Tank drilled

Hamp

I need my tanks drilled asap. Anyone know where, or want to do it? Or have a diamond bit?

The club also has a set of diamond bits available to Premium members if you want to drill it yourself. I did mine and though it's a little nerve-wracking, it really isn't difficult if you take your time and keep running water on the bit while you drill.

I talked to Shane at Fishy business. He said he would drill it for $20 a hole, or put in overflow, plumbing and bulkheads for $65 a hole. My tank sprung a leak, and i finished resealing it last night. I think I am going to let the silicone set for a few days before moving it around. I am kind of leaning towards doing it myself. I would like to try it out. I think I will sleep on it while the silicone cures.

I recently drilled a 40B for the first time. Watched a few HOWTO videos beforehand. The keys to success were having a cordless drill and being patient --- it takes a while to drill the hole. I would do it again in a heartbeat, it's not that scary.

It is very easy. I was so scared at first. I did my homework and drilled my 160g and a couple of 40g. For 20 dollars you can order the drill bit and then have it around for later projects. Good luck.

DIY guy here, drill it yourself. It's totally easy. For the silicone, leave it alone for a week to fully cure before doing anything with it.

Just my opinion, but I'm not really a fan of Shane's overflow/plumbing setup. I've never had it myself though, just seen it on other tanks, so my opinion only goes so far. Maybe someone who has it can chime in on their experience with it.

Here is an excerpt from something I posted a while back. Hope it helps

Andre

2.) Drilling the tank.

Prepping for the drilling process

iphone pictures 008.JPG

The first thing is to determine if the tank has any or all tempered panels. Tempered panels cannot be drilled. The best way to do this is to call the manufacturer with information about the tank. All tanks have a sticker somewhere on them with a code and a date. This information along with the dimensions of the tank is all that is needed for the technical or engineering department of the manufacturer to tell you if some or all the panels are tempered. I located the sticker under the left side front top frame recorded the information and called Marineland and got an engineer on the phone who was happy to look up the information for me. Good news as no panels on this tank were tempered. He also said in most cases on large tanks any glass 10mm and over manufactured by Marineland will rarely be tempered. With this in hand I still used the layman way to tell is glass is tempered. In an area of low ambient light place a polarized light source behind the glass. This can be any LED screen such as a laptop or a smart phone. Then look thru a pair of polarized sun glasses. If all you see is a regular screen then no tempered glass. But if you see distortions normally looking like black or gray bars running across the picture then it is tempered glass. Great news I saw no distortions. To verify my results and insure I was actually utilizing polarized sunglasses I looked at a known piece of tempered glass, the side glass of my newer model automobile with the light source and the sunglasses. I saw the distortions verifying the sunglasses show actual distortions when viewing tempered glass.

iphone pictures 005.JPG

Next determine the size of the hole wanted to fit any particular bulkhead you want to utilize. Remember bulkheads are listed in size by the passage size thru the bulkhead and the fitting that can be placed into it. The hole needed to install the bulkhead will be significantly larger than the listed size of the bulkhead and is normally noted in millimeters. IE my 1 ½ bulkhead required a 60mm hole. Not all same sized bulk heads will require the same size hole, so be sure to know before you drill. In my case I want to install the new H2Overflow and anti-siphon returns so I purchased the entire kit including the two diamond coated boring bits and a template to determine exactly where to drill.

Drilling

First determine where you need to drill. A couple of simple guidelines is try to never drill closer to a seam than 2 and try to never drill two or more holes closer than 3. And only drill as many holes as absolutely needed. The more you drill the more you weaken the integrity of the glass. The only reason we can drill our tanks in the first place is because the glass is grossly over engineered. Holes closer to the top weaken the structure less than holes drilled in the bottom where the bulk of the weight is located. Buy or build a jig to guide you thru the process, this is done utilizing a small square or rectangle of ¾ plywood. Measure the holes from the frame or if frameless from the edge of glass from two directions if in a corner and one direction if not a corner and transfer onto the plywood measuring exactly the same. Then drill with a hole saw to the same dimensions as the diamond hole saw. Next cut a small V shape with the smaller end of the V opening into the hole. This will allow you to place a water source on the bit while drilling.

Now firmly attach the jig in place to the tank with bar clamps or with the clear packing tape used in dispensers. Note if using the packing tape be sure to wet the glass first as his stuff is really hard to peel off glass. The water gives it just enough damping to stick but yet peel off easily. Just make sure the jig is firmly in place. Take your diamond hole saw and place into the jig. Using a marker mark the hole saw at the top of jig. Take out the saw and now measure from the line on blade towards the stem of saw the exact number of mms the glass you are drilling and make another mark all the way around the blade. This way when you are drilling and this line approaches the top of jig you will know when to slow down and ease up on the drill as not to chip out the back of glass. Next apply the water source using a garden house clamped or taped in place where the water flows into the V and hole in your jig.

Place the drill in the jig and with a cordless drill (Do not use a corded drill and a water source together as this is an electrocution hazard.) on high mode begin drilling with only the force of the weight of the drill. Once the drill water begins to produce a little white color you can slowly rock the drill ever so slightly still leaving the weight only of the drill as pressure. You will see more white material in the water falling from the jig. This is an indication it is moving thru the glass. As the line on the bit approaches the top of the jig stop rocking and make sure the drill is in perpendicular alignment to the glass so the drill will go thru the glass evenly and prevent a chipping out of glass on the back side.

I prefer two things when I drill. I like to drill in a downward position instead of drilling in front of me this way near the end I can utilize the centering level found on the end of most cordless drills to insure I am exactly perpendicular to my glass. And I like to drill from the side where the gasket is going to go. So some applications will require drilling from the inside of the tank and some from the outside of the tank. It takes approximately 3+ minutes of continuous drilling time to drill a hole in 10 mm glass once started. A bit will cost approximately $20 and is only good for 3 5 holes depending on thickness of glass. Since Im drilling 12 mm glass My drilling time is about 5 minutes and my bit would be good for three holes. And once you are thru drilling, DO NOT run your finger in the hole to check it, as glass holes, their cut outs and shavings are frequently sharp. Use fine grit sandpaper to smooth the edge of the cut if needed. Upon inspection a small amount of chip out is normal and will not affect your sealing with the bulkhead. If there is significant chip out then use some silicon when applying the bulk head. Some do this anyway.

iphone pictures 009.JPG

Archived