Jens 240

Jen_McG

Where is the sohal tang Jen, I don't see it in pictures. Love the clean look of the new tank. 

Sadly he didn't make it through quarantine. Fine one min dead the next day. Of course he died on day 16 so no refund for me [emoji22] I hate that he died but it was probably for the better as he was a little devil. Definitely one of the most aggressive fish I've ever seen. Knew they were but he took it to a whole new level!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok need some help, couple things going on. Getting green hair algae on the sand and on the rocks. Also picked up a purple stylo, green birds nest and a red digi. Green birds nest doing well the other two not so much.
Tested the water this morning.
Temp 78
Sg 1.024
Kh 7
Calcium 520? Not sure why it's that high I don't dose and use just coral life salt
Nitrate 10
Phosphate 0.00 Hannah, obviously not right because of the algae or maybe the algae is from running the light to long as I'm having issues with the ati programming software.
a5be8c4f1886d852786dc0be18e8355f.jpg5c0bc4ecf1a52174f581cf85ab74c5f4.jpga2e18f05116f7f0e97e3e88ed0786e90.jpg

Also forgot to mention right now only running carbon and high capacity gfo hoping to get the bio pellets online today. Also plan on doing a 50 gallon water change

Only thing I can think of is tank newness, I know its old rock but lots of small biological changes at the start of any new tank setup, less so with mature rock but I'd still avoid adding new SPS until things settle out.

The other suspicion is high capacity GFO. I used it once and will never use it again, its just too harsh on my SPS so I just use the regular GFO.

Only thing I can think of is tank newness, I know its old rock but lots of small biological changes at the start of any new tank setup, less so with mature rock but I'd still avoid adding new SPS until things settle out.
The other suspicion is high capacity GFO. I used it once and will never use it again, its just too harsh on my SPS so I just use the regular GFO.

You think the high capacity Gfo strips the water to clean to fast?

Exactly. Or at least that's been my experience with it and SPS.

Dang I just bought a new container too....I'm going to switch back to regular and save that container for a rainy day [emoji3]

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing really new and exciting going on....haven't been able to do much with the tank lately with work being busy. Added a few frags of stylo, birds nest, and a couple test acros. Everything seems to be doing well! The acros colored up but still not getting much polyp extension yet. Still one of my favorite corals is this simple easy leather I love it 052c755a65e97b0fada48fa50013df0e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well my luck just keeps getting better....not. So I've never maintained an ich free system. Well sad to say it finally caught up to me. Even though I quarantined all new additions (because I'm deathly afraid of velvet) somehow I think the stress of moving everyone over and adding new fish was just to much for them. To make a long story short, started out to be a few fish with ich here and there to full blown ich party. Which then led to full blown bacteria infections. I could be wrong but I think that's what's going on. Fish are still eating and active but look terrible. Woke up Tuesday morning to my flame hawk laying on his side. Had to go to work so I figured he would be dead when I got back. To my surprise he was still alive. I quickly grabbed a pet food container, added water heater etc and dosed furan-2. Thought for sure he would be dead by morning. Once again he was still alive. Left him in there till today. He's very alert and active so it gave me hope. I just transferred him to my 20 long quarantine. So this weekend looks like I'll be moving all the fish over to a 75 gallon quarantine. All that hard work I put into my scape will be destroyed come this weekend. I dont have time to patiently wait for them to swim in the trap. Tank will be fallow for 72 days ?. So now I have a couple dead fish and one pissed of bf lol. The last thing he wanted was another tank in the house. Enjoy this hobby and fish way to much to give up now. As much of a pain in my rear this whole process is going to be, I know it's worth every minute of the misery. At least now I feel more confident about maintaining a quarantine tank and using meds. Hopefully this will be a fresh new start to a better and healthier tank. 

