Isaac's 180+

Isaac

still fighting GHA in my frag tank.  I just put about 400g of this in the overflow chamber of the frag tank after my sponge:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/xport-po4-phosphate-absorbtion-media-brightwell.html

I plan on changing out the grates and cleaning the GHA this weekend, we'll see if these "special" rust lavarock looking stones are any better than plain GFO!

Is it GHA or bryopsis? I mean I’m sure you know, but I used fluconazole on my 35 gal and all my algae was gone in 5 weeks! And honestly, I don’t know if mine was GHA or bryopsis. It just looked like an 80’s rock hair band, but the fluconazole worked. Haven’t had one piece since. And that’s been over a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another product I’ve been seeing a lot lately is Vibrant. Possibly just snake oil, but all the reviews seem good. YouTube videos and the customer service FAQ are also pretty informative. Maybe worth looking at, if you haven’t already. 🤷‍♀

its thin and hairy.. def GHA.  didnt get around to cleaning the grates today.. mebbe tomorrow.  my next po4 test is in a couple days, we'll see if this xport put a dent in it.

• Like 1

based on my readings lastnight, it looks like the xport is actually working.  Was at 0.33 last week.  when i cleaned the frag tank out, it counts as a 10% water change... so minus .03.  I still have the redsea po4-no3 at a very slow rate, so expecting .01-.03 drop from that... 0.28-ish is what i was expecting.   It tested at 0.20.  I did lose my fireshrimp in the frag tank... i guess from the ph swing when i added the xport.  when i check next week, we'll know for sure if xport is working or this was just a fluke.  (nitrates 0 this week, was 1-2 last week)

image.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

just finished expanding my "water plant"  went from 6 stages to 10.  cleaned and labeled while i was at it.

old   new
1- sediment
2- carbon block
3- GAC
----pressure gauge here
4- RO
----RO "bladder" tank here, also goes upstairs to office keurig and office tank's DI
----TDS meter here
5- DI
6- DI
----TDS meter here
  ----TDS meter here
1- sediment
2- carbon block
3- carbon block
4- GAC
5- GAC
----pressure gauge here
6- RO
7- RO
----pressure gauge here
----RO "bladder" tank here, also goes upstairs to office keurig and office tank's DI
----TDS meter here
8- DI
9- DI
10- DI
----TDS meter here
----TDS meter on RO waste line

20180701_011611.jpg

• Like 2

just finished expanding my "water plant"  went from 6 stages to 10.  cleaned and labeled while i was at it.
old   new
1- sediment
2- carbon block
3- GAC
----pressure gauge here
4- RO
----TDS meter here
5- DI
6- DI
----TDS meter here
  ----TDS meter here
1- sediment
2- carbon block
3- carbon block
4- GAC
5- GAC
----pressure gauge here
6- RO
7- RO
----pressure gauge here
----TDS meter here
8- DI
9- DI
10- DI
----TDS meter here
----TDS meter on RO waste line
20180701_011611.thumb.jpg.8470ce505d1b5186be3c03d5e5a2e6d5.jpg
I feel so inadequate... I'm only running 8... [emoji29]
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i;ve got something odd going on last month.  I cant keep alk about 8kh w/o dosing ~27.5ml/night.  This is in addition to the CARX.  My CA/MG are on the high end (480-500/1480-1520).  I lowered the ph level on my CARX, thinking it might cause alk to spike... nada.

CARX
If CaRktr > 6.78 Then ON 
If CaRktr < 6.75 Then OFF 
If pH < 7.89 Then OFF 

AlkDsr
If Time 04:30 to 04:35 Then ON 
If Time 05:30 to 05:35 Then ON 
If Time 06:30 to 06:35 Then ON 
If Time 07:30 to 07:35 Then ON 
If Time 08:30 to 08:35 Then ON 

EDIT:  ....I do have to add, i been seeing "explosive" growth on the acro's and chalices.... so its most probably eating up the alk... buy why in such an odd ratio? CARX media mebbe?

6 hours ago, jolt said:

Seems like you could check the media (possibly getting too low), or increase the drip rate on the effluent?

tried, mg/ca go up, alk not so much.

tested lastnight around the time i always do my testing....
hanna- 6.5  (reagent exp 4/17)
redsea- 8.5 (reagent exp 9/17)
API- 8 (w/ a small tint of blue... so 8.5ish.  reagent exp 8/19)

i've never had the hanna be the outlier.. its weird.  did a water change overnight, guess ill test again today!

On 7/13/2018 at 11:55 PM, Isaac said:

on 7/21, my tank turns 4 :)

I gave my tank a fresh CARX media change for its b-day.  been having dropping alk problems lately, last carx change was 1/15 (i mark level/date w/ grease marker).  I use arm coarse, the 75-90% of stuff i pulled out was smaller than the neomag.... so i think i found my alk prob.   tons of silt too.  guess i have to watch alk daily this week.

• Like 1

I gave my tank a fresh CARX media change for its b-day.  been having dropping alk problems lately, last carx change was 1/15 (i mark level/date w/ grease marker).  I use arm coarse, the 75-90% of stuff i pulled out was smaller than the neomag.... so i think i found my alk prob.   tons of silt too.  guess i have to watch alk daily this week.

Happy bday! [emoji245][emoji886][emoji225][emoji226][emoji223]🦑

motorsnorkle finally had a sale last week.  my generator is now tri-fuel w/ natural gas! woohoo.

tapped into the 3/4" line i ran for the grill...
20180724_173822 (Medium).jpg

lined up perfectly....
20180724_173946 (Medium).jpg

and the test run today...
20180725_185008 (Medium).jpg

I might be willing to house an emergency tank on extended outages in trade for some frags :)

• Like 1

so alk still drops a bunch during the day even w/ new reactor media.  had to turn on dosing overnight to compensate.  guess my livestock has come to push the limits of my reactor.  I cant up the effluent or lower the ph, because my ca/mg are already elevated compared to alk.  blah.

heres my night every 8 nights:

20180730_211532 (Medium).jpg

so alk still drops a bunch during the day even w/ new reactor media.  had to turn on dosing overnight to compensate.  guess my livestock has come to push the limits of my reactor.  I cant up the effluent or lower the ph, because my ca/mg are already elevated compared to alk.  blah.

heres my night every 8 nights:
1260131381_20180730_211532(Medium).thumb.jpg.56bb2a90bb63f6157227ab40580ec208.jpg

Do you do Reef roids and Reef chili every night along with the food? And I know I’ve asked this before, but you know me... do you refreeze all that?

i measure out 8-days worth of supplements, split it evenly.  then each bottle gets 3 tinyspoons of roids and 3 tiny spoons of chili.  after the supplements are added to the bottles, i top it off w/ about 5ml Ro to get me to the 110ml mark.  stick em in the fridge.

daily around 5:30, i shake one up, pour half in the tank.  around 9:30 the other half.  first post has my complete recipe/amounts :)

• Like 2