Bobcat's 75gal First Reef Build

BobcatReefer

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Haven't seen anything, just observing the pattern.  If it was water quality or something in the water, all of the acans should have gone south at roughly the same time, in a more uniform manner for each colony.  What's happening is that the death starts on one edge spot and works it's way across the colony over a period of time.  Some time later, the same thing starts to happen to another colony.  That tells me it's an organism, and likely a single one or it would be able to attack multiple colonies at the same time.

Very doubtful on the dipping.  They have grown out to 5x the size they were when they went in, so I'm not sure how I'd get them out.  Shoot, maybe 10x...here's about a month after going into the tank:

18b5e870e1df41a479ff8c049e0d1e1b.jpg

• 1 month later...

How about an update...let's start w/ the fishes.  Kole Tang is out for being a bully.  Lost the Rainsford Goby to starvation, and the newest Orange Diamond (I've lost count now, but this one also looks like he's not much of a sand sifter) is thin as a rail, but I think he'll pull through.  He's still a scardeycat who hides under the grandis palys 23hours a day.  

Midas in his hiding spot

vmWZDD4.jpg

Out and about

UsWkH8c.jpg

Newest addition, and a fish I've always wanted:  Black Cap Basslet

GRlhuJr.jpg

Solar Wrasse

laEXf0x.jpg

Filefish, of the non-Aiptasia easting variety 😡

n4Y4QLG.jpg

Big Fatty Starry Blenny is shy

vY12wqt.jpg

Pinkbar Goby and Tiger Shrimp still going strong

wlzIA2u.jpg

Emaciated, non-sand-sifting, scardeycat Orange Diamond Goby

oqntpsG.jpg

SsKSgnS.jpg

• Like 1

Going forward, I'm going to focus more on softies and LPS.  Other than the long gone Birdsnest and the current Purple Stylo, nothing hard is surviving and certainly not thriving in the tank these days. 

Even the formerly raging Palmer's Blue Mille has minimal extension and zero growth - been like this for 6+ months. 

dVQiWG3.jpg

Picked up probably 12 frags from folks about 6 months back, only 3 still live, and they aren't exactly thriving. 

The bleached one top left held on until like last week, I think the Hawkins is alive but barely - it hasn't had growth signs in months.  The red one lower right seems to have good polyp extension, but no base growth/encrusting at all.

mIEAUH5.jpg

The digi seems healthy and happy, but no growth at all lately.  The green one is dead, it just doesn't know it yet.  Mystic Sunset Monti was doing awesome until a couple of weeks ago when it got white blotches, then the rest of it seemed like it was going to fight back, it colored up, and then has looked worse this week.

jGKtLOD.jpg

My acans haven't been eaten any more, but something in the water is pissing them off - they've been like this for weeks now.  And the turf algae around them is out of control.  Not real sure how to deal w/ that.

PqRa4ST.jpg

NaCshiv.jpg

Whatever is bugging the acans seems to be bugging the blasto as well

uIU8hLT.jpg

Ricordias look good - split and up to 4 now

p2ICkvz.jpg

Duncan that I was so worried about before is thriving now - this is still early waking, but it will be 1/4 bigger later today

KlkzcbI.jpg

Fuzzy blue shrooms are loving that the Peach Toadstool got cutback.

ySdmNFA.jpg

Hammer and Cinnamon Grandis are doing great, Cyphastrea is struggling.

S5EZTFV.jpg

Purple Stylo

LU9Eddv.jpg

My water/chem issues...

Had some TDS creep in (<5ppm), but did a full RODI swap, including membrane and I'm 0.0 now.

Finally figured out why my parameters were swinging so wildly - long story short I am an idiot and getting 9/10 things correct when setting up auto-dosing doesn't cut it.  Think I'm good now, and both Alk/Ca are fairly stable, dosing at between 1-2min/day.  Just did a water change so Alk dropped today, but should be good w/i the next day or so. For reference, 135ppm=7.55dKH, 155ppm=8.66dKH....pH is typically 7.7-7.9.

qOml471.jpg?1

• 5 months later...

Time for an update!  Not the most uplifting, but here we are...  I think my tank had some variation of OTS.  The algae was out of control, and many of my frags/colonies had died.  Completely cleaned out the fuge, and have been treating w/ Fluconazole (3 cycles).  My refugium never worked the way I wanted it to.  The DSB in there had next to no flow, and I think got a bit toxic. Removed a fair amount of sand from the display tank as well - probably more to come.  

Think this tank is going to be more softies and fish going forward.  Just haven't been successful w/ sps, and this tank is what it is now.  How do we get there, functionally?  That is where I welcome your input, ARC!  Chime in!  Lots will be for sale eventually, so feel free to PM me w/ anything you might want down the road. 

I think my plan is to re-landscape, frag up some of the colonies to make room, get rid of some more sand, and add some fish.  Euphyllias, mushrooms, leathers, maybe an anemone again... 

Stream of consciousness re: video  below:

Frogspawn has been happy and healthy until those 2 heads died a couple of weeks back.  No other heads seem to be even sad or affected.  Thinking of fragging this guy up into 5+ pieces.

Will find a way to keep GSP, likely on it's own island/tower.  

Mushrooms have never been happier - this vid is them at 80%.  Definitely going to frag and sell - I have rouge shrooms all over the tank.  Metallic Blue Mushrooms 

Hammer is going to get fragged up.  It's happy, w/ baby heads popping up on all trunks.

Lone Star Leather - hit me up!  $40 for 2x2" chunk.

Peach Leather - will sell the whole thing for $30.  There are some blue fuzzy shrooms under there that can't thrive in the shadow, and I want to see them go/grow.

Cinnamon Grandis Palys - going to frag this up too

• Like 2