The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

On 7/8/2018 at 10:02 PM, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Luckily I bought the house before I got married, so the wife married into the fish room. I guess I'm blessed that this is now her norm and always will be 😂

Gosh I wish I read this before I got married, such a good idea 🤣

Unfortunately I have been dealing with one of those phantom coral death issues that just can't seem to be solved. I've checked my water parameters, everything is normal and all other corals look fine. I've changed out over 50% of my water over the past week and it hasn't slowed the death of this table. I've been running UV for weeks and I ran ozone on the tank yesterday and didn't seem to help. I'm going to do one final water change today and if it dies, it dies. Sometimes the complexity of these animals can't be explained at the hobbyist level. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear it!
f3b382d96a54ddb74004dfb9f9b0b0f7.jpg

John, what’s the status this morning? Added any carbon lately? Maybe it was the decrease in PO4?

What new lights did you add? Maybe a new addition of UV or spectrum change?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John, what’s the status this morning? Added any carbon lately? Maybe it was the decrease in PO4?

What new lights did you add? Maybe a new addition of UV or spectrum change?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's still on its way out. I did another water change, ran ozone again, and hanged carbon. Nothing is stopping it. The issue started before I changed my lights, it all started going downhill when I was vacation. Only now is it picking up speed and RTNing. Both of my large tables declined when I was out of town and now this one has just given up on trying. I cut a frag of it just in case part of it can survive and I can restart.

In better news, I finally got my new frag tank/anemone tank up to running conditions
356ef6320c2e866b620d0232ad611bee.jpg

Oh no not you too. Ty’s anemone virus has infected you too. The city needs to quarantine y’alls whole street. This could spread city wide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bpb said:

Oh no not you too. Ty’s anemone virus has infected you too. The city needs to quarantine y’alls whole street. This could spread city wide!

Woah woah woah woah. WOAH. WOAH. No no, I've had the anemone bug for a long long time. 😎 And it's most definitely not a dedicated tank for colorful aiptasia!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couple shots for a short update. Tables have randomly stopped receding. Can't really explain it, just one of those acro pots things where you just shrug and admit not everything can be explained at a hobbyist level. I'm just happy they're done self destructing for now.

Reefwise Lemon drops have been looking good, more yellow everyday
376229f3624c287b3d41d1ff9a0cde54.jpg

Got a new H. magnifica from River City Aquatics. I couldn't be happier with it! What a gorgeous tricolor specimen. Can't wait to see it in the DT [emoji7]
d7ba59b88c89f4af49530d66513c18a8.jpg

Tank during the actinic hour
abd2c92ef08eded7f3d2e7fa249741a6.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Been a while for an update. Things have slowly been recovering. Ripped out some pieces that needed to put today including my dead table I grew from a frag.
9dbf39002e86deeea221b9ba633b4daf.jpg

f991649ac3d680d633ad05e721d67480.jpg

I’m hoping whatever the issue was has been resolved now. Colors are slowly returning on corals and I stared dosing Vibrant to knock this annoying GHA.

I’ve have good results with the Flucanazole and GHA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For real? I thought it was just good on bryopsis? I’ve never had bryopsis or had to treat for it, so I’m not too knowledgeable when it comes to Flucanazole. It’s worth trying if Vibrant fails!

For real? I thought it was just good on bryopsis? I’ve never had bryopsis or had to treat for it, so I’m not too knowledgeable when it comes to Flucanazole. It’s worth trying if Vibrant fails!

I tried vibrant and it knocked out my bubble algae but didn’t do anything for my GHA.

Vibrant usually works, but always leaves me with cyano. Always....

Ty and I were talking about this last night. We guess knocking out the nutrient consuming algae and also releasing the stores nutrients in the algae Spurs a mini cycle in the tank. As long as it results in no more GHA, I really don’t care!
  • Like 1

I used Fluconazole for Briopsis. It removed it incredibly efficiently. Just evaporated over a period of a few weeks. And, unexpectedly, it killed all traces of hair algae (it was taking over chaeto in my sump, with some small spots in the DT). That was four months ago. No HA or Briopsis has returned.

I did have to restart my chaeto with a fresh batch after treatment, though. But my new stuff is growing like crazy just like pre-treatment.

• Like 2

Would it then be advisable to be immediately aggressive with the PO4 removing method of your choice, carbon use, and perhaps polyfilter, and some large water changes to immediately remove whatever that dead algae is providing the water?

4 hours ago, Bpb said:

Would it then be advisable to be immediately aggressive with the PO4 removing method of your choice, carbon use, and perhaps polyfilter, and some large water changes to immediately remove whatever that dead algae is providing the water?

PO4 is 0.05 and my nitrates are 0.5. Pretty darn low for my standards. I recently added 1 tablespoon of biopellets to my depleted reactor and that seems to have destroyed my nitrates for now.

• Like 1