What are your other hobbies?

Too many is the first problem. But it helps me not think and deal with my PTSD. First off, I'm an aspiring cook/ butcher working to become a chef one day. I love the culinary industry in Austin.

Of course, Reefing. I also try and maintain an heirloom garden in my backyard. But it's currently put on hold. Because the wife and I are always arguing about watering the garden. Lol, she agreed she would water and I would maintain and upkeep. Didn't go as planned. But it's one of my favorite things to do. I have a wood shop in my garage. I build furniture, but only when I need it. I tried selling custom furniture. But people complain too much how expensive it is.

I go to the gym Monday through Friday. Again, another way of coping with my past. Those are the main things I try and focus on. Aside from honey do's and what not. I love to hunt and love building Guns. But it's something that takes time. Building Guns doesn't require a lot of time. It requires money lol. So I don't really consider it a hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same PTSD boat, among other things. It does help to keep busy. I love cooking too and especially baking. I inherited some awesome old cookbooks from my grandmother and they are very inspiring. And challenging! Lots of details are left out the majority of the time. I thought of pursuing a bakery business but I'm afraid I won't enjoy it if I have to do it full time. Commitment issues too. Kudos to you for setting that goal. Keep me updated.

What kind of game do you enjoy hunting?

• Like 1

Too many is the first problem. But it helps me not think and deal with my PTSD. First off, I'm an aspiring cook/ butcher working to become a chef one day. I love the culinary industry in Austin.

Of course, Reefing. I also try and maintain an heirloom garden in my backyard. But it's currently put on hold. Because the wife and I are always arguing about watering the garden. Lol, she agreed she would water and I would maintain and upkeep. Didn't go as planned. But it's one of my favorite things to do. I have a wood shop in my garage. I build furniture, but only when I need it. I tried selling custom furniture. But people complain too much how expensive it is.

I go to the gym Monday through Friday. Again, another way of coping with my past. Those are the main things I try and focus on. Aside from honey do's and what not. I love to hunt and love building Guns. But it's something that takes time. Building Guns doesn't require a lot of time. It requires money lol. So I don't really consider it a hobby.

I'm in the same PTSD boat, among other things. It does help to keep busy. I love cooking too and especially baking. I inherited some awesome old cookbooks from my grandmother and they are very inspiring. And challenging! Lots of details are left out the majority of the time. I thought of pursuing a bakery business but I'm afraid I won't enjoy it if I have to do it full time. Commitment issues too. Kudos to you for setting that goal. Keep me updated.

What kind of game do you enjoy hunting?

It's different when it's a business over for fun. I work at salt and time in Austin and love what I'm doing, but there's been other places I've worked where I would regret it. Mainly because of management.

I've learned a lot from books. Most of the things I practice I pickup from reading. And then try to improve at home or work.

As far as hunting, all game is fair game I don't trophy hunt, I care more about the meat. I've been dove hunting every day since season opened. Wild boar, antelope, and deer are my favorite meats and offals.

• Like 1

Honestly reefing is taking up most of my time and all of my brain space right now.

Still get out on the road bike every now and then, but after the MS150 is over, I take a break, and then it's 100+ for a couple of months, so I've really got to make an effort to get my miles in. Buddy is trying to get me to do the Hotter'n Hell again, but not sure if I'm up for it. Oddly enough, the 100mi is the least of the issues - getting a crew together to drive to Wichita Falls and rent a room/take a camper for Fri and Sat is a MUCH bigger pain in the rear than the ride.

Not sure I get on the slopes enough to call snowboarding a hobby, but still get at least 1 trip to the mountains each winter.

In the fall, I'm part of a good sized tailgate crew down in San Marcos. Prepping food, cooking, setting up and tearing down takes a ton of time and effort - I typically start on Thurs for a Sat game. Make at least 1 away game every year too - UH, Tulsa and Florida State the last couple of years, aiming for Appalachian St this year and definitely going to Boulder next year for the CU game.

Need to get scuba certified for sure. Always wanted to, and there's really no reason not to.

Not really a hobby, but I follow Formula1 and dork out pretty hard about it. Wake up early on Sunday race days and wear my team shirt, even though I'm watching alone on my couch...

Sounds like we're all a bunch of injured athletes.

