Bobcat's 75gal First Reef Build

BobcatReefer

DI resin is actually a mixture of two DI resins.  One is a cation, one is an anion.  Only one of these normally carries the dye.  When the dye runs out, its not 100% exhausted, use your TDS meter for verification.  This "how to recharge" link has a ton more details...  http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-09/nftt/index.php 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BobcatReefer said:

Just paste the link and it embeds on it's own - pics too.  Easily my favorite parts of the upgrade!

Where do you paste the link from.  I have added video and then clicked the plus icon to add them to the post and it just put the label for it.  Do I need to have a certain format or link form a site of some type, I'm confused :wacko:lol and that doesn't happen often

52 minutes ago, madsalt said:

Where do you paste the link from.  I have added video and then clicked the plus icon to add them to the post and it just put the label for it.  Do I need to have a certain format or link form a site of some type, I'm confused :wacko:lol and that doesn't happen often

same spot you typed your reply in.

58 minutes ago, madsalt said:

You have to upload it to youtube or vimeo first, then c/p that link here.  It's not going to embed from your phone/computer.

Vid thoughts/questions for y'all:

:09 Cyphastrea - should be aqua blue w/ pink mouths, but is more inform light red.  

:16 Monti?  Seems dead.  Was on the backside in a slightly shaded area and never grew.  Put it out front a while back and haven't seen any signs of life.

:25 Digitata...Started out as a cool 3 branch piece from Reburn, but I've managed to break 2 pieces off.  1st attempt to superglue a broken arm to the rock didn't go well, so I'm going to try again next week when I do a water change and can drop the water level below where I want to glue.

:53 hair algae I'm currently fighting.  Can't keep a sea hare alive long enough to finish that off, and my export/phosphate issues aren't cleared up (obviously).  Currently fighting w/ physical removal by way of forceps.

:58 happy fluffy fuzzy mushroom

:60 not at all happy fluffy fuzzy mushroom, surrounded by Superman mushrooms.  All the fuzzy's used to back in that little corner in between where they are now, but a couple walked up, and a couple walked out.  The ones that walked out got surrounded by Supermans and are obviously hating life.  I've tried a little bit to get them to let go and relocate, but no luck so far.  Suggestions on encouraging them to move?

1:05 Garf Bonsai - thoughts on placement?

1:10 Sunset Monti - this was going gangbusters for quite a while (got it in Aug?) but the last 6 weeks or so it lost it's color, the dots dimmed and now there's 2 "lesions" of some kind on it.  Thoughts?

1:17 DAM Swamp Thing is doing very well

1:19 those shrooms loved it up there for a while, then nuked out.  Bleached out and trying to move.  Too many crevices for me to help relocate.

1:24 sad candy cane.  I've put this high and low and left and right and can't see any positive changes.  Think it's going to go in the sand next week when I change the water.  Thoughts?

1:33 Tyree Undata (pretty sure?)  Growth seems to have slowed, but the idea is that it encrusts that whole side of the cave.

1:45 Brain coral from ARC fragging meeting.  Not sure what's going on here, but doesn't look happy and haven't seen sweeper tentacles in a while.  Had a bit of healing growth over the bony structure, but seems to have gone downhill the last couple of months?

1:48 Duncans are closed here, but usually out and happy.

1:50 Blue Mille has been happy and growing like a champ since I got it.

Your tank looks awesome! I have one of those lawnmower blennies, they are awesome! He is one of my favorites.

I'm working to get my 36g back to the way it was before my accident... I decided to add a GFO reactor to help with the hair algae issues. Wish me luck. ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Something I've had to come to grips w/ lately is that this tank is pretty much done on the coral front.  I'm at 40+ placements and I need to let some stuff grow out before adding anything else.  I want to add some sun coral, so I'm saving space for that, and seems like there's 1 more prime location, maybe 2.  The rest will be small zoa/monti/shroom stuff, much later.

2mz2o8.png

1    GSP - Almost completely retracted in this shot, the placement on this type of branching rock was perfect (a).   

2    Alien Eye Chalice - Growing beautifuly, but is going to be a PITA soon, just because of location.  Tough to work around it.

