First let me just say my husband and I have a deal- I do all the biology and chemistry with the tank and he does all the electrical, plumbing and technology...so this is NOT my area. (maybe I should have him set up his own ARC account)

But, he wants to make a DIY controller with a Raspberry Pi, so I want to know:

1. What does your controller do?

2. Anyone have a DIY controller? any experience to share?

3. What all can something like the Apex do?

I'd like it to have temp & pH sensors, maybe control the powerheads & lights. What else should we be thinking about?

Thanks!

Failsafes for Heaters and Chillers to turn on or off when out of params

Also controllers for switches and solenoids depending on what equipment you're running.

Also text and email notification when something is out of parameter.

I use my Apex for all kinds of things ranging from timers for lights and dosing to controlling the speed and wave action of my pumps. Email alerts are very nice to have when power goes out, water is on the floor, temperature or pH are out of my pre-set ranges. I have IF/THEN statements to turn on/off fans and heaters if the aquarium temperature gets outside of the desirable range. There are all kinds of things you can do with a controller, sure makes life a lot easier.

Having wireless remote control is a must, especially if you travel a lot for work and want to keep an eye on things and control things while you're away.

I would strongly advocate not DIYing this unless you're cool torching your tank. For the amount of time you'll spend, the Apex is so far beyond the capabilities of what you could produce with a Pi, it's just not worth it (this is coming from a tinkerer) AND its got a large support base with tons of testing on the hardware. There may be things you cant do with an apex, but if you needed one-off functionality (some probe that apex doesnt support) then pi might be a great fit.

A DIY controller would be a pretty big project. Not that it can't be done, it just may be one of those cases where you shouldn't reinvent the wheel.

That said, I always see this thread on reefcentral that appears to have a lot of good info on DIY controllers: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2332822&highlight=controller

Heres a link from BRS with some info -

This just came out today! how timely :) We've been watching this series, it's been very informative. Common statement at my house "Ryan from BRS told me xyz"

I would strongly advocate not DIYing this unless you're cool torching your tank. For the amount of time you'll spend, the Apex is so far beyond the capabilities of what you could produce with a Pi, it's just not worth it (this is coming from a tinkerer) AND its got a large support base with tons of testing on the hardware. There may be things you cant do with an apex, but if you needed one-off functionality (some probe that apex doesnt support) then pi might be a great fit.

Sounds like very reasonable advice. For now this is more a fun project/ possible use for this Raspberry Pi thing. We'll definitely start small with things like temp & pH sensor & move on to actually controlling things if that goes well.

It depends on what you need from a controller. I once asked what a controller could do and it would be an easier question to ask what you need it to do instead.

• Turning your tank lights on and off is simple. Use a lamp timer.
  • Controllers give you the ability to turn things off with a click of a button. You could use one of those power centers with the red buttons.
  • Co2 a big thing that I use a controller for. I don't know of another way to control the solenoid without a controller. I tried to use the reactor without the controller once and lost every fish that I had.
  • Some people use controllers for wave functions.If that is something that you want then you can get an external wave maker.
  • I saw someone program the controller to turn on a light when they open the stand. Pretty useful, but you could get a motion activated light or something with an on/off switch.

I'm not a very good example because I'm pretty low tech. There's are a lot of cool things that you could do if you wanted to. I don't personally think they're essential, but it's convenient to consolidate many little things into one piece of equipment.

It depends on what you need from a controller. I once asked what a controller could do and it would be an easier question to ask what you need it to do instead.

• Turning your tank lights on and off is simple. Use a lamp timer.
  • Controllers give you the ability to turn things off with a click of a button. You could use one of those power centers with the red buttons.
  • Co2 a big thing that I use a controller for. I don't know of another way to control the solenoid without a controller. I tried to use the reactor without the controller once and lost every fish that I had.
  • Some people use controllers for wave functions.If that is something that you want then you can get an external wave maker.
  • I saw someone program the controller to turn on a light when they open the stand. Pretty useful, but you could get a motion activated light or something with an on/off switch.

I'm not a very good example because I'm pretty low tech. There's are a lot of cool things that you could do if you wanted to. I don't personally think they're essential, but it's convenient to consolidate many little things into one piece of equipment.

Personally, I'm with you on this one, but I'm the biology/chemistry person and the husband is the tech guy. The only thing I'm really into with this so far is having a pH sensor with constant readout. Otherwise, yeah, I can flip a switch for the powerheads, lights have their own controller...automatic light when opening the stand would be kinda cool. Text alerts when something is out of range would be pretty nice too.

Thanks for all the input! Good to see what some options are and get some thoughts and cautionary advice!

I'm beta testing a whole house controller for a company that is a touch screen and an app that can control a lot of functions you would want to control for your home. Everything from lights to appliances to door locks and home security. Everything wireless. It will control just about everything for my tank (kinda sorta). It has the ability to turn power up and down to equipment and on and off. Also can set rules. But no way to read probes...yet. I told the developers about my tank and they are working on it on their own time to see how much it would take to incorporate those functions. The biggest problem is that the system cost $5700 for basic functions. What I have in my house is probably $22000. So even if they worked it out no one could really afford it. But it's super cool. It even has cameras you can see from the app on your phone.

