Bobcat's 75gal First Reef Build

BobcatReefer

I think you should Hard plumb the Return until right before the Pump itself. Rather than how you have it now. Supposed to help with vibration and noise. Also less algae growth since there's less light hitting it.

Not understanding your proposal here. The flexible tubing is what reduces the vibration and noise by keeping the pump from being connected so solidly to the rest of the system. Not worried about algae in the clear tubing, given there's no light source hitting it directly - it's behind a painted wall of the aquarium and there's no ambient sunlight hitting the area. My biggest issue is the lack of space to work with because of the shelf in the stand instead of a floor, which makes the angle more severe. Think adding a 45 on the pipe coming out of the pump will help smooth that out a bit. Doing that tonight, so we'll see.

Also, why didn't you go ahead and drill the tank for overflow since you drilled it for return?

Cost and simplicity are the primary reasons. I already had a HOB, so purchasing one more and plumbing each directly vs 2 drilled overflows plumbed directly, or plumbing a single to two separate tanks below in the space I have to work with, seemed like the way to go.

You add a lot of risk with the hob overflows. That's all.

Also... What I'm saying is to flip your piping for he return. So connect the flex in the sump area and hard plumb to the tank.

You'd be surprised how much crap is going to grow in that pipe I the back even with indirect light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I'd love to have plumbed overflows, I've never understood the "risk" involved w/ HOB. A siphon that works when the water is flowing doesn't break because the water stops flowing. In 15+ years (including multiple power outages) of running a HOB, the only issue I've ever had was the 14.5 yr old U-tube cracking slightly and letting air into the tube, but it would have taken weeks to let enough air in to actually break anything. My biggest concern w/ them is noise, so the plan is to build Stockman fittings after everything is up and running.

Flipping the plumbing doesn't do anything to lessen the vibration or noise, but it's something I'll look at tonight as I try to figure out a more efficient routing for that line. I want to have a union on there so I can remove the pump for cleaning or repair, and it might be a pita if it's all the way at the back. We'll see if I can come up w/ a decent solution.

While I'd love to have plumbed overflows, I've never understood the "risk" involved w/ HOB. A siphon that works when the water is flowing doesn't break because the water stops flowing. In 15+ years (including multiple power outages) of running a HOB, the only issue I've ever had was the 14.5 yr old U-tube cracking slightly and letting air into the tube, but it would have taken weeks to let enough air in to actually break anything. My biggest concern w/ them is noise, so the plan is to build Stockman fittings after everything is up and running.

Flipping the plumbing doesn't do anything to lessen the vibration or noise, but it's something I'll look at tonight as I try to figure out a more efficient routing for that line. I want to have a union on there so I can remove the pump for cleaning or repair, and it might be a pita if it's all the way at the back. We'll see if I can come up w/ a decent solution.

I hear ya... I once had a turbo snail decide to go up my utube on a hob. Luckily I had 2 pipes on the same overflow and I was home when the tank started overflowing....

• Like 1

I hear ya... I once had a turbo snail decide to go up my utube on a hob. Luckily I had 2 pipes on the same overflow and I was home when the tank started overflowing....

That bit about the turbo sounds suspiciously like a movie I saw about a clownfish. [emoji6]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got everything painted/stained/sealed. I'll get the plumbing done tonight, and maybe even get water in to test seals.

The piece I made to go on top of the stand turned out amazing. My uncle was money in the shop helping me build it and spot on w/ his finishing suggestions - prestain, stain (3x), polyurethane(2x), wax(2x). The existing stand I probably should have just gone w/ the white Killz all over. The piece of wood I used to test the stains was Poplar from the top piece, not pine from the stand. Plus, that wood is so dry I think it just drank every bit in. So, much darker than I wanted, and the edges where the white/stain meet aren't as clean as they could be. Meh - that part will rarely be seen, but it annoys my anal/OCD side. Definitely looks much better in the house.

le sigh... Halfway through priming/cementing last night, I discovered that even the small side of a 1" union won't fit through the holes I had so carefully drilled, sanded and painted. So seeing as how I'm home sick today, I stopped off at the hardware store in between the doctor and the pharmacy to pick up a bigger bit, and now I'm waiting for paint to dry to continue on the plumbing. doh.gif

Lookin good. GL. First few days it's always in the back your mind

...am I going to come home to a room full of water today?

Really makes coming home, and seeing a full tank pretty awesome.

• Like 1