BornToHula's 240 Gallon Build

BornToHula

1 minute ago, Juiceman said:

Fresh carbon helped a lot when I had Dinos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesnt seem to be helping my situation too much. I've been replacing mine every few days. Just about have gone through an entire big container of it from BRS this month :hmm:

Doesnt seem to be helping my situation too much. I've been replacing mine every few days. Just about have gone through an entire big container of it from BRS this month :hmm:

Hmm.. do you have any form of carbon dosing? Vodka or bio pellets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Isaac said:

are you skimming any wetter than normal?  Mine went away on my biocube w/ more bioload, peroxide, more feeding, and wet skimmer.   seems like you are doing the opposite *lol*

:huh: Why do you think I am going opposite of what you did?  Did you see the last post on page 17?

More bioload: added two crosshatch triggers & a kato's wrasse. Will be adding 3 sunburst anthias and a midas blenny in the next couple days.  

More feeding: With the new livestock I went from feeding 6 cubes a day to 8.  I also have a autofeeder that goes off 4 times a day, dropping about half a teaspoon of pellets each time.  Also I just started dosing phytoplankton & added copepods yesterday.

Peroxide: Have been dosing peroxide for 3 weeks so far. Dosing 3ml per 10gal (about 75ml) each day with a dosing pump.

Wet Skimming: I generally keep my skimmer skimming wet, so it is not wetter than normal, but it would be considered a "wet skim".  After about a week the cup will be 1/3 to 1/2 full and needs to be emptied.

What I am doing differently than you is siphoning out the dinos (this is the only thing that has been helpful so far), added a UV filter, and running carbon.

Edited by BornToHula
pg 17

Started a 3 day lights out period today to see if it will help get rid of the dinos.  I did a large water change last night to remove as much of the dinos manually before the lights out.  

I also made an acclimation box this weekend. Don't want any smaller fish to get immediately eaten by the triggers!

a7j2yEI.jpg 

fWV9JQ2.jpg

• Like 1

3 days of blackout are over.  It looks like 95% of the dinos have died off.  I did a 40g water change this morning and will be doing anther 40g change this evening removing any remaining bits of the dinos.  Hopefully this, plus everything else I have been doing, is the knockout punch against the dinos! 

Really bad pic, but I got a Flameback Angelfish and Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse in today from Diver's Den.  The Flameback already looks awesome and has quite a lot of personality.

HyrS4IJ.jpg

• Like 3

I did a round of testing yesterday:

Alk: 9.1 dkh

Ca: 450 ppm

Mg: 1380 ppm

Phosphate: 0.16 ppm

Nitrate: Between 15 and 20 ppm

I've gone through a full bottle of peroxide with no effect so I think I will stop dosing it for now.  I'm still dosing phytoplankton - 3oz. daily.  

Not sure what else to do for now.  I'll probably monitor the dino growth for the next few days and see if it slows at all.  If not I will try some products like metroplex, chemiclean, or vibrant.

18 hours ago, jolt said:

Ugh, I hate dinos so much.   The new triggers look great in there though!

I definitely hate dinos too, probably the worse thing I've dealt with in regards to coral death/damage.  The triggers are awesome and have been a great addition to the tank!

akEDF3w.jpg

9 hours ago, JamesL said:

Ooo, the flareback will be a nice addition!  Saw one in my LFS the other day, and almost bought it.  Such striking blue lines.

Mines pretty awesome so far, I'm hoping he behaves well when he gets in the big tank.   He has lots of personality and is curious about everything - I can't manage to get a good picture of him though!

Pf1Y0it.jpg

• Like 1

Ty always told me to try an introduce something that will out compete the Dino's. Read on reef 2 reef a lot of people were using vibrant and complaining that it caused cyano. So I grabbed a bottle hoping to get cyano and I did. I let it kind of get out of hand for awhile to make sure it was smothering the Dino. I then turned around and used Chemi clean to get rid of the cyano, did a 50 gallon water change and things seem to be back on track again. Maybe it was a fluke or maybe it really worked.....

• Like 2

Ty always told me to try an introduce something that will out compete the Dino's. Read on reef 2 reef a lot of people were using vibrant and complaining that it caused cyano. So I grabbed a bottle hoping to get cyano and I did. I let it kind of get out of hand for awhile to make sure it was smothering the Dino. I then turned around and used Chemi clean to get rid of the cyano, did a 50 gallon water change and things seem to be back on track again. Maybe it was a fluke or maybe it really worked.....
Don't listen to me. I also told you life was like a box of chocolates! [emoji12]

Don't listen to me. I also told you life was like a box of chocolates! [emoji12]

But it worked.....[emoji57]
Just giving credit were credits due [emoji23] and
putting a disclaimer that it was your idea!!!!!! So proceed with caution haha!
  • Like 1

But it worked.....[emoji57]
Just giving credit were credits due [emoji23] and
putting a disclaimer that it was your idea!!!!!! So proceed with caution haha!
Ouch! I do enjoy my compliments with a side of bashing.

If it makes you feel any better Hula, I just started my own fight with dinos after reintroducing the fish. If I figure out any new ways to win, I'll let you know!
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jen_h said:

I ordered some vibrant yesterday, maybe I'll have some good luck like you!

6 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Ouch! I do enjoy my compliments with a side of bashing.

If it makes you feel any better Hula, I just started my own fight with dinos after reintroducing the fish. If I figure out any new ways to win, I'll let you know!

I'm sure you will get over the dinos quick and easy while I'll just be here scratching my head haha:P.

I've ordered some Vibrant to try out on mine since it doesn't seem like any "natural" solutions are going to work. I've tried vibrant before on the Chrystophytes with no effect, but maybe I'll have better luck on the dinos.

In the meantime I have been really cranking up the nitrate/phosphate dosing.  I figured since most of my corals are already trashed, why not see if it works. I'm up to ~40ppm nitrates and .21 ppm of phosphates.  Still dosing the phytoplankton as well.  Nothing else growing yet except for dinos :eusathink:.

• Like 1

So interesting thing... I am noticing sps starting to recover and grow back over some of the dead areas.  This is opposite of what I expected, I'm currently sitting between 40-65 ppm on nitrates (using the nyos kit it gets really hard to read 40-95) and 0.3 ppm on phosphate.  Wayyy above the recommended levels.  I figured my acros would all be toast at these levels, but they seem to be doing well.  

The dino growth seems to have slowed, but is definitely still growing.  I ordered some vibrant cleaner, but it still hasn't come in yet (I'm glad I paid $8 for shipping!:doh:). I'm debating on maybe doing another lights out period in the meantime.