The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

My tank continues to not make up its mind wether it’s happy or struggling. I had some RTN this past week losing 90% of my SSC and nearly a whole large branch of my red dragon.
5d8e7bd4a05155acbf0fb6984510d833.jpg
d23a8ee47cbb1edad5dffc2ee48b2e18.jpg
I can’t really explain the SSC, but the red dragon RTN coincided with my CaRX flow stopping while I was out of state and my alk dropped below 6. The RTN has slowed and maybe stopped now that the CaRX flow has restarted.

On the other hand, coral colors continue to slowly improve. They haven’t returned to optimal coloration, but a slow and steady improvement is better than none or reversal.
41d6922e7c99aadf6a71b3713879c38f.jpg
3d6e1076109eea19c5b8caad343ac755.jpg
8e9a5bf509398424475ce28365746943.jpg
6894732af5b74483339a5c8ae1a91109.jpg
93b6be7dafd28d5bd14b449fb7840d46.jpg

• Like 1

We're leaving back to South Florida for two weeks for Christmas and I'm dreading the potential issues. 

The corals other than the Red Dragon and SSC look really good.  You've had a lot of issues thrown at that tank in the last six months: power outage, alk problems, lighting changes, algae outbreak and treatment. . .seems like it could use a couple months of stability and a chance for everything to just catch a breather.  All things considered, probably could have been much worse.  I bet a lot of tanks would not have made it through all that without a complete crash.

• Like 1

We're leaving back to South Florida for two weeks for Christmas and I'm dreading the potential issues. 
The corals other than the Red Dragon and SSC look really good.  You've had a lot of issues thrown at that tank in the last six months: power outage, alk problems, lighting changes, algae outbreak and treatment. . .seems like it could use a couple months of stability and a chance for everything to just catch a breather.  All things considered, probably could have been much worse.  I bet a lot of tanks would not have made it through all that without a complete crash.

Leaving town is always a nail biter. Hopefully you have a friend in town that can periodically check in on things who knows what to look for.

I appreciate the words of encouragement! I hope if I don’t change anything for a while everything will recover and get back to full health. Please God, no more issues🤞
  • Like 2

So I dosed Fluconazole back in May, around 7 months ago. It 100% annihilated my annoying Bryopsis problem. I woke up this morning to big tufts of Bryopsis in 4 different sections of my tank. I'd say 7 months of not having to worry about this terrible crap is pretty good.

Now the debate is whether or not I should re-dose. The last time I did it, it also killed my hair algae. Now that I'm using an algae scrubber as a source of nutrient export, it's not so clear what the appropriate course of action is.

• Like 1

So I dosed Fluconazole back in May, around 7 months ago. It 100% annihilated my annoying Bryopsis problem. I woke up this morning to big tufts of Bryopsis in 4 different sections of my tank. I'd say 7 months of not having to worry about this terrible crap is pretty good.
Now the debate is whether or not I should re-dose. The last time I did it, it also killed my hair algae. Now that I'm using an algae scrubber as a source of nutrient export, it's not so clear what the appropriate course of action is.

My GHA has started to come back already. I left carbon offline for just shy of a month, but I guess that wasn’t long enough. I’ll likely be dosing again soon and starting the process over again. I have ulva in my tank and it’s not affected by Fluco at all, you could always use that as a form of nutrient export! [emoji23]

11 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

My GHA has started to come back already. I left carbon offline for just shy of a month, but I guess that wasn’t long enough. I’ll likely be dosing again soon and starting the process over again. I have ulva in my tank and it’s not affected by Fluco at all, you could always use that as a form of nutrient export! emoji23.png

That is very surprising! Was your original dose 20mg per gallon? 

Too funny. I am going to South Florida too for family over the holidays. My parents live in Boca Raton (I grew up down there). Where are you visiting?

