The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

1 hour ago, FarmerTy said:

Why do you have to go around making logical sense on this board. This is a place of no logic!

damn, i forgot.

I'll see what I can do. The solenoid hasn't failed me yet in roughly 2 years now so I might just keep riding it out.

or its just stuck open... the solenoid feel hot? pull the power to test it sometimes? :)

My old method of cycling on and off with pH killed my solenoids every 1.5 or less years.

yea, why my apex has a defer on it... i have a max-cycle amount w/ that in place.

22 minutes ago, Isaac said:

****, i forgot.

or its just stuck open... the solenoid feel hot? pull the power to test it sometimes? :)

yea, why my apex has a defer on it... i have a max-cycle amount w/ that in place.

I feel like solenoids get stuck open rather than closed? I could be wrong, but that's what I've seen in the field.

2 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

I feel like solenoids get stuck open rather than closed? I could be wrong, but that's what I've seen in the field.

depends if they are NO or NC.  the "stuck" refers to the opposite of the "natural."  co2 dosers are NC, energizing it goes NO.  i've seen relays go either way, due to heat or the arching causing a welding/fuse of the contactor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sad news. The pink and yellow goni I posted above randomly died on me this week. Everything else in the tank looks fine and no parameter has drifted radically. All I can think of is the new green and yellow goni I recently added brought in something that the pink goni succumbed to? No idea, but I'm super bummed that this amazing goni is gone. It started off with shrinking polyps on one half of the colony and then in a matter of days all the polyps fell off. Still baffled...
384bde7278bc63b29605dfce0b5e068f.jpg

Other than my dead prized goni, everything else is looking stellar!
I moved my ASD Rainbow mille to an area with higher flow, seems to be enjoying it
e7d906eb39c52d90db43d4d054c074f9.jpg

I forgot how beautiful my mag was when it was on my glass, glad I can see those bright neon green tentacles again! 3a96d15c2de990ca21963475a4682f08.jpg

RCA Baton Rouge is looking unworldly
94e66521439ef6c221b761837b9207cb.jpg

DaM mille is my favorite fuzzy acro [emoji4]
f2e794d0a68c9db0233b0a1ecadfb3ed.jpg

My favorite little goby in his house
b7c66d50d141307b84a6434717e5c322.jpg

Obligatory Vivids Confetti growth update shot
a4fc604c5f24aa7d6eba3a58e9fb649d.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Only tank of the day, I still have lots more work to do to deserve TOTM emoji23.png Still, an incredibly humbling recognition.

I see now it says Reef Tank 365 but still worth the recognition either way. I will take tank of the hour if they give it :-)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got a couple more Eviota gobies this week. Can't get enough of these little guys!

c97149fdf6c7c52beac41b8f796bf157.jpg

Here's a picture of the newest golden eviota goby hanging out with the original one

51b4422648e5deaf85acbd792a32f129.jpg

And for size reference...[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

23a091e387f7c9800efe9c10236b6bc8.jpg

Love those little things. So much fun to be found in the fine details of a reef tank!

While I'm at it, my squamosa is still alive and well [emoji16]

e1eb6fdab0d4ec149a92c2bc116664d7.jpg

• Like 2

I like where you're going with the eviota gobies as well.

At one point, I was considering adding 7-10 green banded gobies (Tigrigobius multifasciatus) bc I thought it would be cool having a group of them popping in and out of my pukani.

Might still do it down the line, provided a stay away from more aggressive show fish.

• Like 1

You grow table acros better than the ocean does! You have to tell me your secrets! Is it your salt? What salt are you using

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use Brawndo sea salt. It's got the electrolytes corals love and the taste they crave.

I use plain ol Instant Ocean salt. Hardly ever change the water either. Just try my hardest to keep parameters stable.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My squamy is still alive and kicking! Taking lots of photos while I can, you never know about clams and when they'll decide to kick the bucket!
176e1012b008b09c3eea3c343c133cc4.jpg

I know I'm probably sounding like a broken record, but man I LOVE these eviota gobies! They're so mobile and inquisitive. When I shut my pumps off, all my big fish hide, but these little guys come out and explore the tank. They're not afraid of anything! They swim up and watch what I'm doing, hardly budge when I move my hand in the water.
00fc4a86ccc054b0ab50cc5fb5527d99.jpg

Hard to capture the blue of my blue matrix, but it is stunning! Darker blue than my Oregon Tort IMHO.
9c52a95808eba4df80564693c52d47e1.jpg

Vivid Confetti growth has slowed down, seems like it has reached its borders with other corals and is just thickening up now. In the process of clearing more growth space for it...
0d2229bf72e1e6e14a3008ceb8aae618.jpg

• Like 3