Jens 240

Jen_McG

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about getting a 72' super atinic bml to supplement the t5's....what do you think?

It'll look nice for sure and will probably help with some added pop to corals and give you the ability to run dawn and dusk modes.

BML shut down their Reef lighting though... wasn't sure if you had the ability to get a used one or not. People use the reefbrites as an alternative too.

I was thinking about getting a 72' super atinic bml to supplement the t5's....what do you think?

It'll look nice for sure and will probably help with some added pop to corals and give you the ability to run dawn and dusk modes.

BML shut down their Reef lighting though... wasn't sure if you had the ability to get a used one or not. People use the reefbrites as an alternative too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so my luck has run out. What I thought was a cyano problem turned out to be Dino's. I couldn't figure out why I have them and why the problem continues to get worse. I was at 0.02 for phosphates (Hannah checked) and between 10 to 20 on nitrates (Api) I do 20 percent water changes every weekend. I'm now suspecting it's my rodi system. I have a bio pellet reactor and a reactor with rowaphos to keep the nutrients in check. Had a discussion with farmer ty last night and concluded my only option was to start dosing hydrogen peroxide and stop with the water changes for now. I'm going to start with 1 ml per 10 gallons and see what happens. Here's some pics to show how bad it had gotten and hopefully within the next 2 to 3 weeks it will be gone. Also won't be using water from my rodi now until I fix that issue. I hope I don't end up killing everything in the tank.. 0b55e3232c8650bbbf307330f65794bc.jpgff6785a1bfc73905cab656db6bb0cab1.jpg9174a07dcaef979786b896dd10e43c77.jpg6acaf76727087b2e825428aec5f01629.jpg3e5285eb91803400fe53f6f4ddaf4883.jpg8f44cdcc46bb2aeca6066ed18706f392.jpgd3fd4a4e75ccc0b601d33ffc58a2f90c.jpg9af5fd6b8a54e96d7876742074480626.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol but that's just it I don't have any snails in there because of the two puffer fish I have......so I did what u said and basically took a syringe and squirted spots with the hydrogen peroxide. My question is do I have to squirt each spot everyday until it's all gone or will the hydrogen peroxide spread and start killing other Dino's throughout the tank?

If so this is going to be a grueling long process lol. I have it everywhere. I'm wondering if I made it worse by taking a turkey Baster and blasting it off the rocks, therefore letting it fall and float all over the place before I could syphon it out.

You can really just dose the peroxide in the tank as a whole tank treatment. I just use the daily amount and squirt it right at the stuff to help directly apply it. Just be careful around corals. The method itself doesn't require this direct application though.

It's going to be a tough fight either way. Filters socks run in the 1 micron range are also helpful for physical removal of them as well from the water column.

Sounds crazy but if you can introduce cyano to outcompete them, that is much easier to get rid of down the line.

You can really just dose the peroxide in the tank as a whole tank treatment. I just use the daily amount and squirt it right at the stuff to help directly apply it. Just be careful around corals. The method itself doesn't require this direct application though.

It's going to be a tough fight either way. Filters socks run in the 1 micron range are also helpful for physical removal of them as well from the water column.

Sounds crazy but if you can introduce cyano to outcompete them, that is much easier to get rid of down the line.

Ok one last question and I'll leave you alone for the rest of the week I promise lol, I have this microbacter 7 should I dose this as well to help put back some good bacteria to fight the bad? And also was think about adding some kalk to raise the ph, I read that will help to. I just don't want to be adding all this at the same time if it's not safe. My biggest fear is if something goes wrong I won't be able to pinpoint what caused it.

Ok one last question and I'll leave you alone for the rest of the week I promise lol, I have this microbacter 7 should I dose this as well to help put back some good bacteria to fight the bad? And also was think about adding some kalk to raise the ph, I read that will help to. I just don't want to be adding all this at the same time if it's not safe. My biggest fear is if something goes wrong I won't be able to pinpoint what caused it.

Woohoo! [emoji12]

I wouldn't bother with microbacter as you're fighting dinoflaggelates and I personally think there is no need to add bacteria to outcompete it. Sure, they both may pull nutrients out of the water column but microbacter I would imagine is nitrifying bacteria and is mainly concerned with ammonia/nitrite versus dinos who are after your nitrates/phosphates.

Raising the pH with kalk wouldn't be a terrible idea but you risk an alk overdose to achieve that. Plus, it's difficult to maintain the high pH which is needed.

When I had Dinos..

I ran new Carbon everyday..

Siphoned the Dinos through a Sock (Regular old white Sock)

--Basically start a siphon with a sock tied on the end to put the water back into the sump and suck out as much dinos as you can get to, the sock will catch almost all of it.

And ran the lights for a shorter span for about 2 weeks and they were gone!

good luck!

When I had Dinos..

I ran new Carbon everyday..

Siphoned the Dinos through a Sock (Regular old white Sock)

--Basically start a siphon with a sock tied on the end to put the water back into the sump and suck out as much dinos as you can get to, the sock will catch almost all of it.

And ran the lights for a shorter span for about 2 weeks and they were gone!

good luck!

Well Dino's 1, Jen 0. They won this round this week. I have been dosing 20 ml of hydrogen peroxide for a week and it hasn't even made a dent. Tried symphoning the gunk out only for it to re-appear the next day. Oh and it came back with a vengeance. So on to round 2 of this epic battle. I went to rca and picked up a wooden airstone. Going to give this micro bubble cleaning thing a try. Going to run it for about 10 hours a day. I'm going to continue to dose the peroxide for at least another week or two. Also starting only running my moonlights all day. I know no lights are better but want to try this first and use the 72 hour black out as a last resort. Going to pick up 10 crabs next week to help out as well. Either they'll get the job done or become a expensive snack for my porcupine puffer. As of right now I don't have a plan for round 3 so we'll see what happens....

I'd hold off on the crabs as the toxins might kill them like they often do snails and then you're just adding to the problem at that point.

I remember my conchs love diatoms but I can't remember if they do any damage to dinos or not. The lights out should definitely help and combined with the peroxide, should weaken them and may help you start to win the battle. I've also heard of people dosing bacteria during this time when the dinos are weakened to try to outcompete them. All anecdotal of course but I see it as harmless to try.

I'd hold off on the crabs as the toxins might kill them like they often do snails and then you're just adding to the problem at that point.

I remember my conchs love diatoms but I can't remember if they do any damage to dinos or not. The lights out should definitely help and combined with the peroxide, should weaken them and may help you start to win the battle. I've also heard of people dosing bacteria during this time when the dinos are weakened to try to outcompete them. All anecdotal of course but I see it as harmless to try.

Yes I forgot that important step that I did today, I dosed bacteria as well lol. As far as the crabs, it was jake's suggestion to me. I didn't mention what you had said about the snails so he might have not known that!

He might know something about crabs that I don't know. I don't know everything, that's for sure! [emoji6]

Well you sure had me fooled
Shhh... Don't tell anyone! My reputation will be sullied!

Archived