The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

Looks good! Just got nearly the same tank from river city a few weeks ago (6'w x 30"d x 25"t) tank from river city a few weeks ago. Did you get a chance to mess with the overflow box? Jake from RC came by to look at it yesterday due to the issue with the bulkheads hitting the plumbing inside the external box. Jake is supposed to get back to me soon but wondering what your impressions were. 

Looks good! Just got nearly the same tank from river city a few weeks ago (6'w x 30"d x 25"t) tank from river city a few weeks ago. Did you get a chance to mess with the overflow box? Jake from RC came by to look at it yesterday due to the issue with the bulkheads hitting the plumbing inside the external box. Jake is supposed to get back to me soon but wondering what your impressions were. 

Jake was telling me about some issues with the overflow boxes, I suppose from what you discovered. I’m waiting to hear what he learns from the manufacturer before I do anything.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, eddius-maximus said:

I think I got the same tank! 96 x 30 x 24 Planet from RCA. I ended up scrapping the Tideline overflow and replacing with an Exotic Marine.

Just sucks that I paid extra money for something that doesn't work...hoping Jake talks some sense into them. 

I had issues with my Tideline overflow for quite a while. Jake even got me a 2nd pair of gaskets which I finally was able to get the leaking to stop. I had to get everything lined up perfectly centered. Right at about a year ago I bought the Exotic Marine overflow. Couldn't be happier. They're very well built. Not at all flimsy like others and they have a better design that prevents waterfall noise. On the Tideline the external box is lower than the internal so to get the water level up high enough on the internal side you have to set your emergency overflow pipes as high as possible. Water level in my external box was about 1/4" from the top. Also, the Exotic doesn't have weirs so the water isn't broken up which contributes to the waterfall noise. You're more than welcome to come by and check it out.

• Like 1

Well, I’m not sure how much livestock I’ll have to start the new tank with. I think I’ve lost at least 60% of my acros now. Probably 80% of what I had 2 years ago. I’m accumulating a lot of good CaRX media though.
1e2fe4d5da21e1c3018e2194e48613b0.jpg

On a brighter note, the stand is finally done for the new tank
2e4bc38ade702eee47d248fcf1af5cee.jpg

• Like 2

Oh that is too painful John

Yeah it’s been a rough stretch over the last year and a half. I’ve been in this hobby for a while now and I’ve never ran into so much unexplainable deaths and roller coaster of health with acros when nothing is being changed. Hopefully the new tank will act as an opportunity to begin anew.

You’ll have to start cutting me some frags Jim, I’m going to have a whollllleeeee lot of real estate to fill.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Yeah it’s been a rough stretch over the last year and a half. I’ve been in this hobby for a while now and I’ve never ran into so much unexplainable deaths and roller coaster of health with acros when nothing is being changed. Hopefully the new tank will act as an opportunity to begin anew. . . .

Something I've learned is things are always changing even if we can't necessarily quantify them easily.    I would point out coral growth and fish growth are a pretty significant changes to how nitrogen and phosphorus is being cycled in a reef system.   We know fish poop is pretty critical for corals.  Increasing fish biomass or increasing amount being feed to the fish or limiting the amount of coral being kept in a system is likely critical for long term survival.  Not increasing the amount of fish poop or using alternate methods may create chronic conditions that can go undetected for long periods of time but sooner or later will cause problems.  Here's a figure from a paper looking at nutrient loading on corals

Effects of Nitrate.jpg

OMG!!! I was just at RCA and saw your tank. That thing is amazing!!!  The pics of the stand don't convey the size of it very well.

Haha yeah I had to re-measure the stand to make sure it was right because I thought the same thing. So happy Jake has been willing to hold it this long. It’s real difficult to get a tank built when you’re constantly out of town [emoji58]

Im so jealous of those wide support bars on the stand for sump work. 

Yeah it’s going to be pretty nice having all that room for a sump and equipment. Originally I was going to put plywood down for a sump floor, but now I’m wondering why I should even do that. A concrete floor is just as good, and there’s really no reason to elevate the equipment up off the ground other than maybe keeping it off the cold cement. Am I not taking something into account here?

1 minute ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Yeah it’s going to be pretty nice having all that room for a sump and equipment. Originally I was going to put plywood down for a sump floor, but now I’m wondering why I should even do that. A concrete floor is just as good, and there’s really no reason to elevate the equipment up off the ground other than maybe keeping it off the cold cement. Am I not taking something into account here?

Other than managing spills, I'd say no other reason.  May get a little bit of heat transfer to the concrete floors as well?

Can't wait to see this come together.  Glad you got it in the house.

48 minutes ago, olaggie01 said:

Looks awesome.  What's the plan for the garage door?

I'll be building a false ceiling in the fishroom so the garage door can still open completely. Part of the spousal negotiations was the wife could park here car in the garage if I could convert part of it into a fishroom. It's a 1 door 2-car garage and I'm too lazy to build the garage into a 2 door garage, so I'm just going to make half the fish room a little shorter than the rest. And the tank won't be under the low ceiling, otherwise I would have no room to get into the tank.