That definitely killed two of my main interests. I played lacrosse through college and then men's league until I suffered a pretty bad foot injury. I was already getting slower due to age (34) and the kids coming out of college were noticeably quicker and faster - being a wiley vet only goes so far! By the time I recovered from my injury at 36, I just wasn't competitive. Played in the TXST-SWT alumni game at age 40 just to prove I could, but won't be lacing them up anytime soon. I was wakeboarding a ton at that time as well, getting behind the boat 3 or 4 times a week. By the time I came back, my friends w/ boats had infants or were working deals in other towns so all my mooch riding dried up, and when I could get out there, I was always busting up my left shoulder (the arm I hold the handle w/ and gets jerked out when you crash). I miss being young and agile. :(
i was born in WF.

Who's going to the Lone Star Lemans race next weekend? I'm gonna go out there on Saturday. I've freed up some of my expendable income since I've filled my tanks with stuff here at the house. Can't buy more expensive things if I don't have room for them :).

Smells like a challenge...... :)

• Like 1

Holy fish, what kind of fish is that?

And yes, Reburn... it's a challenge. Lol. I need to maybe re-aquascape my 34G because a lot of stuff is taking up realestate on the sand.

* Yesterday I cleaned out the 75G because the last little 1 inch of water in the bottom had all the crud that wasn't siphoned out with the vinegar water I cleaned the tank with.

* I want to move everything I have into the 75G and get it set up but I'm not prepared to spend a small fortune on the salt water needed to fill it up yet. I think it will be close to $100 in salt water if I don't get my RODI set up and buy a bucket of salt to mix myself.

* I hooked up my Cebu Sun T5/MH fixture yesterday, all the lights work great in it so it's probably time to order some replacements to have on hand. I'm sure this is going to be in the $200 range to get all of the lights (at least). The ballasts are kinda loud once they're plugged in.

* I want to mount the light hanging from the ceiling and I'd also like to measure the power draw on the entire fixture. It has 5 power chords for it total: 2 for the one-sided MH bulbs, 2 for the T5 fixtures (4 lights total), and 1 for the intake/exhaust fans. I expect this light to put of quite a bit of heat so it will be situated directly below where one of the home's a/c vents is blowing to scrub off the heat in that area.

I just don't know that I'm ready to pull the trigger on setting up the 75G. I have a feeling if I do I'll be spending money again and the last month or so I've been able to NOT spend money on the tanks because they're full. I like this because it's allowed me to do some other things I wanted to do like Pre-Order the new Destiny Rise of Iron and the new BattleField 1 games. :D I dunno, I don't suppose I'm in a rush.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Well. Since my son was born this month I got some time off from work. Proud and thrilled to have made the time to make a substantial upgrade to the gym. Carried off the old wobbly rusted and corroded squat rack with one arm down to the curb, and replaced it with a nice new 4 post rack, and made a simple but clean and functional deadlift platform for it as well. Hit the weights today for the first time in a month. Numbers have fallen a bit, bit with Improved (and safer) gear, I'll get them back up in a couple weeks
b78d5961b70092c2be88d64ca5641550.jpg
a08919b227cbd7fe5d8884a27a20fc71.jpg

• Like 2

I haven't gotten into scotch yet, but I love me some bourbon! We should have a reef tank/tasting session. Kind of like the ARC happy hour, but more on the higher end!
One of my "hobbies" got out of hand today. Been working on replacing all the windows of my house with double paned Windows and ended up starting a bathroom remodel while replacing a window today. I've been secretly wanting to remodel this bathroom, but don't tell my wife I wanted this to happen!
169c2bcc94bc02fe736d7cee043c3f16.jpg
8 hours later...
d605ddbdac34f32663432aa55315ba6c.jpg

Woo! Forgot to update this one [emoji57]
7200211b2464c5003a2ada9fcfb569c1.jpg
6566383473765b07bb5cc90a24ec3e9f.jpg
  • Like 2

I've added 3D printing, but honestly it was primarily to make parts for my other hobbies.  If you're interested in something that is relatively plug and play I recommend the Wanhao I3 Duplicator Plus.  Assembly was really just attaching 4 screws and plugging in a few cables.  I had my first print turn out flawlessly less than 30 mins after unboxing.  There is a bit of a learning curve, but this thing is awesome.

https://3dprint.com/141699/wanhao-duplicator-i3-plus/ 

This was the first tank thing I printed(a floating fish feeder):

14ec6da61ded42ca5df88157b01ae901_preview

i3plus-240x300[1].jpeg

• Like 1

I've added 3D printing, but honestly it was primarily to make parts for my other hobbies.  If you're interested in something that is relatively plug and play I recommend the Wanhao I3 Duplicator Plus.  Assembly was really just attaching 4 screws and plugging in a few cables.  I had my first print turn out flawlessly less than 30 mins after unboxing.  There is a bit of a learning curve, but this thing is awesome.
https://3dprint.com/141699/wanhao-duplicator-i3-plus/ 
This was the first tank thing I printed(a floating fish feeder):
14ec6da61ded42ca5df88157b01ae901_preview_featured.jpg
5890cd5cd1c3f_i3plus-240x3001.jpeg.dcb7e506685f2062558572a7500aa79f.jpeg

Nice! Is the whole feeding ring printed too, or just the screen? Looks super sharp.

