The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

Nice man! Better print up an instruction sheet and tape it to the containers so your wife knows how to work that thing when you're gone! And giant "Saltwater" and "RO/DI" water signs with flashing LEDs in bright yellow and red for easy identification! [emoji6]

I'll work on that once I get back from the Midwest. Hopefully it won't be needed until then.... I might even have a button you push that plays an audio tape describing the steps to properly operate it. Maybe I'll get Morgan Freeman to perform the narration
If you get Morgan Freeman, I might go over there and push the button just to hear the sweet symphonies of his voice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Visited Unique Corals while I was in LA last week and picked up some jewels. I've had them in QT for a week now and I noticed today that my Pink Floyd was dying from the bottom up. No clue why, so I dipped him and his friends and put them in the DT, which has much better water quality and movement.

Pink Floyd with most of the dying base covered in glue. In the picture it looks like I didn't get the top line, but I'll keep an eye on it and reglue if it looks worse.
714dd77ea05aa115a1bc51a0cfa60e91.jpg

Hard to tell since the lights were turning off, but diagonally from the Pink Floyd to the back right is 1. Pink Floyd 2. UC Blue Ogor 3. UC Teal Tort and 4. Ultimate Blue Stag 5. To the right of the Pink Floyd is the UC Bali Shortcake
7a9064064fdc95bccb945af76e328843.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Tore out two of my larger colonies from my tank today. I'm running out of room and accumulating so many "high end" frags, some corals had to go. I bought the Two Guy Coral Inner Planet, Red Massacre Mille, TGC Event Horizon Mille, and s gold torch this week.

I tore out my red Mille
525d3bac2d36355e92acb5b097f8b18a.jpg
48803dcf797d02f660c60233bf259a0b.jpg

And I removed my GE Purple Orchid. That one didn't come out as nicely and is more of a jumble of branches now than a colony. New frags from Unique Coral and Two Guys Coral have been glued and I'm ready to start growing!8eabf211a1727816c156555f11d2ea6b.jpg

• Like 1

You guys are killing me :rolleyes:
Whatever that red colony is right below the JG Yellow seems to be basking in the glow (and looking great)

Yeah I don't know what it is, I got it from@juiceman, but as far as I can tell it's a hyacinthus. It's similar to the red planet, but a bit darker red. Maybe Juiceman will chime in and remind me what it is.

One of the corals I bought from AquaSD a couple months ago I bought because it looked like it had the potential to be a combination or blue, red, and green. AMAZING!!! [emoji7][emoji857][emoji857]

Well as corals directly from the ocean tend to do, it completely lost those colors and became a drab green with nice blue tips. Yeah it looked nice, but nothing special. Well tonight I was looking at it with actinics on, and it looks like red is starting to slowly reappear! Whoop! So pumped if this trend continues, it could be a real stunner if it does.

06429535c102e090515c28322ea4e539.png

And here's my little collection of "high end" frags. I'm currently in a stage of "high end" expansion for a better coral portfolio [emoji848]I just think they look pretty.

24b25cdcfd5cba7b7433d5fe4922b4e7.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jolt said:

The color contrast of those 4 new ones should be pretty special when they grow out.

Yeah I've realized, now that many of my original corals have grown into full colonies, that I did not originally plan my color placements very well. I have a lot of similar colored colonies close to each other and it makes the overall tank layout look a bit funky. I'm definitely more aware of my placement of coral frags these days to be sure that I have good color balance throughout the tank in the future.

23 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Yeah I've realized, now that many of my original corals have grown into full colonies, that I did not originally plan my color placements very well. I have a lot of similar colored colonies close to each other and it makes the overall tank layout look a bit funky. I'm definitely more aware of my placement of coral frags these days to be sure that I have good color balance throughout the tank in the future.

Nice, can't wait to see the progression!  At some point we're gonna have to talk confetti frag.  Just sayin ...

6 minutes ago, jolt said:

Nice, can't wait to see the progression!  At some point we're gonna have to talk confetti frag.  Just sayin ...

Haha well you had better hope that I'm clumsy and accidentally break off a branch. I don't plan on fragging it until it's grown out into a decent sized colony. This frag is beautiful, but the coral looks best as a large colony when you can see color gradients. It's an amazing coral that in lower light sections the polyps are green, but up in higher light they turn red/orange. So with a large colony you'll see green polyps towards the base of the coral that morph into warmer colors towards the tips :wub: So that's what I'm aiming for with this guy. Eventually frags will have to be made once it becomes crowded in that area, it's a good thing you're the most patient member of this club!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Haha well you had better hope that I'm clumsy and accidentally break off a branch. I don't plan on fragging it until it's grown out into a decent sized colony. This frag is beautiful, but the coral looks best as a large colony when you can see color gradients. It's an amazing coral that in lower light sections the polyps are green, but up in higher light they turn red/orange. So with a large colony you'll see green polyps towards the base of the coral that morph into warmer colors towards the tips :wub: So that's what I'm aiming for with this guy. Eventually frags will have to be made once it becomes crowded in that area, it's a good thing you're the most patient member of this club!

I'm patient and I have a big display with practically no coral in it :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...