C4 - Saturday August 27, 2016

Unfortunately Dr. Matz had a personal conflict come up and will be unable to present. However in a stroke of luck Dr. Matz was able to help arrange Rachel Wright, his graduate student, to present!

Rachel has been using next-generation sequencing tools to study coral health in changing climates. You can learn more about her research on her website: http://rmwright.weebly.com/

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man! I would love to go, but my tank is is cycling. Won't be able to pick anything up [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mainly go because of the speakers and the door prizes. I think I've won something every year I've gone.

The frag swap is just an extra bonus of the conference to me.

I think you just jinxed yourself there Ty

C4 is this weekend! Make sure you RSVP to get free raffle tickets if you haven't already - http://www.capitalcitycoralcorral.com/node/321

You can also like our Facebook page to get more free raffle tickets! https://www.facebook.com/CapitalCityCoralCorral

Attendance is free!

A HUGE thanks to Austin Aqua Dome and River City Aquatics for sponsoring the event! I know all of you already visit them frequently, but when you do be sure to say "Thanks for sponsoring C4!" They appreciate it. Then buy some stuff because they appreciate that even more. smile.png

This one is gonna be big! We've got over 225 RSVP's already, 17 confirmed vendors, 3 food trucks, and 3 amazing speakers!

Again, our speakers are Chris Page from the MOTE Tropical Research Laboratory, Rachel Wright who works at the Matz Lab in the University of Texas (Hook 'em!), and of course Steve Tyree who I'm sure many of you have heard about.

Christopher Page's presentation is "Coral Restoration: Modern Efforts to Rebuild Reefs". Chris is a senior biologist at Mote Marine Laboratory. He oversees the lab culture and outplant of slow growing stony corals for reef restoration. His innovative techniques in asexual and sexual propagation as well as execution of field work, have led to a game changing approach called “Coral Reskinning”. Currently, he manages a facility that propagates and plants thousands of coral fragments per year in the Florida Keys. His interest in coral reefs started from a young age as a diehard reef aquarist in Buffalo, New York. Many techniques used in his projects are adapted and expanded upon from this experience. Ultimately, his goal is to build and maintain ecosystem function, resilient to climate impacts and local stressors.

Rachel Wright's presentation - Studying Coral Health with Next-Gen Sequencing - will present her graduate research revealing mechanisms by which corals manage immune challenges. Corals display extensive variation in immune parameters: some corals are more resistant to disease stress than others. We'll explain why one coral is "better" than another using various laboratory techniques, such as enzymatic immune assays and gene expression profiling. We'll also examine differences in corals' algal and bacterial symbionts via RNA-seq and 16S rRNA sequencing, respectively. These insights into the physiological parameters associated with resistance enhance our understanding of the complex mechanisms of coral disease and facilitate the development of diagnostic tools to assist reef management practices.

Steve Tyree's presentation - Expanding the Zonal Reproduction of Tropical Reef Platforms - Steve has been keeping reefs since 1989/1990. One of the first people in US to buy an Acropora colony from a per store. Has spoken at 4 Macna's, 2 WMCs, England, numerous Clubs, has written 5 books, numerous articles and has owned and operated 3 companies in the captive Reef market. Two current companies are Reeffarmers and the Coral Farmers Market company. Steve has propagated and sold a few thousand coral fragments and has organized over 40 coral shows. His company Reeffarmers will be selling frags so you can pick up some of his amazing corals.

Our currently confirmed vendors:

Austin Aqua-Dome

River City Aquatics

Reef Farmers

Farmer Ty

Frag Co-Op (DaM)

Fraghouse Corals

Frontline Pro Aquatics

Just Reef

Steve Sindt

Unlimited Color Corals

World Class Aquatics

Zen Reef

Dzung Pham

Austin Photo Booth Guy

Bethey Creations

Fish Gallery

Baked By Anna

iJam Partners

I'm working like crazy to get everything ready for the swap! I might have to have another swap at my house or something. There were so many things I didn't have time to frag before I went out of town last week.

Pretty excited this is happening this weekend!

Can you buy corals throughout the day or at specific times? If you buy one early in the day, will the vendors generally hold them until you leave, or what usually happens?

I've seen the most prepared buyers bring little coolers to keep their corals in as they attend the event. It depends on the vendor but generally if you buy something large, they'll hold but otherwise, small frags will need to be taken on purchase.

Can you buy corals throughout the day or at specific times? If you buy one early in the day, will the vendors generally hold them until you leave, or what usually happens?

You can buy anytime during the event. The only exception is that we're asking the vendors to halt sales during the presentations out of respect for the presenters so everyone can participate and hear them speak.

I wouldn't expect vendors to hold, so I would bring a cooler to keep everything at a good temp.

Are the ARC members going to wear - Hi My Name Is- stickers? I know it was a concern for new members about not talking amongst the group at meetings, maybe that would help. Or if we had lanyards for our member cards. You guys may have already addressed this.

C4!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Are the ARC members going to wear - Hi My Name Is- stickers? I know it was a concern for new members about not talking amongst the group at meetings, maybe that would help. Or if we had lanyards for our member cards. You guys may have already addressed this.

C4!!!!!!!!

I'll be wearing the face below in my signature... With slightly less hair. [emoji4]

Just to let you guys know how much work goes into having pretty little corals for you guys to pick up at the conference, most vendors will setup their tanks the night before and then they get to wake up at the crack of dawn to make it to the venue to make sure all the frags are happy and healthy and ready to find their new homes.

At least there is a free workout associated with carrying all those buckets of saltwater. [emoji12]

Looking forward to rehoming some corals today! Help us help you! [emoji4]

C4!!!!!!!!

I'll be wearing the face below in my signature... With slightly less hair. [emoji4]

Hey...I was planning on wearing that face today. Would be really awkward if we both show up in it. spiteful.gif

But don't all those buckets of saltwater turn into buckets of cash? lol

Shhhhh... don't tell everyone that! I might get a lot of volunteers wanting to help me carry buckets after the conference.

C4!!!!!!!!

Hey...I was planning on wearing that face today. Would be really awkward if we both show up in it. spiteful.gif

Careful, we don't want to scare away all the C4 attendees with two of those ugly mugs walking around the conference!

Archived