3    Random Acro (pink one from ARC frag meeting at Just Reef - the rest of it got nuked from ***)

4    Green Pocillopora - both sides seem healthy and happy, but not fast growth

5    Blue Digitata - all (surviving) branches have doubled in thickness and are growing strong

6    Red Montipora - easily the biggst grower since addition

7    Green Birdsnest - recent haircut from ***

8    Purple Mushroom Leather - happy everysingle day

9    Toxic Green Paly - looks good but hasn't grown yet

10    Red Setosa - took a snip from ***, but seems happy enough

11    Green Mushrooms - totally nuked, but still there

12    Rainbow Stylo - happy and growing

13    Tyree Undata (I think?)

14    Random odd Monti?  gray w/ green polyps

15    Blue Mille - doing great and branching all over

16    Cyphastrea - on the backside, not growing as fast as I'd like

17    Hammer - big, fluffy and happy since Day 1

18    Rock Flower Anenome - on backside, would like to add a couple more nearby

19    Acan - no reason to not be growing, stuck on 3 heads

20    Acan - added heads

21    Acan - doubled in size

22    Acan - doubled in size

23    Acan - doubled in size

24    Random monti I think might be coming around?

25    Some kind of rainbow mushroom

26    ?? Palys - spreading fastest of all my Z/P, but not very dense.

27    Candy Apple Palys - Happy, but don't seem to want to grow and expand

28    Zoas - 30+ heads, ggrowing off plug, doing great

29    Purple Palys?  Seem to be happy, nott sure if growing

30    Frogspawn - super happy

31    Neon Green Leather - not sure why it won't grow full cirlce. 

32    Grandis Paly - seems happy, little worried about the NGL shadowing it out

33    Superman Mushroom - happpy ad about to spawn/split again

34    Fuzzy Blue Mushrooms - b location is 2 heads surrounded by Superman Shrooms that look to be splitting again.  Should I just do my best to pull these off the rock?  Hard to get hold of them.

35    Garf Bonsai - hasn't grown much yet, but doesn't seem sad

36    Brain Coral - not sure it's doing great, but still seems alive and responsive

37    Acan - 3 heads, not much growth

38    Zoas - 40 heads, tight green center/yellow rim, growing off plug

39    Duncans - doing OK, splitting heads now, not always open and happy

40    Blue Mettalic Mushrooms - seem to be less than happy

41    DAM Swamp Thing - seems happy and branching off growths

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Tank update: 

Overall, it's going really well. Currently dealing w/ some minor chem level issues - can't seem to get my Alk stabilized the last 2 or 3 weeks after months of keeping it w/i limits. Other than that, rockin' and rollin'.

Current fishes:
Ruby Head Wrasse - Great addition and doing exactly what I wanted: bring everyone out to be seen.
Potters Angel - same as above. Everyone is out and active now.
Clown
Ruby Red Scooter Blenny (getting fat!)
Purple Firefish (the Helfrichi died out of nowhere a couple months back)
Goldenhead Sleeper Goby
Rainsford Goby - grew really fast and is now a solid 2" and thick. Was worried he'd be the tiny guy in the tank
Pink Stripe Goby w/ Tiger Shrimp - still going strong!

Unfortunately the Fathead Sunburst Anthia disappeared shortly after the angel went in. Not sure if one had to do anything w/ the other, but it's a bummer to lose a really pretty (and fairly expensive) fish after it's been healthy in your tank for a while. Also makes me curious if I'm at my limit for fish, or can I still add 1 or 2 more? 

Dosed some chemiclean about 2 or 3 weeks back and it knocked the cyano and algae issues out like a champ.

4pRgA8w.jpg

e4E0R1s.jpg

wDjXW7P.jpg

x7gqp0C.jpg

sJ0yvAw.jpg

4DQrioH.jpg

eL4BAhm.jpg

Garf Bonsai looking awesome - deep purple base, green polyps, and that smaller cluster of growth is new.  This guy did nothing for the first 6+ months in the tank. Pale and no growth whatsoever.

pYDnrlP.jpg

Fluffy Acans and the I've figured out the Duncans want to be way low light and flow, so now have to find a place for them.

CHAsK5a.jpg

• Like 1

Necrosis/Alk burn issues?  Had a spike a couple of weeks ago and these are the only two corals that had any reaction.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Cyphastrea - pic was taken a week or 10 days ago, but this one looks like it's recovering now.  You can see where it had started encrusting out on the bottom.  There's more on the top side as well, just not visible in thispic.

RslO86d.jpg

Pocillapora - 2 separate pieces on opposite sides of the tank

dQYbTPD.jpg

bpcXQw3.jpg

gZdvQKR.jpg

Alk levels:

Went away for the last weekend of April and you can see the dive.  Not sure how I screwed up the rise so badly, but I did.  Now I can't get it back up to where I want it.  Currently dosing 10ml Seachem Reef Fusion2, twice a day (didn't want to put 20ml in @ a time).  Took multiple readings yesterday/today, which is why the end looks janky - typically test every 3 or 4 days.

Suggestions on how to even this out more effectively?  

2im0pvt.jpg