Paranoid dipping?

Now that I've pretty much finalized my SPS stocklist and don't intend to add any more from this point, I was thinking of doing one last grandiose dip, one dip to rule them all as they might say in Moardor. I was going to do Bayer, followed by interceptor, followed by a potassium dip, and then back in the tank they go.

Am I just being paranoid here? I'm open to pleads for sanity. [emoji41]

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about your sanity, but it makes me really confident in future acquisitions of FarmerTy frags. On the other hand, I'm having a hard time believing you are really 'done'. Just sayin ...

I don't believe you for a second you are done with adding SPS! Just so I understand, are you planning on removing and dipping the current pieces in your tank? Unless you see evidence of pests that seems like lots of unnecessary risk and possible stress to the corals.

Just building off of past experience here. Even when my previous tank was considered parasite free and in growth mode, I found AEFW down the line. The corals all look as happy as my current ones but you'll never see evidence of an unhappy coral until they reach plague proportions.

So, I asked myself, why not just give a good solid final dip before securing all the acros to their final spots? It will also give me an opportunity to remove some montis that I'm not wanting on the main base rocks anymore. I only have about 2-3 acro colonies that have actually encrusted so removal and reglue would be pretty simple.

I hear you guys on the "last acros" to put into the system but I am seriously out of room and don't have places to put any new ones anywhere anyways. In fact, I'll probably have to get rid of some.

I'll probably be more open to setting up a QT after this final dip and QT any new acro frags coming in and be even more diligent for new introductions than just my bayer dip and search for eggs like I usually do.

He's not done. He's gonna get rid of that Green Birds Nest and Stylo, and add like 8 more pieces

Aww dang, Juiceman got me. Perhaps I'll sell off the screaming green birdsnest first and THEN acquire a few more colonies and then do a final dip! [emoji4]

spiteful.gif

He's not done. He's gonna get rid of that Green Birds Nest and Stylo, and add like 8 more pieces

Aww dang, Juiceman got me. Perhaps I'll sell off the screaming green birdsnest first and THEN acquire a few more colonies and then do a final dip! [emoji4]

Hey man I got dibbs on the birdsnest and or purple stylo. I love the frags I got from you but I want no NEED those mother colonies! spiteful.gif

You can always do Armageddon style dips on the whole tank, but if there are rogue populations of AEFW just chilling out in hiding, I imagine pulling the corals off the rocks and dipping them and placing them back on the rocks may not accomplish this goal. What if a few eggs were on a rock at the base of a coral? I think when I was dipping when I had AEFW, I dipped a few whole rocks and only left the base rock alone. I also bombed the tank with Lugols and then Mg, both of which seemed to kill certain micro-fauna. I imagine if any AEFW were left after the Bayer dips, the reason I haven't seen them since is the Lugols and Mg probably wiped them out.

Unfortunately I didn't have any flatworms to observe while dosing Lugol's and MG, but since the Lugol's did a good job of killing sea spiders and Mg killed off all my sea stars, snails, xenia, and stunned my cucumber, then I imagine it would have killed off the flatworms too. I'm sure someone out there has tested Lugol's and Mg on AEFW, but I'm not 100% sure.

spiteful.gif

Hey man I got dibbs on the birdsnest and or purple stylo. I love the frags I got from you but I want no NEED those mother colonies! spiteful.gif

Oh jeez, I don't know if anybody really wants the mother colonies as a whole! They're ginormous! That birdsnest alone is about 12" x 14".

You can always do Armageddon style dips on the whole tank, but if there are rogue populations of AEFW just chilling out in hiding, I imagine pulling the corals off the rocks and dipping them and placing them back on the rocks may not accomplish this goal. What if a few eggs were on a rock at the base of a coral? I think when I was dipping when I had AEFW, I dipped a few whole rocks and only left the base rock alone. I also bombed the tank with Lugols and then Mg, both of which seemed to kill certain micro-fauna. I imagine if any AEFW were left after the Bayer dips, the reason I haven't seen them since is the Lugols and Mg probably wiped them out.

Unfortunately I didn't have any flatworms to observe while dosing Lugol's and MG, but since the Lugol's did a good job of killing sea spiders and Mg killed off all my sea stars, snails, xenia, and stunned my cucumber, then I imagine it would have killed off the flatworms too. I'm sure someone out there has tested Lugol's and Mg on AEFW, but I'm not 100% sure.

If I had AEFW, I'd definitely go for a more aggressive approach. This is more of a prophylactic, Ty likes to sleep soundly at night so he triple dipped all his acros, dip. I'd highly be surprised if AEFW had any adverse reaction to Iodine (lugols) else any of the iodine based dips would have worked by now and people wouldn't have to resort to using Bayer. Mg is up in the air but I'd honestly be surprised if it had any effect. I also like the idea of telling you you're crazy so factor that in. [emoji12]

Yeah I'm not sure how Lugol's killed off the sea spiders, but it did have to be in pretty high concentrations to do so. Mg might at the 2,000+ ppm range, since it affected all my micro critters. It might be easier to find someone who has flatworms and test it on them just as a preliminary case study.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm more a fan of in-situ treatment when you have SO many colonies and so many of them are large and established. I mean, I'll be happy to take any of your broken branches off your hand for a small, small fee! I'm just thinking from a lazy mans perspective.

I'm more a fan of in-situ treatment when you have SO many colonies and so many of them are large and established. I mean, I'll be happy to take any of your broken branches off your hand for a small, small fee! I'm just thinking from a lazy mans perspective.

There is no in-situ for AEFW so that really takes that out of the equation. Luckily at least, interceptor does knock out red bugs and black bugs and can be run in-situ at the loss of your pods and any crabs or shrimp you may have.

Most of my colonies are actually not encrusted so removal and replacement will cost me under $40 in superglue and 2-part epoxy. What I do break I'll have my usual sandbed treasures sale and pay for the epoxy and superglue! Win win! [emoji4]

Archived