Paranoid dipping?

Seems like letting the tank sit coralless for about 3 weeks would be a safe bet. Especially since you don't have any confirmed sightings of AEFW in your tank and this is all preventative measures to insure a pest free tank. If you had any "large" specimens in your tank, you would probably see the evidence on your corals right now.

A few rounds of dipping over a 3 week period with the display tank SPS free would leave me confident beyond a reasonable doubt that the tank was pest free.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like letting the tank sit coralless for about 3 weeks would be a safe bet. Especially since you don't have any confirmed sightings of AEFW in your tank and this is all preventative measures to insure a pest free tank. If you had any "large" specimens in your tank, you would probably see the evidence on your corals right now.

A few rounds of dipping over a 3 week period with the display tank SPS free would leave me confident beyond a reasonable doubt that the tank was pest free.

Agreed!

Thanks for the link to Kate's work Jolt!

I kept seeing these little white pods on some of my acros. Not sure if they were commensual or not but I nuked them nonetheless. Oddly, they were only on some acros but not all. They didn't seem to affect polyp extension or growth in the acros that had them.

Just what I mentioned above. I found these white little pods on about 3-4 colonies, and only those oddly. They weren't on any other pieces. They didn't seem to cause any physical reactions from the acros such as reduced polyp extension or STN but I nuked them all anyways just in case.

I forgot to mention, I put two frags, one tabling acro that was super healthy and encrusted the entire plug already and a small piece of ORA hawkins echinata in a small cup with all three dip solutions in it and left it for 2.5 hrs.

Both were understandably a little ticked off but both survived just fine. I'm not sure I trust that to do to my colonies yet but a few more tests might convince me of it. I wish I had a piece of acro that was infected with red bugs, AEFW, and black bugs so I can see if the triple dip is just as effective combined.

Who's ready for the FarmerTy all-in-one-triple-dip-of-death? Coming to a store near you!

What's SDS is required on the All-In-One-Triple-Dip-Of-Death? I feel like that safety placard on that thing is going to look terrifying.

Here's what I'm going to put on the bottle. It'll kill all... but look cute while doing it.

f670b46acadfc29f3d15474b08edaced.jpg

I'm getting good growth in the acro tub surprisingly and things haven't lost color... actually, some are coloring up even more. #tublife

I'm planning to leave the DT empty until the weekend before the January meeting at my house. I think that'll be ample time to starve out any pests if there were any in the tank.

I only have one last dip this week to end my 3 weeks of dipping but I've decided to continue the interceptor/potassium dip every week until they go back in the display. Might as well since they are all sitting there and easy to reach and dip.

I'm still looking for an AEFW-infested piece of coral if anybody has one. I want to see if the potassium/interceptor dip is just as potent as the Bayer. I would love it to be as the Bayer requires so much more work and safety preparation... not to mention the dipping my hands in toxic materials. I see just as much pod, snail, and brittlestar die off in both solutions so I'm hoping it's just as effective on AEFW but without all the extra work and safety precautions.

If someone has one, I'll be discreet if you would like. I'll even trade you for a nice, shiney, triple-dipped piece of acro for your infested piece. [emoji4]

If only you had done this months ago when I had AEFW, sea spiders from hell, and pyramid snails all at once. That would have been the ultimate test. Now of course I have no pests, which in a weird way I'm disappointed in since I can't experiment with you now doh.gif #mixedfeelings

I'm getting good growth in the acro tub surprisingly and things haven't lost color... actually, some are coloring up even more. #tublife

I'm planning to leave the DT empty until the weekend before the January meeting at my house. I think that'll be ample time to starve out any pests if there were any in the tank.

I only have one last dip this week to end my 3 weeks of dipping but I've decided to continue the interceptor/potassium dip every week until they go back in the display. Might as well since they are all sitting there and easy to reach and dip.

I'm still looking for an AEFW-infested piece of coral if anybody has one. I want to see if the potassium/interceptor dip is just as potent as the Bayer. I would love it to be as the Bayer requires so much more work and safety preparation... not to mention the dipping my hands in toxic materials. I see just as much pod, snail, and brittlestar die off in both solutions so I'm hoping it's just as effective on AEFW but without all the extra work and safety precautions.

If someone has one, I'll be discreet if you would like. I'll even trade you for a nice, shiney, triple-dipped piece of acro for your infested piece. [emoji4]

Archived