The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

1 hour ago, Dogfish said:

I would put down some of that kitchen mat that you find in restaurants That way the floor will dry and mold will not grow under the sump

That's a great idea.  Plus it is non-slip.  May want to add it to the entire floor of the fish room.

I would think that something along these lines, just to keep the sump off the floor itself may be helpful.  You could use a piece of plexi w/ a foam mat on top for pressure leveling/sound.

Admittedly, I can't think of a definite reason to keep it off the floor itself, but for some reason I feel like it should have some separation.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-3187bl/Wire-Shelving-Accessories/Additional-Black-Wire-Shelves-48-x-24

I would think that something along these lines, just to keep the sump off the floor itself may be helpful.  You could use a piece of plexi w/ a foam mat on top for pressure leveling/sound.
Admittedly, I can't think of a definite reason to keep it off the floor itself, but for some reason I feel like it should have some separation.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-3187bl/Wire-Shelving-Accessories/Additional-Black-Wire-Shelves-48-x-24

Haha yes, I have that feeling too that it needs to be up off the floor, but again I just can’t think of why when it’s concrete with nowhere for water to go but out the garage door. The one benefit I can think of for building a floor for the sump is it will be level while the garage floor is slightly sloped. It’s funny that there’s a pre conceived notion that a sump HAS to be elevated, but there isn’t a clear reason why. [emoji2369]
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Haha yes, I have that feeling too that it needs to be up off the floor, but again I just can’t think of why when it’s concrete with nowhere for water to go but out the garage door. The one benefit I can think of for building a floor for the sump is it will be level while the garage floor is slightly sloped. It’s funny that there’s a pre conceived notion that a sump HAS to be elevated, but there isn’t a clear reason why. emoji2369.png

Moisture and temp transfer are my th9ughts

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dogfish said:

The temp transfer is a good thought, i wouldn't have thought about that. during the summer my master bath shares a wall with the back of the garage and the floor gets heated from the slab. same with the colder temps the tile gets cold. you could use celotex or some kind of thicker sheet insulation to kill both the leveling and the temp transfers, they make it up to 200mm thick and its moisture resistant. 

• 1 month later...

Today is the day the Maroon Lagoon V2.0 gets shut down. It’s been a nice run, that past year has more or less been a disappointment with the mysterious slow slow coral STN, but I’ll be dipping all the corals throughly before transferring them to the new tank. Thank you maroon lagoon V2.0, and God’s speed!

9da3352cc89f68d452ea223539b4eef0.jpg
efb80e30eb9ce3d08c6a55b9917f5198.gif

• Like 2

I remember this tank at its peak! It was truly impressive! Insane colors and crazy growth! The new start in your giant tank is probably just what the doctor ordered.

Can’t wait to see the masterpiece you make out of that one bud. Cheers to new beginnings!