What's your favorite wrasse?

FarmerTy

So, doesn't have to be one you have currently or ever had... but if you had to choose one wrasse to put into your tank, which one would you get?

I'm currently contemplating stocking plans since my wrasses all got murdered.

I love wrasses, probably my favorite type of fish (OK, porcupine puffers are always number 1). Honestly, all of the wrasses we have are really awesome. I don't think I could pick a favorite. They each have a unique personality and are so darn beautiful. I think many people admire our Labouti when they see it in person, as pictures just never show it's true colors - plus he's a character. Lazy, yet playful, and seems very inquisitive. However, the Mystery is also awesome, and our Scott's is neurotic which is lovable in it's own way.

I loved my red headed salon fairy wrasse before I murdered him getting him out of the overflow. nopity.gif

My favorite fish in the tank now is not a wrasse but a flame hawk fish. Very very pretty and a hoot to watch. But I think he ate all 15 Aptasia eating shrimp I put in there so no ornamental shrimp with this guy.

Choates leopard wrasse and Blue Flasher Wrasse (peacock flasher wrasse) (Paracheilinus cyaneus)

But I love all wrasses.

Blue at rest (not my pics)

post-3632-0-85180900-1461940227_thumb.jp

Blue flashing (not my pics)

post-3632-0-63039000-1461940271.jpeg

Great topic! I really want a wrasse eventually. I'm definitely googling everyone's favs :) I have two favs at the moment(based completely on web research as I have yet to own a wrasse) the carpenter's flasher and the blue star leopard. But the carpenter's flasher is a jumper and I don't have a cover on my tank, and the blue star leopard is often a picky eater (and needs live food to hunt) and needs a deep sandbed for sleeping. Not necessarily deal breakers, but I'd need to modify a little for either one.

Great topic! I really want a wrasse eventually. I'm definitely googling everyone's favs smile.png I have two favs at the moment(based completely on web research as I have yet to own a wrasse) the carpenter's flasher and the blue star leopard. But the carpenter's flasher is a jumper and I don't have a cover on my tank, and the blue star leopard is often a picky eater (and needs live food to hunt) and needs a deep sandbed for sleeping. Not necessarily deal breakers, but I'd need to modify a little for either one.

I'm a big fan of leopard wrasses but getting a specimen that was transported well and didn't damage its mouth in transport is the hardest part. They don't necessarily need a traditional deep sand bed (4" or deeper) as one about 2"-3" will do as well. It's definitely one of my favorite fish in the tank and the blue star leopard is a looker of a leopard wrasse.

Yes, any fairy/flasher wrasse, almost any wrasse in general needs to have a covered tank but you can just use the netting to keep the jumpers from getting airborne.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-1-4-netting.html

When I think of my favorite wrasses, I think of Crayons with ADD. I want my wrasses to be pretty to look at, active, and fun to watch. Many of them also perform a good pest service and that is definitely a plus. My favorites are Melanurus, Christmas, Leopard and Lubbock's. They're all active and colorful and you should expect them to move about the tank nonstop through out the day. The first two will eat bristles, pyramids, flatworms and fire worms. The second two are super interesting and fun to have in groups, but both have small mouths and won't eat anything bigger than mysis.

I have owned or currently own all of the wrasses below, but these are just random pictures taken from the internet.

Many wrasses have taken the name "Christmas". Technically, the Christmas Wrasse is either Halichoeres Ornatissimus or Halichoeres Claudia as they were separated into two species a few years ago.

4959570898_991fd10000_b.jpg

Tricolor Lubbock's

764887B7-56AB-49F6-ADA9-A07F7A6B21E8-298

Melanurus

Male coloration

945_pinstripe-wrasse_1.png

Leopard

I actually like the female coloration the best, but the male is nice as well.

LeopardWrasseSM.jpg

Favorite wrasse???? Obviously it's the Napoleon Weasse. 51769cc96d9573a34ee6c40f9db84991.jpg6c996c1efcca9684bd52de6a72f9b7da.jpge6fd898f2746a7ee0df1f50c49adceb7.jpg2aa2ac9a16e6ca1aa4d820a4e540a42d.jpg65e18719b8931928bb62b19f857f8779.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want!

Yep you need one. Because your tanks not already as crowded as a New York subway at rush hour.......

I can charge people to feed it when they come over!

Thanks for the suggestions Sascha! I love my female leopard wrasse! I'm probably aiming to not keep any halichoeres wrasses as I don't want them to destroy my acro crab population. Those crabs are about the size of an M&M so I was aiming to stick with smaller fairy wrasses. There's no surefire guarantee that they won't try to eat them too but at least they have more of a fighting chance with the fairy wrasses.

Archived