150gal Tall Built in Build

ShawnM

Awesome! I remember seeing that when I got that light from u. It’s grown a lot!! What is the purple coral dead center?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reverse superman monti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am also am I about to start dosing kalk through my ato, also I am wanting to add some kind of supplemental lighting to help the corals colors pop they are seeming a little washed out for my liking

1 hour ago, ShawnM said:

I am also am I about to start dosing kalk through my ato, also I am wanting to add some kind of supplemental lighting to help the corals colors pop they are seeming a little washed out for my liking

My controller went out and I started dosing kalk through my ATO about three weeks ago. The acropora and mushrooms are super unhappy, but everything else is doing great. It may be a good idea to see if you can find if other people have had any problems switching from your current method to kalk. 

Everything looks pretty good in your last picture. I like the aquascape! My corals normally look washed out when the nutrients are too low. What have your NO3 and PO4 readings been lately? Stunner strips used to be pretty popular for supplement lighting, but they don't provide any real PAR and it's mostly for looks. I've also heard good things about the True Lumen strips. They are powerful lights, but you'll need a splitter, power source, and dimmer to run them. The cheapest place that I've seen them is on Amazon. 

Well my method right now is 10% water change once a month it has been enough to keep up with coral growth so far but now not so much anymore. I have no idea what my readings are I don't test my water. Plan is to slowly add the kalk over several weeks. Reservoir is 3gal so plan to add 1 tsp to it for several weeks and adjust from the corals reaction

Look into Reefbrite and SBReef bars for actinic supplementation. If you want to see the SBREEF bar in action, swing by my house one day and I'll show you.

Ok cool I will text you so I can come check it out

• 2 months later...

FTS
9c91a3145abf087dc04c6d99c7de86f1.jpg

A couple others I don’t know how y’all take such good pics with your phones
f3faac20cf4842193381f0a5dd4b3be8.jpg
f64a42116b65b639910bdfb914a4f2d6.jpgb5835c951cc0b6f2b893b19ed7bf860f.jpgbeen trying to Id the last one dark purple with greenish white polyps. Not a garfs bonsai very similar but not it

• Like 4

FTS
9c91a3145abf087dc04c6d99c7de86f1.jpg

A couple others I don’t know how y’all take such good pics with your phones
f3faac20cf4842193381f0a5dd4b3be8.jpg
f64a42116b65b639910bdfb914a4f2d6.jpgb5835c951cc0b6f2b893b19ed7bf860f.jpgbeen trying to Id the last one dark purple with greenish white polyps. Not a garfs bonsai very similar but not it

Shawn,

Good meeting you last week. I also don't know how ppl take such good pics with their cell haha. Tank looks good though!

Shawn,

Good meeting you last week. I also don't know how ppl take such good pics with their cell haha. Tank looks good though!
First question, does your phone flip? [emoji12]

Mine has "pro" controls that lets me dial in light soectrym as well as ISO etc.

b89055a44ead132d7ab9449bfd6fa320.jpg
  • Like 1

First question, does your phone flip? [emoji12]

Mine has "pro" controls that lets me dial in light soectrym as well as ISO etc.

b89055a44ead132d7ab9449bfd6fa320.jpg
Haha. Yep. Got the Motorolla Razr...

I have an S7 and do have that "pro" mode. Why dont you give me a cliff notes version.

I.e. adjust iso to 0. Move white balance to "x."
  • Like 1

Haha. Yep. Got the Motorolla Razr...

I have an S7 and do have that "pro" mode. Why dont you give me a cliff notes version.

I.e. adjust iso to 0. Move white balance to "x."
Before u bust my balls, I did just tweak and see what looks best. But still depends on where my LEDs are in the light cycle, how close and taking a picture Etc. So any tips would be great
  • Like 1

Hey Marc,

I loved my S7. Took some great pictures.

1) If LEDs, change your lighting if possible to a slightly more white spectrum before pictures. For my Ocean Revive fixtures, turned up the white maybe 20%. Keeps the blue from washing out stuff too much.

2) Lowest ISO possible and then open up shutter speed to compensate for picture being too dark.

3) White level around 6,800k is where I set my OR fixtures, but will depend on your lighting. I just adjust it until what's on the screen matches what's in real life in front of me.

4) If needed, use a photo processing app to reduce blue. Some don't have the option but will give you the option to increase warmth and hue. If so, increase those until it matches what you see in real life.

That's it.

• Like 2

Well on my end might be operator error I have the iPhone X so figure it’s a decent camera but they have built in color spectrum and none look that good. The best pictures I take are regular setting through my polarized sunglasses

• 2 weeks later...

Well was trying to take a vid of the tank but can’t figure out how to upload it now it only give me options to post pictures. It’s no ty master piece with music but videos seemed to come out better then pictures

• Like 1

Well was trying to take a vid of the tank but can’t figure out how to upload it now it only give me options to post pictures. It’s no ty master piece with music but videos seemed to come out better then pictures

Just upload to YouTube and post the link Shawn. I can sing as your background music if you want?

No music did it vertical all kinds of messed up I will learn your way of video posting ty

Tank looks great Shawn! Everything looks grown out and mature.

I'm officially putting you on the vertical video watch list. Three strikes and you're out! [emoji23]

Wow!!! That tanks grown ALOT since I’ve been there. That must’ve been 2 years when I got that small MH from you. Man, I was such a newbie! [emoji64]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lol oh yeah I remember that it has been a while

• 3 weeks later...

A little up date decided to get a leopard wrasse the wife has been wanting one for a while. I introduced it to the tank on Friday night and haven’t seen it since, starting to wonder if he is alive or not.

When I introduced him he didn’t seem to swim away he was just kind of floating with the current I turned the pumps off for 10 minute to allow him to get settled and haven’t seen him since

I didn’t notice any rapid breathing and his pectoral fins were moving but that was it as he disappeared into the rock work