Gigem, I agree with Sierra. A lot of things have happened and you have thrown a lot at it to fight it. I am thinking a few months of solid stability will be golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Well it seemed like my red dragon was on the mend, and as soon as I got back from Chicago it started RTNing. Did a water change, but that hasn’t changed anything apparently. Very random pattern of RTN too. 2018 has hibernation a frustrating year for my tank and acros [emoji58]
03ba046df51fe624514e49d5b70b487d.jpg

9 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Well it seemed like my red dragon was on the mend, and as soon as I got back from Chicago it started RTNing. Did a water change, but that hasn’t changed anything apparently. Very random pattern of RTN too. 2018 has hibernation a frustrating year for my tank and acros emoji58.png
03ba046df51fe624514e49d5b70b487d.jpg

Quick - frag and sell it as a unique white/red hybrid of some sort before it gets worse.  Oh, and stop leaving town.  Anecdotal evidence clearly indicates your lack of presence having a negative effect on the tank.  Your corals are literally dying to be with you.  🙄  Can't you sell Amway or something else home-based?  😀

Seriously, though - hope it gets better soon.

5 hours ago, diesel3443 said:

Too funny. I am going to South Florida too for family over the holidays. My parents live in Boca Raton (I grew up down there). Where are you visiting?

Gigem, I agree with Sierra. A lot of things have happened and you have thrown a lot at it to fight it. I am thinking a few months of solid stability will be golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Native Floridian here.  Grew up in Ocala; spent a large portion of my adult life in South Florida.  We're headed to Pembroke Pines.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Haha yeah, there hasn't been much to share since my tank has been slowly recovering from the mystery issues that started when I was on vacation last June. Things are still recovering, but randomly see SPS issues from time to time. I'm running Fluco again since GHA popped back up. I'm currently at one month of treatment with no protein skimmer and no carbon, which could be the cause of any current struggles. I'm trying to soldier on as long as I can to avoid the GHA from springing back as quickly as it did last time.

-edit just realized i was replying to a very old portion of this therad-

Have you found an air pimp that has an inlet that you could connect to an outside airline?

I was going to experiment with micro bubbles, but wanted to run outside air as my house always has high CO2. I already did the hard part and ran 1/2 pex tubing though a few walls to get an outside line into my stand for my skimmer. Seems like I could hack something together with a USB charger and this pump: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-DC-3V-6V-5V-370-Motor-Mini-Micro-Air-Pump-Vacuum-For-Aquarium-Tank-Oxygen/113589840598?hash=item1a727b6ad6:g:vJgAAOSwolpcSAVb&frcectupt=true

-edit just realized i was replying to a very old portion of this therad-
Have you found an air pimp that has an inlet that you could connect to an outside airline?
I was going to experiment with micro bubbles, but wanted to run outside air as my house always has high CO2. I already did the hard part and ran 1/2 pex tubing though a few walls to get an outside line into my stand for my skimmer. Seems like I could hack something together with a USB charger and this pump: 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-DC-3V-6V-5V-370-Motor-Mini-Micro-Air-Pump-Vacuum-For-Aquarium-Tank-Oxygen/113589840598?hash=item1a727b6ad6:g:vJgAAOSwolpcSAVb&frcectupt=true

I stopped pumping outside air into my tank a while ago. I would smell weird chemical smells from time to time and it didn’t seem to help the pH drop that much. I decided it wasn’t worth the risk in case someone was spraying pesticides around my neighborhood and it getting sucked into the tank. I might install a CO2 scrubber on my protein skimmer down the road.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I haven’t posted in a while, it’s hard to get excited about the hobby when you’ve been struggling with mysterious coral deaths for nearly a year with no major culprit or solution. Yesterday though I may have *possibly* found a smoking fun. I was performing a water change and noticed the magnet holding my PH was slipping a bit. Pulled it off and noticed my hand was covered in black and there were some bumps on the magnet b0d95e0414f7125bb5260526ff24d095.jpg
a2ed47573a629219c389bbf506c02c5d.jpg

Needless to say I tossed the magnet immediately, changed 20 gallons, and put new carbon in the reactor. Really really hoping this has been the cause of my most recent coral struggles.