Isaac's 180+

Isaac

so part of the sump cleanout was removing the old bioballs...  the idea is great, but it also backfires if you are trying to limit surfaces for pests.  I have a big enough fuge for pods and such, i dont think i need the bioballs anymore...anyways... i liked the tray ontop, but i wanted to start using a sock too.... so, my first acrylic build attempt...

measure twice... cut once... forget to include width of the sheet for the back,, compensate *lol*  originally i was planning on having a solid back panel.. but ended up having to split it.. oops. (pardon the huge bag of SHOES for the garage sale) 

cutsheet...

20180823_190931 (Medium).jpg

compared..

20180824_172201 (Medium).jpg 

installed..

20180824_173822 (Medium).jpg 

still need to make the splash guard..

20180824_174221 (Medium).jpg

"why the tray isaac?"  if a fish makes it down, they can flop into the sump.  once i had bubble algea, having it not in the sock made it easy to remove and not burst while not knowing it was in the sock tumbling/bursting (never saw any again... i got lucky), etc.  the filter in the tray is a medium/large koi pond filter.

Are those the felt type socks? How do you plan to clean those? I guess the bigger ones would be easier to turn inside out than the 4”. I switched to the nylon ones for my upgrade. Gonna see if those work better. Someone told me they’re a lot easier to clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Christyef said:

Are those the felt type socks? How do you plan to clean those? I guess the bigger ones would be easier to turn inside out than the 4”. I switched to the nylon ones for my upgrade. Gonna see if those work better. Someone told me they’re a lot easier to clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are alot easier to clean and clog less frequently. 

With felt, never had to turn them inaide out. Just ran them in my washer  with no detergent and they cleaned just fine.

I use 4" ones for the skimmer drain... i have like 12. when I have about 10 used I disk then in tap water, then use a house to spray em. turn them inside out with a broomstick and spray again. then they soak in wreak bleach bucket for an hour. then washing machine with vinegar. then washing machine with nothing. I have to do all this because they get caked on since I wait and do them in bulk. Add 7"ones to the mix from 180 and 40 tanks now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Mini-PSA.

when you clean your pumps/powerheads/etc... make sure to check your level sensors if you have any.

I noticed by return pump blowing bubbles, my "sumplow" sensor didnt detect it.  since its a saltwater environment, they are expected to fail.... these lasted about 4yrs. (not bad at all)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So i was going through my thread trying to find my post about my water filters and I think i need to provide a ton of various updates.

1. The axis of paly's war has somewhat spread, it has combined forces with GSP.... which totally sucks. orange sponge experiment failed, its just too slow.
  2. my turf scrubber is still working too well, nitrates hover at 5 while overfeeding.  phosphates i cant get under 0.22, but nothing seems to be complaining too much.
  3. skimmer-neck cleaner worked for quite a while, but seems to bind more often now.  I need to figure out a bearing system for it between the cap and rod.
  4. the bristleworm trap works too well, i rarely use it until i see more than 5-10 out at first glance
  5. no fish deaths this past year *knock on wood* the maroon clown is a hog, the rest look healthy AF.
  6. the corals i have are waaaaaay overgrown in both DT and frag tank, i need to find time to take picts and post
  7. cleaner shrimp is gone (or hiding), peppermints are still in there... probably 8-10? 
  8. asterina's are back in full force, Harlequin's require more consistent husbandry and are gone, ugh.
  9. i've amassed a 5gal bucket of spent DI resin.  I plan on taking the DI recharge thing and supersizing it with https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BQKUAC (i got a steal on it)
  10. it took 16mo until my Alk started dropping from my CARX, finally changed it out.  I used 100% reborn that batch.  I had issues all year tweaking the CARX ph trigger value lower and lower and lower.... was all over the place.  replaced with cleaned up leftover, which included neomag that was still not spent (was about 30%), 20% coarse ARM, 50% reborn. and raised initial ph trigger.  im hoping this gives me a bit more stability.
  11. i have 3 spare UV bulbs by using keepa's alerts on amazon warehouse deals at avg $10 each
  12. 3-d printed overflow on frag tank is still working very well  *knock on wood*
  13. i've started using z-wave water sensors everywhere in the house (sinks, washer machine.. and under all tanks)
  14. i put my spare apex on my office tank, w/ a cheaper pH probe from ebay. 1st probe fails in 2 weeks, second probe is at a year
  15. someone still has my blue laser *lol*  (going through inbox)
  16. im sure i missed more, my head hurts after trying to remember this much so far
  • Like 3