The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

Looks like you picked up the caliche and just threw it in the reactor for a picture.

Dang it! You caught on to me Ty! I thought I would be able to fool my corals into thinking what was being dissolved was coral skeleton. I mean I'm sure caliche is full of calcium and minerals...

And thank you Ty for some how stumbling upon this Craigslist ad in a different city and referring it to me. You must pine for the days when you had so much free time you could search for aquarium toys in other cities on CL just for the heck of it.

Dang it! You caught on to me Ty! I thought I would be able to fool my corals into thinking what was being dissolved was coral skeleton. I mean I'm sure caliche is full of calcium and minerals...

And thank you Ty for some how stumbling upon this Craigslist ad in a different city and referring it to me. You must pine for the days when you had so much free time you could search for aquarium toys in other cities on CL just for the heck of it.

My other hobby besides reefing is spending other people's money. That's why I got into real estate... Might as well make a career out of helping other people spend their money I say. [emoji6]

My other hobby besides reefing is spending other people's money. That's why I got into real estate... Might as well make a career out of helping other people spend their money I say. [emoji6]

Well sir, you've managed to spend lots of my money so far. I assume hats why you moved into the same neighborhood, so you could spend more of it and faster.
  • Like 1

The problem in my tank certainly seems to have been resolved. After getting new RO filters and doing several water changes, the corals look much better. I was only out of town for 2 days and I can see noticeable coral growth and coloration improvements. Definitely on the path to recovery and 100% health. Looks like I'll be needing to make room on the frag rack too now that corals are starting to grow into each other.
592f58a307073b1735ed2f63416a3728.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

These guys?9e46ae3e95681fd50b38ea7d495db8ce.jpg

Nope! Although those will be fun to play hide and seek with in the future! The fish I saw yesterday was a red headed goby. I thought it died a long time ago, it's one of the many joys of having a reef tank, all the different levels of life that can survive in a small area.

• Like 1

Just now, Bluemoon said:

Looks like a champ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, too bad he isn't so interested in the female I have in the tank. They mostly leave each other alone, or he'll sometimes push her out of his current hunting ground. A begrudging marriage at best.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build! Beautiful sticks and yay for finding Lazarus!  FWIW, I used the micro-bubbling technique for roughly 8 months before moving to Texas.  I feel it does have some positive benefits, but I could never figure out how or why. Corals seemed to get good growth during my experiment and for sure the tank water remained crystal clear, I stopped running carbon and seemed even clearer than when I had carbon online.

I've stopped running it since moving to Texas, but wouldn't be opposed to incorporate it again on my next bigger build.  I used it as recommended by Cruz on R2R, limewood diffuser set near the rapid flow into the pump chamber of my sump, which only allowed the micro bubbles to enter the display, while all other bubbles just went to the surface. The bubble size you ideally want are so small you can barely see them with the naked eye.

I certainly didn't see any adverse effects from running it, but I did have outside air running to my skimmer, which I do not have that luxury now, which is part of the reason I'm not running it anymore. My temps and PH were pretty stable throughout the day and night.

Nice build! Beautiful sticks and yay for finding Lazarus!  FWIW, I used the micro-bubbling technique for roughly 8 months before moving to Texas.  I feel it does have some positive benefits, but I could never figure out how or why. Corals seemed to get good growth during my experiment and for sure the tank water remained crystal clear, I stopped running carbon and seemed even clearer than when I had carbon online.
I've stopped running it since moving to Texas, but wouldn't be opposed to incorporate it again on my next bigger build.  I used it as recommended by Cruz on R2R, limewood diffuser set near the rapid flow into the pump chamber of my sump, which only allowed the micro bubbles to enter the display, while all other bubbles just went to the surface. The bubble size you ideally want are so small you can barely see them with the naked eye.
I certainly didn't see any adverse effects from running it, but I did have outside air running to my skimmer, which I do not have that luxury now, which is part of the reason I'm not running it anymore. My temps and PH were pretty stable throughout the day and night.

Welcome to Texas! And Thanks for the compliment! I haven't run microbubbles in a while. Oddly my pH was dropping while running outside air and my neighbors started working on their old beat up cars and producing lots of nasty smelling black smoke so for the safety of my tank I shut off outside air intake. I'm going to upgrade my calcium reactor to a dual chamber to help degas the effluent and bring up my overall pH instead.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd crack out the junky iPhone camera and take some shots to track coral growth. Everything is looking good and colors have mostly returned since the last RO/DI issue.
4d8327ab8db5006dc7da47eeead3918c.jpg

Was forced to frag my red planet for the first time since it was growing into my GE Key Lime Breeze
e7ed7bb77f49906edcebde86e5f64c6a.jpg

My new H. magnifica anemone has colored up nicely!
db38cc9ecb09dcd39aafb6e4781345ea.jpg

The battle of the tables continues to rage. Eventually someone will lose...
9aa47cdaefbfb8e40ccf2ed2cca295a1.jpg

Ice fire hasn't recovered yet sadly, but the Hawkins is reaching weed-like growth
3a3b3f24664d94e69542d5c7efb516d3.jpg

It's not the most beautiful, but I'm a sucker for large colonies..
7f643e67cea66f620581aeb1120f9097.jpg

Sunset milli has sprouted lots of branches. Not sure if it'll table or just cluster. Time will tell [emoji1]
8d077fa1a09757a534b1a8a1bf224930.jpg

Red dragon will eventually take over the front of my tank, an issue I'm not too worried about. The sand bed continues to have red slime algae problems. Chemiclean seems to have no effect on it, so I'm not 100% it's cyano.... any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
971e203ad5172523a3091a4f2851584a.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...