The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

Glad to hear you found a culprit. Did any ICP test reveal anything?

My tank has also struggled to keep corals alive until a recent/my first Triton test showed elevated tin levels. So I also found a magnetic hook that sits above my sump was rusty, so after removing and doing 5×60 gallon water changes, corals are finally surviving and growing.

Ive heard Metasorb can help, but I wouldn't rely on Curpisorb which many ppl have suggested. I used it for weeks wtih GAC and retested with no changes. Water changes are the only way I am seeing progress.

3 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

When you get home from a week in Wyoming and your CO2 cylinder is bled dry and your alk dropped from 8.3 to 5.2, you use what CO2 you have until you can swap out the 20lb cylinder emoji23.png
1edc798b2cc051d5c07f383c45c1cec0.jpg

With all the crap you come home to after your trips, you should market your corals as "Travel Tested®"  😋

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

When you get home from a week in Wyoming and your CO2 cylinder is bled dry and your alk dropped from 8.3 to 5.2, you use what CO2 you have until you can swap out the 20lb cylinder emoji23.png

Ouch

Hate to hear that!  How do you know when your CO2 is going to run out?  Does the pressure decrease gradually or die all at once like propane?

The regulator gauge SHOULD show the pressure. But my cheap Milwaukee brand gauge must be broken because it was reading 500 psi a week ago. Time to upgrade!!

• 1 month later...

I guess I have a vacation curse, because every time I take a vacation some disaster befalls my tank. Last year there was a power outage while I was gone and following that I lost several thousand in SPS and my coral health never really rebounded to what it was pre-trip. This year an anemone somehow found its way out of its cage and into a powerhead within days of me leaving.

This anemone was in a cage for months and somehow got out within a couple days of me leaving the country? Really?! I leave town for work every other week and something like this happens when my wife and I are on the other side of the world?! [emoji36]Luckily an extremely good friend and reliable hobbyist in my neighborhood was available to perform an emergency water change and removed some dead fish. From my count I only have 3 fish left in the tank and I used to have over 20.
aef49fcf8626c7ebb06699d5ae8d08ed.jpg

I returned home last night and was too tired to perform water tests, but without my grazing fish anymore, ulva exploded. I tore out what was growing near the surface of the tank and it was pretty substantial. Probably going to tear everything out and re-aquascape while I’m essentially fishless. [emoji58]
9eb7590c971477630fbd3b7e598a1524.jpg

• Sad 1

I guess I have a vacation curse, because every time I take a vacation some disaster befalls my tank. Last year there was a power outage while I was gone and following that I lost several thousand in SPS and my coral health never really rebounded to what it was pre-trip. This year an anemone somehow found its way out of its cage and into a powerhead within days of me leaving.

This anemone was in a cage for months and somehow got out within a couple days of me leaving the country? Really?! I leave town for work every other week and something like this happens when my wife and I are on the other side of the world?! [emoji36]Luckily an extremely good friend and reliable hobbyist in my neighborhood was available to perform an emergency water change and removed some dead fish. From my count I only have 3 fish left in the tank and I used to have over 20.
aef49fcf8626c7ebb06699d5ae8d08ed.jpg

I returned home last night and was too tired to perform water tests, but without my grazing fish anymore, ulva exploded. I tore out what was growing near the surface of the tank and it was pretty substantial. Probably going to tear everything out and re-aquascape while I’m essentially fishless. [emoji58]
9eb7590c971477630fbd3b7e598a1524.jpg
Toss that with some sesame oil, ponzu, and sesame seeds [emoji1787][emoji1787].

But really, sorry to hear that happened. This hobby definitely tests one's resilience

• 2 months later...

I broke down and couldn’t take this slow mysterious death any longer. I drained the tank, dipped all the corals in witches hazel, Lugols, and potassium chloride. Then I ripped out all the palys and algae I could find, stirred up the sand bed, and replaced 100% of the water. I expect some coral losses, but if it resolves my phantom issue, it’s a cost I’m willing to pay.

Ready to tear everything out and start dipping
9f038ff9f91afd7946091f0feec1d59c.jpg

9 hours later, rocks, corals, and fish are back in.
1e8ebe6e8c68b7bc7b148624c6d20788.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1