BornToHula's 240 Gallon Build

BornToHula

Yeah, it's pretty normal to have some exposed thread. You might even use some teflon tape to be safe.

Did you get in on the Halloween sales for the other fixture?

Ok cool. I will be using the tape or paste on the threads to be sure there are no leaks.

Yep, bought the second ATI fixture during the halloween sale from premium aquatics. No word on when its going to ship from ATI yet.

My guess is that the threads are just extra long but make sure they are not cross threaded because that is pretty easy with plastic fittings. If they are to long you can always take a saw or Dremel and cut the extra threads off the bottom.

Thanks, I will probably saw the ends off the adapters to give a better looking fit.

Believe it or not, teflon tape is not recommended for plastic to plastic threaded fittings. I came as a shock to me when I heard that.

A little silicone on the threads while sealing it should do the trick usually. You can buy a small tube for $3-$4 usually.

In other news I was browsing reefcentral today and saw that the Vectra returns pumps aren't compatible with the Apex WXM module thumbsdown.gif . That was the major reasons I went with it, I assumed that all the Ecotech stuff always works with Apex. Guess not.

I was really looking forward to having the Vectra go into feed mode when I use the Apex automatic feeder so all the food doesn't go down the overflow. I don't see any other pumps that will do this either, so I guess I will stick with the Vectra. Everything else about it seems good.

In other news I was browsing reefcentral today and saw that the Vectra returns pumps aren't compatible with the Apex WXM module thumbsdown.gif . That was the major reasons I went with it, I assumed that all the Ecotech stuff always works with Apex. Guess not.

I was really looking forward to having the Vectra go into feed mode when I use the Apex automatic feeder so all the food doesn't go down the overflow. I don't see any other pumps that will do this either, so I guess I will stick with the Vectra. Everything else about it seems good.

At MACNA Ecotech was asked about this and they replied that WXM support would eventually be there.

I hope so!

The people at Apex quoted in the reefcentral thread didn't seem too hopeful. After doing some internet snooping I saw that Apex announced a return pump recently, and considering they just released their own powerheads I'm sure Ecotech isn't too happy Apex is entering their markets.

I hope so!

The people at Apex quoted in the reefcentral thread didn't seem too hopeful. After doing some internet snooping I saw that Apex announced a return pump recently, and considering they just released their own powerheads I'm sure Ecotech isn't too happy Apex is entering their markets.

So how do you connect it to the apex then? It has a controller similar to the MP's so shouldn't it work like they do?!

So how do you connect it to the apex then? It has a controller similar to the MP's so shouldn't it work like they do?!

You don't, for the time being at least. The Vectras do have a similar controller to the Vortechs, which is why I assumed it would hook right up to the Apex WXM module. Apparently Ecotech changed something internally so it does not connect.

I will probably end up keeping it, but the though has passed my mind to return it and get something like this Waveline: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dc12000-a-waveline-apex-ready-dc-variable-speed-pump.html

I'm cheap and like things to play nicely with my Apex. I'd return it in a heartbeat. That's nice that it has all the fancy features, being a "smart" return pump and all. To me, I just need something that moves water from my sump to my DT, doesn't cost as much as my controller running my whole tank, and is reliable.

I bought the Jaebo DCS12000, pushes the same flow as the waveline, $120 cheaper than the waveline, and can hook it up to my Apex with a modified cable. Reliability is always going to be the question on these units but I've had good success so far with their powerheads. Sure, I've had a couple go out on me but replacement is cheap enough on those units that with pumps 4-5x the cost as the alternative, I win out even with replacing them. The price difference is not as great with the return pumps but I'm willing to hedge my bets on this one.

And honestly, to me, buying the waveline is just as much of a gamble as buying a Jaebo. I do put the Vectra in the higher quality pump category but that's just me giving it some credibility just because of the manufacturer than really to its actual results of longevity, since it just came out. Just my 2 cents as always.

Perhaps you are right. I don't need the special features at all, its just fun having the latest gadgets to play with! I definitely should have done more research on the Vectra to see it wasn't apex ready before pulling the trigger and ordering it though.

I think that Jaebo is the exact same pump as the Waveline with different stickers on it. Good call on going with the Jaebo as its much cheaper.

Unfortunately I did open the Vectra box to look at it so hopefully BRS will still accept its return.

I'll tell you what, I bet my face had the same expression of excitement when I opened the Jaebo DC pump then if I opened the Vectra pump. My joyous opening of new toys knows no dollar value. Haha. It's just happy I got something new to play with.

Now that joy may turn into a frown if it breaks down quickly but what's a guy to do? [emoji41]

• 2 weeks later...

Electrician just left, I now have two dedicated 20 amp circuits with GFCI for the tank!

The tank is in at the store too, just waiting on delivery! dribble.gif

If you don't mind my asking how much did the electrical work run you (ballpark) ?

I need to do the same thing in the near future.

Electrician just left, I now have two dedicated 20 amp circuits with GFCI for the tank!

If it's the tank I saw at RCA, then it looks awesome! If there are a couple of unidentified fingerprints on the left glass pane... it wasn't me. [emoji6]

If you don't mind my asking how much did the electrical work run you (ballpark) ?

I need to do the same thing in the near future.

I can't really help you in regards to pricing. I'm in the home building business and used the same electrician that does the work on all the homes we build.

That being said its a really quick job if you have room for the circuits already and the drops are simple (not on an exterior, or extra high wall). Mine took less than an hour to complete and parts are probably around $100 or so.

• Like 1

If it's the tank I saw at RCA, then it looks awesome! If there are a couple of unidentified fingerprints on the left glass pane... it wasn't me. [emoji6]

Hey no touching!! grin.png

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turned out! Did you order the full package with stand and canopy?

Yes, I got a stand and canopy made to go with the tank. I haven't seen them yet, but I'll be sure to post lots of pictures when I do!

Also, ordering the stand with the tank gives the tank a 7 year warranty which is why, along with time constraints, I ordered the stand instead of making it myself.

Tank looks amazing! Now get it wet already! snack.gif

Thanks! The goal is to have it wet before Christmas.

Wow!

crab.gif

Nice. Brenner build the stand too? How tall is the canopy?

The stand and canopy are from Costal, they are basically Planet Aquariums' in house stand builder. Its 1 foot tall. I'm going to have to do a few modifications to fit the lights under it.

• Like 2

I will be starting to build the baffles of my sump soon, does anyone have recommendations for a glass company in town that has 1/4 inch glass and can do some cuts?

I will be building a filter sock system similar to the one shown here and I don't think the bond using acrylic on glass will be sturdy enough to support this (ignore the rest of the sump, my layout will be different) :

gY8PuVr.jpg

The dogs approve the tank as well!

l0phNjE.jpg