Encrusting on bottles, SPS suggestions?

So I remember reading this article a while back: http://reefbuilders.com/2015/08/20/archives-live-bottles-reborn-aquacultured-art-atlantic-reef-aquaculture/

And I just happened to see some blue bottles on ebay a few weeks ago for a few bucks so I grabbed them.

IMAG3286%20(Medium).jpg

I'm wanting to put something fairly easy for SPS that encrusts really well. What do you all think would be good easier SPS that encrust really well. I think something like a ponape birdsnest would look great, but seriatopora are horrible at encrusting in my experience.

A bright setosa or red or yellow'ish millipora might look really cool against the blue.

Other thoughts were a horrida or nasuta like a tyree pink lemonade, which I think would be amazing, but they're way more difficult.

Red planet?

That might be a good one. Might have to figure out how to get the bottle somehow above the sandbed, but I could see a table acro being really cool.

This concept is making me consider trying my hand at sps once I get going again.

Yeah I had forgotten about it for a long time, and just sort of clicked when I saw one of these bright blue bottles on ebay. Not really often when you find really unique but not completely unusable or gaudy ways to scape a reef tank.

What about attaching a bottle to the back wall with silicone or epoxy, that would get you high enough for the more light entensive sps and might also get some of the more skiddish fish off the sand bed.

What about attaching a bottle to the back wall with silicone or epoxy, that would get you high enough for the more light entensive sps and might also get some of the more skiddish fish off the sand bed.

That could work. I could also possibly try a larger one and lean it into the corner. A tabling acro would grow up slightly and then horizontally across the tank which would be really cool. Might take up more space than I currently have.

That could work. I could also possibly try a larger one and lean it into the corner. A tabling acro would grow up slightly and then horizontally across the tank which would be really cool. Might take up more space than I currently have.
Nothing says you could not also cut a bottle in half (perhaps at some tasteful angle) and then adhere it to the back wall so that you don't have an entire bottle sticking out of the wall.

Lead, Cadmium and Cobalt (Pb, Cd, and Co) all can leach from glass in high pH solutions. I would make sure this glass is food grade and contains none of the afore mentioned.

That one's going to be tough. I did get the same brand that the article was using, but they're all pretty old. Maybe I'll setup a QT with some sacrificial coral to make sure there isn't any negative effect from it.

If it were me, I wouldn't risk it with the cobalt glass. But my reef risk aversion is pretty high. That being said, i'd be much more worried about metals (specifically cobalt) leaching at low pH's than high pH's. To prep samples for metals analysis (cations if you want to get specific), you add acid to your sample. Why? Because it breaks up all of the compounds into their constituent elements so that the instrument can accurately measure their concentration. I wouldn't be too worried about cadmium or lead either, just cobalt.

Can't you find yourself a nice sterile glass beaker to use ? :)

Archived