BornToHula's 240 Gallon Build

BornToHula

He didn't make the night.  For the female, she is looking healthy and eating normally. Tonight will complete the 4 doses of furan 2, and be 96 hours with the Kana and Metro. Tonight I think I will do a large water change (90-95%) and run carbon on it to remove the antibiotics and just do a Prazi treatment with no antibiotics.

So far all the other fish in the main tank are looking fine and acting normally.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Things have been going well overall for my tank.  A few things I will need to address:

1) Aiptasia have started popping up. I found one huge one (at least a couple inches across) and 2 tiny ones so far.  The huge one is in one of the worst possible places to get to. I'll have to remove my light fixture to try and Aiptasia-X it.  The last time I added anything to the tank was in November last year, so no idea where these guys came from. I guess they can lay dormant for awhile.  Is it bad to just rip them out with tweezers?

2) A few of my bubble tip anemones have moved to where they are hitting some coral.  I will have to find a way to remove them.  I'd like to end up with just 1 red and 1 green left in the tank.

3) Vermetid snails have grown pretty much everywhere.  They arn't harming anything yet, just a visual nuisance.  Kinda disappointing they have spread so much, considering I was aggressively going after any I saw pop up.  I wonder if the way I broadcast feed is contributing to their spread - I have been just melting a few cubes and then pouring them in without turning any pumps off or anything.

Other than that, coral growth has been good and fish seem to be very healthy.

7k2VN65.jpg YBhWMvR.jpg 1DzXK9l.jpg ygIdyCT.jpg

Looks great sir! Tank is really hitting its stride!

For aiptasia, I've never had to fight them but something tells me you'll thank yourself if you take the rock out and chip them entirely off the rock and not mess around. 3 can become hundreds easily.

For the BTAs, looks like you have a Sherman. They are relentless splitters and are known for it. Maybe get a rainbow bta instead? Not sure about the green ones but I'd imagine prolific splitters as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Looks great sir! Tank is really hitting its stride!

For aiptasia, I've never had to fight them but something tells me you'll thank yourself if you take the rock out and chip them entirely off the rock and not mess around. 3 can become hundreds easily.

For the BTAs, looks like you have a Sherman. They are relentless splitters and are known for it. Maybe get a rainbow bta instead? Not sure about the green ones but I'd imagine prolific splitters as well.

Thanks - its amazing how enjoyable a reef tank is when you are not dealing with some unwanted outbreak thats killing everything!

Unfortunately to remove the rock with the big aiptasia would mean tearing down the entire right side of my tank.  Its on a base rock at the very rear,  pretty much the worst possible spot (which is why it took so long for me to see him).   I think the best move will be to remove the lights & canopy so I can get a better look at him and hopefully give him a mouthfull of Aiptasia-X.  Aiptasia -X worked well for me several years ago in my 75 gallon, so maybe it will work this time too.  I'll need to act quick though.

27 minutes ago, jolt said:

Looking good!  I think removing aiptasia with tweezers might leave enough for them to regenerate?  Not sure ... 

Thanks!  Yeah probably so.  Wishful thinking...

• Like 1

Thanks!  Yeah probably so.  Wishful thinking...
I'll let you borrow my trusty hammer and flathead... My official in tank fragging tool... Comes with free rust... I mean GFO during each use. [emoji4]

Get them now or hire the shrimp hit squad later. They will spread. Its the 10 under the rocks you can t see that will cause problems.  Aptasia-X will work if you get them down the throat. Best to scrape them off then rinse with vinegar.

• Like 1

Awesome looking tank! Don't believe I've seen it before.

I never had success trying to pull or scrap them off rocks. They seemed to always come back. But a generous peppermint shrimp and some aiptasia-x for the big ones can keep them at bay.

Can't do shrimp in my tank - they end up being expensive feeder shrimp!  Between the melanurus wrasse and crosshatch trigger, shrimp are dead before they know what hits them.  If it ends up getting to that point I'll either have to get a file fish or copper banded butterfly.

20 hours ago, Dogfish said:

Get them now or hire the shrimp hit squad later. They will spread. Its the 10 under the rocks you can t see that will cause problems.  Aptasia-X will work if you get them down the throat. Best to scrape them off then rinse with vinegar.

I decided to go ahead and try to take care of of the aiptasia last night.

I ended up not having any Aiptasia-X left and made a kalk past to do the killing.  I used an old pointy syringe from a Salifert test kit to shoot the kalk paste into the mouth of the aiptasia. I had to do some reef tank twister but I managed to get the big one way in the back of my tank, along with the two other small ones that were easy to get to. 

Still no signs of them this morning but I'll keep checking up on them.  I'd be very surprised if I managed to kill all 3 on the first go.

15 hours ago, Reefpuck said:

Awesome looking tank! Don't believe I've seen it before.

I never had success trying to pull or scrap them off rocks. They seemed to always come back. But a generous peppermint shrimp and some aiptasia-x for the big ones can keep them at bay.

Thanks!  I tend to not be online as much these days, but I'm still working on my tank everyday and enjoy posting an update every once in awhile.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...