So I guess my point is that building your own is completely doable but why reinvent the wheel like stated above.

Hi Heather.

I made a Pi Controller with a Model A and an 8 relay module but upgraded to an Apex later on my DT. I do continue to use it on a second tank though.

I used it to do the simple stuff like turn lights and carbon filter and skimmer on and off, but also to do a little more advanced like oscillate the powerheads, monitor temp with a DS18B20 from adafruit to keep some control over the heater. Also used it to control a Tom's Aqualifter for an ATO with a pair of float switches in series to keep from overfilling the tank.

Added a 16 channel PWM module (not in the pic below) that I used as a dimmer/controller for a cheap Marineland LED strip. It would ramp up in the AM and down in the PM.

I never added a PH probe. While it would've been nice, I had my Kalkwasser dialed in pretty good so I would just test the PH/Alk to make sure I was on target with my Kalk.

I would like'd to have added a Web UI, but the Pi I was using was a Model A with very little RAM/CPU and I was already struggling with performance. I now use a Model B+ - but i still haven't added the Web UI. Either way... that means it is all driven from the command line.

My only other complaint - and this is more to do with the 8 relay module - is that it is loud. Relays opening and closing suck to hear all the time. For what it's worth - outlet's 4 and 8 on the Apex make the same noise, but I don't use them for frequent switching on and off.

Included a pic - but please ignore my breadboard wiring, it could land me in the ghetto rigs thread on ReefCentral ;-)

PiController-1024x592.jpg

I'll also add - the Raspberry Pi has one advantage over the Apex - you can plug a $5 WiFi adapter right into the USB port. that aint happening with an Apex and the Wireless Extension Module. smile.png

People seem to like the water sensor as well. I'm not sure how you could do that one.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

For water level I assume? Or for something else?

I'm beta testing a whole house controller for a company that is a touch screen and an app that can control a lot of functions you would want to control for your home. Everything from lights to appliances to door locks and home security. Everything wireless. It will control just about everything for my tank (kinda sorta). It has the ability to turn power up and down to equipment and on and off. Also can set rules. But no way to read probes...yet. I told the developers about my tank and they are working on it on their own time to see how much it would take to incorporate those functions. The biggest problem is that the system cost $5700 for basic functions. What I have in my house is probably $22000. So even if they worked it out no one could really afford it. But it's super cool. It even has cameras you can see from the app on your phone.

So I guess my point is that building your own is completely doable but why reinvent the wheel like stated above.

I'm going to hide this from my husband! He would LOVE that!! It is pretty cool and probably not all that far in the future will be more affordable. My husband has been searching for an outlet on which to unleash his programming skills, so he's all about reinventing the wheel on this :) Although quite a few people have done it and I guess they all share code and info, so he doesn't have to reinvent everything

Hi Heather.

I made a Pi Controller with a Model A and an 8 relay module but upgraded to an Apex later on my DT. I do continue to use it on a second tank though.

I used it to do the simple stuff like turn lights and carbon filter and skimmer on and off, but also to do a little more advanced like oscillate the powerheads, monitor temp with a DS18B20 from adafruit to keep some control over the heater. Also used it to control a Tom's Aqualifter for an ATO with a pair of float switches in series to keep from overfilling the tank.

Added a 16 channel PWM module (not in the pic below) that I used as a dimmer/controller for a cheap Marineland LED strip. It would ramp up in the AM and down in the PM.

I never added a PH probe. While it would've been nice, I had my Kalkwasser dialed in pretty good so I would just test the PH/Alk to make sure I was on target with my Kalk.

I would like'd to have added a Web UI, but the Pi I was using was a Model A with very little RAM/CPU and I was already struggling with performance. I now use a Model B+ - but i still haven't added the Web UI. Either way... that means it is all driven from the command line.

My only other complaint - and this is more to do with the 8 relay module - is that it is loud. Relays opening and closing suck to hear all the time. For what it's worth - outlet's 4 and 8 on the Apex make the same noise, but I don't use them for frequent switching on and off.

Included a pic - but please ignore my breadboard wiring, it could land me in the ghetto rigs thread on ReefCentral ;-)

PiController-1024x592.jpg

Wow!! That's really cool, and I only understand about half of it! I'll definitely share with the husband, he'll really geek out over this! Mind if I let him PM you if he wants more detail/info?

Hey I'm beta testing for a house control system too! My father in law works on them and got me a full system. Super nice being able to control the temperature of the house if my aquarium heater or fans just aren't cutting it. I can't imagine living without it anymore.

Water senor line for you're floor. Some companies call it a leak detector. It's basically a dry line that triggers if it senses any moisture.

My control has a built in ATO function that i'm anxious to set up.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Archived