What are your other hobbies?

• 2 months later...

I know this thread is old and all but forgotten but I'm new and I want to play :)

My hobbies are photography, making homemade body scrubs, lotions, ect., and baking. I really need to lay off the baking. Noah has gained 20 pounds since April! I love to bake though so to get it out of my system maybe I'll bring something to the meeting (s) if that's OK.

I also love science: Space, ocean (duh), genetics... those are the big ones. Noah and I emerse ourselves in nerd on a daily basis. We love to theorize about time travel, black holes, worm holes, undiscovered life, on and off the planet.

I'm also a huge Trekie, TNG. But I have a great respect for the original series, I just don't watch it as much.

This may bother some of you, but I also love Star Wars

I seriously think I'm the biggest nerd I know, Noah next ;)

• Like 2

I know this thread is old and all but forgotten but I'm new and I want to play smile.png

My hobbies are photography, making homemade body scrubs, lotions, ect., and baking. I really need to lay off the baking. Noah has gained 20 pounds since April! I love to bake though so to get it out of my system maybe I'll bring something to the meeting (s) if that's OK.

I also love science: Space, ocean (duh), genetics... those are the big ones. Noah and I emerse ourselves in nerd on a daily basis. We love to theorize about time travel, black holes, worm holes, undiscovered life, on and off the planet.

I'm also a huge Trekie, TNG. But I have a great respect for the original series, I just don't watch it as much.

I seriously think I'm the biggest nerd I know, Noah next wink.png

I have an 11 year old daughter who somehow enrolled herself in 3 science classes this year, you all definitely sound right up our alley. We're star wars, star trek, firefly, red dwarf, and just about any other sci fi nuts as well.

• Like 1

My other hobbies are Jeeping, ham radio and most of all bass fishing. All the super expensive ones. I also enjoy photography, but need lots and lots of help. My old 92 gallon corner tank filled with sps got me very interested in macro photography. Now I have a dslr and need to take lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know this thread is old and all but forgotten but I'm new and I want to play smile.png

I seriously think I'm the biggest nerd I know, Noah next wink.png

I have an 11 year old daughter who somehow enrolled herself in 3 science classes this year, you all definitely sound right up our alley. We're star wars, star trek, firefly, red dwarf, and just about any other sci fi nuts as well.

Haha! Three science classes! That's awesome. I hope you have a hefty college savings plan. I plan on getting rich sometime in the next 13 years. [emoji12]

Otherwise it's nice knowing I'm among like-minded!

My other hobbies are Jeeping, ham radio and most of all bass fishing. All the super expensive ones. I also enjoy photography, but need lots and lots of help. My old 92 gallon corner tank filled with sps got me very interested in macro photography. Now I have a dslr and need to take lessons.

Derailing... Do you do any jeeping around here? We left our jeep at our family's house up in Colorado because we never found anywhere nearby to go. Figured there some stuff towards Fredericksburg or Kerrville, but really never had much use for the jeep down here.

Couldn't help on that one but I used to go to Zars as a kid a lot on the '95 XR100 I had.

http://clubdbsa.org/riding.html

Also, for the person that asked about HAM radio, it is a way of communicating with other people over very long distances made up of DIY infrastructure. Basically when the cell towers are f'd for some reason the people that have HAM radios will be the ones helping everyone else coordinate and communicate. I purposefully didn't mention zombie apocalypse because it's silly and brought up a lot in the discussions about how/where HAM will be most important. If you have line of sight to another radio within 20 miles or a HAM tower you can communicate. There are people that talk to others on the other side of the world for "free" (only the cost of your radio equipment). You have to get licensed to transmit because there are rules but there's nothing keeping you from buying a 2 pair set of $30 baofeng radios and listening to what old nerds are talking about. I'm probably going to be one of those old nerds one day, my uncle has a HAM tower that he built in his back yard and a ton of crazy equipment.

Derailing... Do you do any jeeping around here? We left our jeep at our family's house up in Colorado because we never found anywhere nearby to go. Figured there some stuff towards Fredericksburg or Kerrville, but really never had much use for the jeep down here.

