DIY Deluxe frozen feeder/thawer

TxSkyGuy

So I have really gotten tired of thawing my frozen food cubes, mixing them and pouring them into the tank only to have half of it end up rotting in the sand, so much so that I almost spent $25 on this bad boy

6b982ac7418df8243a028f7e6b5d8656.jpg

But, at my wife's urging (read: order) to not spend any more money on that tank, I thought I might try to make my own. All be it not as pretty, but just as functional.

I took two of those pill containers from walgreens, (I had some laying around, but they will give them away if you ask nicely) the ones with the non child proof cap and child proof cap, and my drill, and made one myself.

402eab9c2400fc1c65620d4934a4ba9e.jpg

I just took a drill and drilled out the cap to make a "mesh" screen, and then drilled two holes to mimic the design of the other one, and viola! Diy fish feeder.

50e9a141a745091adebfe6f426b0aa5a.jpg

a10527328a97af4420eb9bc90303d6d1.jpg

And I attached it with an old suction cup on ring I had, no fancy magnets for me!

Now it feeds my frozen mysis shrimp cubes slowly enough that my fish can eat 100% of the food! And I dont have to spend 5-10 mins babysitting the food! Ill post a video of it in action once I feed here in a bit!

Woohoo!! Free upgrades!!!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

So I have really gotten tired of thawing my frozen food cubes, mixing them and pouring them into the tank only to have half of it end up rotting in the sand, so much so that I almost spent $25 on this bad boy

But, at my wife's urging (read: order) to not spend any more money on that tank, I thought I might try to make my own. All be it not as pretty, but just as functional.

I took two of those pill containers from walgreens, (I had some laying around, but they will give them away if you ask nicely) the ones with the non child proof cap and child proof cap, and my drill, and made one myself.

I just took a drill and drilled out the cap to make a "mesh" screen, and then drilled two holes to mimic the design of the other one, and viola! Diy fish feeder.

And I attached it with an old suction cup on ring I had, no fancy magnets for me!

Now it feeds my frozen mysis shrimp cubes slowly enough that my fish can eat 100% of the food! And I dont have to spend 5-10 mins babysitting the food! Ill post a video of it in action once I feed here in a bit!

This thread may be right up your alley sir.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/index.php?/topic/21658-Cheap-tricks

1. I like how you included the word "Deluxe" on a $0.32 project. Building value through branding! biggrin.png

2. Help me understand the cap in the middle... Is that 1 piece? It looks like it is a female thread on the bottom and a male thread on the top, but the top pill container has male threading. Is the top container just placed on there, or screwed on?

Its one of those pill tops that has the child proof cap on one side and the arthritis cap on the other, so it will thresd onto the same size pill container both ways.

This thread may be right up your alley sir.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/index.php?/topic/21658-Cheap-tricks

Loved It!!!

I cant get the video to post, any tricks?

In the "Full Edit" mode click the button just to the left of Font marked "Special BB Code". From the dropdown pick "Media", then put your url in (http, not https)

That's pretty cool! Anxiously awaiting the video to see it in action

Want to help me design a cheap/free one of these http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/magfeeder-magnetic-feeding-ring-two-little-fishies.html

$20 seems pretty crazy for a rubber ring... maybe a small section of pvc?

i have the $5 version of that - got it at the dome.

Archived