Achillies Tang ich

tom2

Achillies may have ich... Not able to take a picture at the moment because he moves to fast and hides a bit but I may be able to take a video in a bit? Also I don't really have a QT tank..

Any methods would be appreciated!

Achilles are prone to Ich and it's not uncommon for them to break out in spots for two days, once or twice a year. I would feed seaweed every day and possibly soak it in garlic. If it starts to get worse or affects his appetite then you'll have to do something. You could try something like Melafix to treat in tank, but I haven't used it. It's supposed to be safe, but I don't believe labels. The other option would be fish trap and quarantine. You could borrow a QT from another member, or a tub if you're a premium member. I would think it would have to be at least a 40b for that fish.

Here's the thing about an achilles tang (and this applies to powder blue tangs in my opinion), both fish have no immunity to ich. Most other tangs/fishes will get over it and they'll be fine. Hippo tangs are prone but if in good conditions and eating, will get over it. Neither the achilles or PBT will. They will both slowly die from ich if its in your system. Obviously with any rule, their are exceptions to it and some are able to keep these tangs in ich-maintenanced tanks (ich is present but not overly active).

Only treatment I would recommend is to setup a QT tank and treat the fish. You can use either tank transfer method, copper, or chloroquine phosphate. I would recommend TTM personally.

That's the easy part. The hard part is running your tank fallow (without fish) for 76 days until all ich has cleared from the tank. Then you can put the fish back in. That's not it though. Now you have to make sure it never gets into the tank again. Now you have to QT everything from this point before it goes into your tank. Assume everything has ich on it, this includes corals, fish, and CUC.

In the end, I only recommend the fish for advanced hobbyists that are willing to put in the time and effort to make sure they have an ich-free tank and QT everything before it comes into the tank for at least 30-45 days, but probably should do it 76 days as well just to be safe.

If you don't want to deal with all the mess that I outlined above, I would highly advise you to just rehome the fish to someone who is willing to do all of the above. I know of one guy right now that just recently lost his achilles but has been working on an ich-free tank that would more than love to probably take it off your hands. I'm sure he'll speak up if you are looking to part ways from it.

I just went through this with an achilles. Ty can attest... Mine showed signs of ich but had a great appetite and never missed a meal...he always ate like a pig. Then one day he didn't eat. Luckily I was able to catch him the next day in into QT. He never ate again and lasted about 3 weeks before finally dieing. I'd get him in QT a.s.a.p. to give him a chance.

Archived