Well went out Friday night and bought a 75 gallon tank and stand at petsmart. They were on sale for $324.99 reg price is $499 I believe. I went with a new tank just for piece of mind since it was going upstairs. Caught all the fish all day Saturday. Treated all of them with a quick cure bath for 30 mins before putting them in the tank. Once everyone was in I immediately started treating them with kanaplex. They all seemed to be doing well. Might do a round of furan-2 in the next day or so just to be safe. If not will probably start with the ich shield. Dt is torn to shreds currently but was able to get everyone out without having to remove any rock which was a huge relief. Now to put the dt back together and wait patiently for the next 76 days sigh.....I'm exhausted and all fished out for the moment. Keeping up with a quarantine is a pain in the rear....

• 2 months later...

Update time! This Saturday will finally complete the 76 day fallow period of the 240. Plan to move some of the fish from quarantine back to the dt. Then re-home the ones that eat inverts. Kind of like having a clean up crew again. Other than that not much going on. Tank kind of took a backseat to this baby I just got and fell in love instantly with. He keeps me pretty busy [emoji3]
c4e56f615a709fac578dfadb24872ee6.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got the tank all stocked up again with fish
1. Sailfin
2. Chocolate tang (new)
3. Blue hippo (new)
4. Vlamini tang (new)
5. Niger trigger
6. Tusk
7. Flame hawk
8. Flame angel
9. Bi color angel
10. Juvi emperor angel (new)
11. Potters angel (new)
12. Porcupine puffer x2 (new)
13. Midas blenny (new)
14. Pajama cardinals x3
15. Fox face
16. Maroon clowns x2
17. Coral beauty

Bought all the new fish at once, quarantined them for 30 days, then added them all at once. Been about 2 weeks and everything is good. Only issue is some quarreling between the flame angel and coral beauty. Other than that everyone is happy and healthy! Here's to finally getting back on the right track. Few random no effort pics
4c15e049be8aa6f21ce5fb44935b44a4.jpg765ddf39a127f783f89ebc9d193518f0.jpge9eae3bcee26cf0fcce2bda8a82fbcf6.jpg0711fd3dfe7a3462add26608f26aaae8.jpgbedc0d7c2420cf963506bb68b9b8f4f2.jpg

11 hours ago, BobcatReefer said:

Puppeh!

Are you worried about the puffers and trigger w/ the reef?

Such a good feeling to get swimmers in a new tank!  Congrats!

Not to worried about those guys. I've had the trigger since he was tiny and really no issues. He can be aggressive during breakfast and dinner but other then that he's good. Now I can't really have much of a clean up crew they'll polish them off. I am able to keep urchins, peppermint shrimp and emerald crabs that's about it lol! 

12 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Yay Jen! The tank looks great!

It does if I was going for the fowlr kinda look ? Haha I'm working on stepping my coral game up now that things are finally on track! 

It does if I was going for the fowlr kinda look [emoji12] Haha I'm working on stepping my coral game up now that things are finally on track! 

I saw that rack of coral goodies on the back glass! It'll be there in no time!

3 hours ago, Jen_h said:

It does if I was going for the fowlr kinda look ? Haha I'm working on stepping my coral game up now that things are finally on track! 

With that lighting set up you have, your tank should be growing corals like crazy in no time! The tank looks great so far, looking forward to more progress pics.

3 hours ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

With that lighting set up you have, your tank should be growing corals like crazy in no time! The tank looks great so far, looking forward to more progress pics.

Well you know what they say, you can have all the bells and whistles but if the stabilitys not there that stuff don't mean jack haha 

Literally sick to my stomach right now. Have not seen a trace of Dino's in about 6 months. Look at the tank closely and what do you know it's back. Only thing that has changed is adding the fish back in a couple weeks ago. Just can't win lately. Don't even have a plan of attack in mind. Right now I'm just pretending it's not there. So depressing [emoji17]0fb537b65834060c247e3d7732a35c5d.jpg80b7c0bab334d00d779079c69fd879b2.jpg

Archived