The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

I hope you're doing a couple water changes to mitigate some of the bloom!

10 gallons last night. Luckily the aquarium fairy left me a 5 gallon bucket or pre-made water for me so I just had to whip up 5 gallons of my own. I'll be testing today after work to see if it has come down at all. Unfortunately my efflo that survived the exodus did not survive this nutrient spike bye.gif

If you need made water I've got 100 gallons ready to go. 1.025 instant ocean.

100 gallons?! What, do you have a water tanker that drives around for emergency tank house-calls? rofl.gif Not a bad idea really

I bet you that aquarium fairy has an efflo or two he can part with too.

Oooooh, that would be nice. Maybe if I'm lucky I can find an efflo in LA when I'm cherry picking smile.png

In other news I added an Ocean Revive LED fixture to my tank last night. I can't fit another Orphek Atlantik over my tank because they are too long (and wayyyyyy too $$$$). The Ocean Revive is a lot cheaper and shorter so it'll hopefully fit well over the tank. I also have two 46" T5's that I will run with the LEDs and I'm hoping that the uniform light from the T5's will blend the different LED spectrum's together well without causing a huge aesthetic eyesore.

• Like 1

If you need made water I've got 100 gallons ready to go. 1.025 instant ocean.

100 gallons?! What, do you have a water tanker that drives around for emergency tank house-calls? :rofl: Not a bad idea really

I bet you that aquarium fairy has an efflo or two he can part with too.

Oooooh, that would be nice. Maybe if I'm lucky I can find an efflo in LA when I'm cherry picking :)
Nah just a 100 gallon cone bottom for my personal consumption, and I don't make house calls you would need to come get as much as you need. :)

Nutrient levels in the tank are slowly coming down. I put my carbon and GFO online yesterday, but one 20 minutes off 10 minutes cycle through the Apex so I don't shock the tank by eliminating nutrients too quickly. Of course I made a change and then jumped on a plane for Nevada. When will I ever learn? [emoji849]

So an (somewhat) interesting observation I noticed last night. I tested everything I could to get a baseline of the tank parameters and I found my Mg to be at 1100 ppm. My Mg was pretty low like this in my 50 gallon before I spiked the Mg to kill off some pests. I find it curious that my Mg is low again, especially after all the new water I've added to the tank lately. My guess is the test kit I have runs on the lower end, so I may need to borrow someone's Mg test kit and run a comparison. That or the bucket of salt I just finished was deficient in Mg.

Now that I've switched to a new salt source and have my CaRX running the levels will naturally increase, otherwise I'll probably set up a dosing regiment for Mg to keep those levels up.

In my old tank I had a very hard time keeping Mg above 1100. I fixed it by adding dolomite to my calcium reactor and manually dosing Mg till I got to a level I wanted. The dolomite held my levels and for the last 2 years of that tanks life I didn't have to dose Mg. I don't know what the current philosophy on adding dolomite to reactors is currently but know it worked in the past for me.

My current tank is much smaller than my old tank and I have had decent luck manually dosing to get it where I want it but will see as things grow out how much dosing I have to do. I also check all newly made saltwater and manually does Mg to it if I get test results lower than expected.

• Like 1

What is your goal Mg level? I try to mimic natural seawater levels for just about everything. Here is the chart that I use.

I'm hoping to keep it above 1200, maybe 1350 as the highest level. But I know 1100 is too low.

In my old tank I had a very hard time keeping Mg above 1100. I fixed it by adding dolomite to my calcium reactor and manually dosing Mg till I got to a level I wanted. The dolomite held my levels and for the last 2 years of that tanks life I didn't have to dose Mg. I don't know what the current philosophy on adding dolomite to reactors is currently but know it worked in the past for me.

My current tank is much smaller than my old tank and I have had decent luck manually dosing to get it where I want it but will see as things grow out how much dosing I have to do. I also check all newly made saltwater and manually does Mg to it if I get test results lower than expected.

I did order some Neomag this morning to add to my calcium reactor. I haven't researched dolomite yet, but that might be something worth looking into for the future!

Interesting thing, I've never really had to dose Mg to keep it up in my last two tanks spanning almost 6 years. I just ran normal CaRX media and that was it. In my 125-gallon, it actually slowly went up over the 3 years.

Finally got back from Nevada and California and to my pleasure I have found all my corals alive and gaining color and PE back! This is great because with my old tank I would come back and find health in decline and dead corals [emoji33]. The increase in water volume really leveled out fluctuations and has made things much more stable for the corals. Loving it!

Nutrients have come down too, PO4 is down to 0.00 ppm and NO3 is down to about 4 ppm. Some algae growth, but not terrible. I did notice that the half of my tank with Ocean Revive LEDs had more algae than the half with the Orphek. Not sure if this is due to light intensity or spectral differences, but I found it interesting. I'll look forward to see which one grows corals the best.

I did add a few SPS colonies and these little guys to the tank

a7ee795bff163cec3bc01472d04e29fd.jpg

I did leave out the darker crab, he looked like trouble.

• Like 1