The entire ring is printed as one piece, mesh included.  Since the body has a low fill rate (it's not solid plastic), it floats.  I'll be modifying the original design to include a ring to either tie a line on or I'll print a clip that attaches to it to hold it to the side of the aquarium. It's a user called shorny's design, I just printed it.

c26be60cfd1ba40772b5ac48b95ab19b_preview

The entire ring is printed as one piece, mesh included.  Since the body has a low fill rate (it's not solid plastic), it floats.  I'll be modifying the original design to include a ring to either tie a line on or I'll print a clip that attaches to it to hold it to the side of the aquarium. It's a user called shorny's design, I just printed it.

c26be60cfd1ba40772b5ac48b95ab19b_preview_featured.jpg

What's the purpose behind the mesh screen exactly?

I generally feed frozen foods to my tank.  Every month or so I'll make up my food blend and freeze it into cubes in an ice tray (using RODI water).  It makes it easy when I have someone watching house or if my wife and son need to feed the tanks.  They know the big tank gets 3 cubes, the small tank 1, etc.  

Because I have a peninsula tank, if you just drop the cubes in the tank the wavemaker pushes them against the overflow and all the food goes down the drain as the cubes melt. This left us having to manually melt them in a cup and then pour them in, which was forgotten often enough after melting but before pouring to be a problem. This allows me to drop the cubes in it and as they melt they do a gradual feed from the far end of the tank.

On 1/30/2017 at 8:42 PM, Bpb said:
Well. Since my son was born this month I got some time off from work. Proud and thrilled to have made the time to make a substantial upgrade to the gym. Carried off the old wobbly rusted and corroded squat rack with one arm down to the curb, and replaced it with a nice new 4 post rack, and made a simple but clean and functional deadlift platform for it as well. Hit the weights today for the first time in a month. Numbers have fallen a bit, bit with Improved (and safer) gear, I'll get them back up in a couple weeks
b78d5961b70092c2be88d64ca5641550.jpg
a08919b227cbd7fe5d8884a27a20fc71.jpg

Nice,I work for Nutrabolt (Cellucor) in Bryan

• 2 years later...
On 6/9/2016 at 10:02 PM, BobcatReefer said:

My "bmx" rig. Haven't taken it off any sweet jumps though...

Has a new black DK stem, and I bought black rims, but only 32h because I'm stoopid. Need to order the 36h and hubs and get the new wheels built. This project is the one most impacted by my tank. It's definitely taken a backseat the last year or so.
270757_10201132902030457_1431036484_n.jp

Finally got this build completed.  Only thing left to do is the custom decals, but it's tough finding gold foil/chrome.  Can you guess what the theme is?

Bandit-a.jpg

Bandit-b.jpg

Bandit-c.jpg

Bandit-d.jpg

Bandit-e.jpg

Bandit-f.jpg

Bandit-g.jpg

Been putting in the miles lately too.  Knocked down about 150 in the last 2 weeks.  Pretty cool app that tracks them:

https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10005671303
https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10005490690
https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10005416940

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jolt said:

Nice.  My guess is the theme is "Bobcat colors"!

Bobcat colors are maroon and gold! :lol::lol:

11 minutes ago, Dogfish said:

Boston Bruins ???

75 a week is pretty impressive.  Especially on that bike.

Strava or Map My Ride ?

Bruins is fitting, especially given tonight's game...and the fact that I'm wearing a Chara shirt right now.  I do have some custom Bruins decals coming in, and one will go on the bike.

However, this is the theme:

57194534_361087894532982_8189605350379356160_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQmgXZyjf6EDdbiFb07BqgzAQexbgPiq3aIi4Fat8yP-SfT93YKx9vMOdrLyniSanZA&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=d0b4383bf9d671cb08a189b64e7292e9&oe=5D7AAEEF

I'm even growing out my mustache for the BMX Roundup coming up at the end of the month, have a red pearl snap shirt on order.  Just need to find the right aviators to complete the look!