BornToHula's 240 Gallon Build

BornToHula

Thanks! I agree,detritus is a bit of an issue with caves. The cave on my 75g collects detritus as well, but the fish love swimming in it so much I think its worth it.

I do need to make sure the sand vacuum will reach in there to keep it somewhat tidy.

I think it's totally worth it for the fish and for me at least, detritus isn't really the enemy in any tank that has a good oversized skimmer and methods in place to remove nitrates and phosphates.

I haven't removed detritus manually (besides what gets sucked up in my skimmer) for 3 years in my old 125-gallon. There was literally 1/2" to 1" of detritus in my sump! In my new 215-gallon, the same thing, about 3 years now, no detritus removal ever manually, and things aren't blowing up for me. Just adding my experience with it.

I've never been too worried on detritus in the sump, I don't like looking at it in the display though. Maybe one day I can get my tank running well enough without water changes, but I plan on needing to for for the foreseeable future. I may as well be able to vacuum the sand.

• Like 1

Got a picture to describe what you're talking about? All my bulkheads have been threaded so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Seeing a picture would help me... Well... Picture it. [emoji16]

What, you can't read my mind to know what I am talking about?!

I was talking about where the red arrows are in the picture below. I can't think of a reason why those connections would need to be 100% water tight, but then again, I can't really think of a reason to not glue them in. They are slip bulkheads by the way.

I'm probably over thinking thingshuh.png

3sM1HeT.jpg

Leak test has been successful! No leaks except for a bad O-Ring that was an easy fix.

Turns out on the bean animal drain, the main siphon drain pipe can only be under the waterline in the sump by half an inch or the siphon will not start. Works like a charm now.

The next issue I need to fix is the water noise coming from the filter sock area. The filter sock holder I made from acrylic doesn't quite fit right so a lot of the water goes down the sides instead of through the socks.

ca4nI4x.gif

• 2 weeks later...

In the past I have only done a 21 day quarantine to visually inspect the fish before transferring into the display tank. I never found any signs of anything so no medication was ever used. This time around I want to be a little more proactive and pre-treat for Ich and other parasites.

What I have planned:

Prazi Pro treatment first (5-7 days)

Large water change/ Run carbon for 2 days

New Life Spectrum Ich Shield Powder treatment (21 days)

Visual inspection for a day or two and if it looks good into the tank they go.

Any comments or suggestions on this procedure?

In the past I have only done a 21 day quarantine to visually inspect the fish before transferring into the display tank. I never found any signs of anything so no medication was ever used. This time around I want to be a little more proactive and pre-treat for Ich and other parasites.

What I have planned:

Prazi Pro treatment first (5-7 days)

Large water change/ Run carbon for 2 days

New Life Spectrum Ich Shield Powder treatment (21 days)

Visual inspection for a day or two and if it looks good into the tank they go.

Any comments or suggestions on this procedure?

There seems nothing wrong with that method. Personally, I like doing the tank transfer method (TTM) for ich, while dosing prazipro on the 2nd and 4th transfers. The hidden benefit of TTM is not really having to worry about ammonia, probably the number one killer of fish in QT. You change the water every 72 hrs hrs so it doesn't have enough time to get toxic in the QT unless you have a substantial amount of livestock.

One thing I thought of is possibly extending the visual inspection to a week or two. If your CP levels dropped at all while running the ich powder, you could have allowed ich to survive the treatment. Once removed from the CP, if any survive, giving the fish 1-2 weeks without medication allows you to see if it was masked by the medication and perhaps reappear.

Well I have decided that I don't like ordering fish online and this will likely be the last time I do so. It's too stressful waiting for UPS when they miss their morning delivery time and you have to be in the office during the afternoon. thumbsdown.gif

One thing I thought of is possibly extending the visual inspection to a week or two. If your CP levels dropped at all while running the ich powder, you could have allowed ich to survive the treatment. Once removed from the CP, if any survive, giving the fish 1-2 weeks without medication allows you to see if it was masked by the medication and perhaps reappear.

Good idea on extending the visual inspection period. While I have the equipment, I don't think I am going to do the tank transfer method unless I see ich is present. My Quarantine tanks are 40g and 36g so that will be a lot of saltwater being used.

First round of fish are in from the Diver's Den and in quarantine! The Blenny is hiding behind the marinepure blocks but you can see his head poking out.

fTYzeRo.jpg

czUHKHS.jpg

I have been trying to get the fish eating and have fed very small quantities of NLS pellets, mysis, brine shrimp, spirulina flakes and nori sheets.

The Blenny has eating everything I've fed except the nori.

The Anthias have eaten mysis and brine shrimp.

The Lemonpeel hasn't eaten anything yet hmm.png

I have some mussels I will try next for the Lemonpeel. He's an active bugger so he is bound to be hungry.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When I did the leak test with tap water everything was working perfectly.

Now that I filled the tank up with saltwater..... a return line bulkhead has a major leak! mad.gif

Going to have to find a 1 inch bulkhead and do some emergency plumping fast!

Better now than with livestock in it!

True!

I had to order the bulkheads online, it appears I am the odd man out in needing slip bulkheads which no one carries. My return lines don't have room to turn for threaded. Also, for some reason my 1" check valve uses a non-standard union size doh.gif. Have to order that too.

Hopefully as long as the water is kept circulating it will be fine until the replacement parts come in.

I'd make a terrible plumber. doh.gif

I don't think I actually need a check valve, I have a ball valve right next to it. If I need to stop all the water flow I can just turn the valve. I think I can make a threaded bulkhead work now, just have to change my plumbing around a little bit.

• Like 1