Paranoid dipping?

Ty,

I'll dip you corals for $20

A piece :). Colony's are $20 a branch or per square inch of plate. Please bring me your birdsnest :)

Yowzers! You must think I'm the most successful agent ever!

In my book your aces!!!!

I'm glad to hear everything went well. Soooooo did you spot anything?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kept seeing these little white pods on some of my acros. Not sure if they were commensual or not but I nuked them nonetheless. Oddly, they were only on some acros but not all. They didn't seem to affect polyp extension or growth in the acros that had them.

I want to run a few test acros on a combo dip, with all 3 dips in one solution and see if it'll work together and save some time. I'll be doing this one outside in a small cup just in case there is some weird chemical interaction that releases a poisonous gas or something. Yes, I'm paranoid. Look at the title of this thread if you had doubts.

Jolt, since its standard Bayer insecticide that I would normally spray around my house anyways for bugs, I just dispose of it along the edges of my house. 2 for 1 I say.

I kept seeing these little white pods on some of my acros. Not sure if they were commensual or not but I nuked them nonetheless. Oddly, they were only on some acros but not all. They didn't seem to affect polyp extension or growth in the acros that had them.

I want to run a few test acros on a combo dip, with all 3 dips in one solution and see if it'll work together and save some time. I'll be doing this one outside in a small cup just in case there is some weird chemical interaction that releases a poisonous gas or something. Yes, I'm paranoid. Look at the title of this thread if you had doubts.

Jolt, since its standard Bayer insecticide that I would normally spray around my house anyways for bugs, I just dispose of it along the edges of my house. 2 for 1 I say.

And now no plants will grow because of all the salt in the ground.

Man, 2 teaspoons per gallon? The thread I read was a spoonfull per liter! I'm surprised my corals survived my dip haha

Man, 2 teaspoons per gallon? The thread I read was a spoonfull per liter! I'm surprised my corals survived my dip haha

We're talking St Augustine grass here. It doesn't mind the salt. Plus, I don't do water changes so it's not like this happens every two weeks.

Jeez, didn't I tell you 1 teaspoon per half gallon? At least you found a higher tolerance level we can bank on. How long did you dip for?

We're talking St Augustine grass here. It doesn't mind the salt. Plus, I don't do water changes so it's not like this happens every two weeks.

Jeez, didn't I tell you 1 teaspoon per half gallon? At least you found a higher tolerance level we can bank on. How long did you dip for?

About 30 minutes. Everything has survived except your echinata, which looks pretty much gone this morning bye.gif

Although I think it porbably died from the temperature dip when my heater died, or a combination of stressors

Not my echinata! You're banned for 3 months sir from all frags until I get a written letter from your current population of frags about how well you've been treating them!

I'm half-tempted to anonymously report you to the APS (acropora protective services)!

Not my echinata! You're banned for 3 months sir from all frags until I get a written letter from your current population of frags about how well you've been treating them!

I'm half-tempted to anonymously report you to the APS (acropora protective services)!

Psh, brotha please. You think I can escape a tank tear down, Bayer and KCl dips, changing of water chemistry, flow, light intensity, and an 8 degree temperature swing from a busted heater without a single casualty? I think the tips of the echinata bleaching is a pretty darn good survival rate all things considered.

I'm starting to think if I'm doing these dips anyways, to have all my acros sitting in a QT tank after each dip. That way, if there is anything I'm missing and there are actually AEFW swimming around in my DT (it's been observed that they can/will swim the water column after just hatching), I can starve them out and eliminate any chances of the dreaded AEFW.

I'm contemplating running a tub beside my tank, throwing all my acros in it, running tankwater into it and letting it drain back into my sump. On the drain back to my tub, have my overpowered UV on it so that it'll kill any waterborne AEFW larvae that may be going through there, as they only swim the water column when first born. This is helpful because the larvae will be small enough to be irradiated by the UV.

That'll allow me to keep stable parameters for the last 2 dips and leave the tank "fallow" for up to 3 weeks to let any potential stragglers in the DT to starve to death as they will die with 5-7 days without a host.

Now to get a tub, or maybe get my tub back. Ol' Aggie, I'm coming for you!

I thought I read a study where the worms live up to 34 days without food. Did you see that on R2R, it was the Lasers in-tank-treatment thread referring to what sounded like a somewhat scientific study? Am I confused?

I thought I read a study where the worms live up to 34 days without food. Did you see that on R2R, it was the Lasers in-tank-treatment thread referring to what sounded like a somewhat scientific study? Am I confused?

Oh dang it, I'll have to do more research!

Archived