I have only been once, but there is an "off road adventure park" in Marble Falls. It's called Hidden Falls. It's a very nice place and the Austin jeep community is always doing things out there. My family vacation most years is a trip to Colorado. Nothing like doing all the jeep trails up in the mountains. We are usually in the Silverton area. e76c53e869c7c883045c469f5970f122.jpg

d6c4e248d39129f020513301c25f862d.jpg

That's a serious antenna. The house we had in Michigan, the previous owner was a ham guy and had some huge antenna in the back yard. The realtors told him to remove it before listing. We could still see the mounts.

I have only been once, but there is an "off road adventure park" in Marble Falls. It's called Hidden Falls. It's a very nice place and the Austin jeep community is always doing things out there. My family vacation most years is a trip to Colorado. Nothing like doing all the jeep trails up in the mountains. We are usually in the Silverton area. e76c53e869c7c883045c469f5970f122.jpg

d6c4e248d39129f020513301c25f862d.jpg

Nice, is that one at the top of Hurricane?

We're from about 2.5 hours East of Ouray, further from Silverton, but have done a ton in that area, engineer, ophir, imogene, blackbear once (never again under any circumstance ever...), and more East of this area, Crested Butte, Salida, Buena Vista, etc. I think the ones in the San Juans are the best for views by far, even the ones more like dirt roads are just amazing.

That is at the top of hurricane. It's lake como. In 2014 my wife and I spent 2 days in Estes Park, 2 days in Grant and 2 days in Marble. We did the trail through Crystal City to Crested Butte. By way of the "Devil's Punch Bowl". It was a beautiful drive. My wife and I loved Crested Butte.

Dan, tons of people ask me what all channels I get. They think it's a TV antenna. Haha. Luckily for me my neighborhood has no HOA. Probably not so lucky for the neighbors. So far nobody has complained. I try to keep is an low on the eye sore scale as possible.

That is at the top of hurricane. It's lake como. In 2014 my wife and I spent 2 days in Estes Park, 2 days in Grant and 2 days in Marble. We did the trail through Crystal City to Crested Butte. By way of the "Devil's Punch Bowl". It was a beautiful drive. My wife and I loved Crested Butte.

Here's a few of ours from the punch bowl:

11694089_10206100151201224_9160117094465

13700169_10208463115673859_5153041647638

They had a massive rock slide last spring, so it got a lot gnarlier. It was completely impassable for a while but the forest service and some volunteers got it cleared up enough to get over it.

Last time I was on it, we had to stop a family from Texas ( no offense anyone) down at crystal mill from trying to drive up it in an Excursion. I'm not sure if we succeeded, but hopefully they got stuck or turned around before it got too dangerous. Up until about 6 or 7 years ago, there were still a bunch of jeeps and trucks down in the river. Looks a lot nicer now, but I almost wish they kept them down there as a reminder.

It is definitely not something to be taken lightly. I've done black bear 4 times. This year when we had passed the point of no turning around it started storming and pouring. So all the way down the steps and switchbacks it was raining and very foggy.

It is definitely not something to be taken lightly. I've done black bear 4 times. This year when we had passed the point of no turning around it started storming and pouring. So all the way down the steps and switchbacks it was raining and very foggy.

I do not like that road, can't imagine it in the rain. The exposure is just way too much and sliding 10 - 15 ft just thinking of braking doesn't even qualify as unnerving when sitting above a 2000 ft cliff. I'd mountain bike it..., but not going to jeep it again.

Too many is the first problem. But it helps me not think and deal with my PTSD. First off, I'm an aspiring cook/ butcher working to become a chef one day. I love the culinary industry in Austin.

Of course, Reefing. I also try and maintain an heirloom garden in my backyard. But it's currently put on hold. Because the wife and I are always arguing about watering the garden. Lol, she agreed she would water and I would maintain and upkeep. Didn't go as planned. But it's one of my favorite things to do. I have a wood shop in my garage. I build furniture, but only when I need it. I tried selling custom furniture. But people complain too much how expensive it is.

I go to the gym Monday through Friday. Again, another way of coping with my past. Those are the main things I try and focus on. Aside from honey do's and what not. I love to hunt and love building Guns. But it's something that takes time. Building Guns doesn't require a lot of time. It requires money lol. So I don't really consider it a hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2