BornToHula's 240 Gallon Build

BornToHula

Congrats on the new house! You know we're all jealous of that drain in your fish room, right?

First off, that magnet moving by itself was creepy... We all understand how its doing it but the angle of the shot and the creepy monotone and dark video made me feel like I was watching a horror movie when the magnet moved and you know all reefers are built with a fear of a algae so seeing it come off was terror inducing.

Joking aside, maybe look into Vibrant, some people swear by it and it may help your issue with this particular algae.

• 1 month later...

After 4 doses, vibrant doesn't appear to have an effect on this stuff.  Once the move is done I'm going to have to come up with a new game plan.

6mtRWjS.jpg

2rM73Fx.jpg

Speaking of moving, the tank should move to the new house sometime the week of the 20th! Here is some pics of the room the tank is going in and the room behind it.

8IRJ60j.jpg

CiHvDws.jpg

v0HtiZ0.jpg

n4GWUEU.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/10/2017 at 7:25 PM, ShawnM said:

Are you going to continue dosing vibrant and were you doing weekly or every other week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to continue until the bottle runs out, about two more doses.  I have been dosing weekly, but haven't noticed any effect.

In preparation for the move I built a stand that will hold two 40 gallon tanks.  The plan will be to put the coral and fish in these for a couple of days while the 240 is moved and set up again. All the other live rock with no corals will be put in a brute trash can.  If the tank move takes more than a couple days, I will need to make a stand for one of my powermodules to sit on to get the corals some light. Hopefully I can move quick enough not to need that though.

GzBTtr8.jpg

juGuJu2.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the tank moved to the new house last night.  If I ever have to move it again, I'm going to need to invest in some hydraulic dollys or something. My back can't take any more lifts like that :nopity:.

VC1bKAa.jpg

I have the livestock in the temporary tanks currently.  I more than likely wont be able to get the big tank running again for several more days, so I am going to have to look into setting up some temporary lighting for the corals.

4V3o0Iu.jpg

The only loss so far has been the pistol shrimp, which I have a feeling the melanurus wrasse thought looked like a good snack.  I probably should have made a better place for him to hide. 

I also got my water mixing station up and running.  Once the 240 is filled I'm going to pull the stand out a paint it with some waterproof paint. Just didn't have enough time to beforehand.

QJ2xwiP.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2016 at 9:43 PM, BornToHula said:

Northern Lights

I've searched but can't find any reference to this coral?  What is it specifically?  It's really beautiful.  Great build thread! I've been following along as I'll be making the jump to 240 OR 300 when we build out new home sometime this year.  

Edited by Wade

On 4/15/2017 at 7:09 PM, Wade said:

I've searched but can't find any reference to this coral?  What is it specifically?  It's really beautiful.  Great build thread! I've been following along as I'll be making the jump to 240 OR 300 when we build out new home sometime this year.  

Thanks! I'm really enjoying the 240 and excited to get things rolling again now that it has been moved.

I bought the Northern Lights from FarmerTy, I'm sure he knows the specifics of it. Its green at the base and the new growth is the light blue color.  Unfortunately it did not survive the move, I'll have to get another piece one of these days.

Tank is up and running at full speed.  Now that that's done, time for the fun to begin!:crab:

I have an extra 75 gallon tank sitting around that I am going to implement as a refugium in the fish room. I plan to put in some straight from ocean uncured live rock, growing macro algae, and possibly setting up a deep sand bed. Some thoughts on it...

• The refugium tank currently has a glass-holes overflow, but I don't like that there is only a single drain (no emergency drain). Even though it has worked for years, I have been thinking on doing a DIY overflow box and using a herbie overflow. Not sure if I am going to do this or just leave as is and use a leak detector as a backup. Probably be lazy and do the latter.
  • I've been going back and fourth on running a deep sand bed in the refugium.  Besides cost of the sand and being careful that I don't disturb the sand bed I don't see any negatives on running one.  Plus if it goes wrong I can shutoff flow to the refugium and remove the sand. 90% sure I am going to go this route unless anyone can give me a good reason not to.
  • I also want to grow macro algae in the refugium.  I have an BuildMyLed light that was made for freshwater planted tanks.  It can grow freshwater plants like crazy, so I hope it will work well as a refugium light.
  • Using dry-rock when I set up the tank left me with no pest, but also a severe lack of diversity in the tank.  That's why I am getting about 20 lbs of uncured live rock from KP aquatics. (https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/aquacultured-live-rock/)  While there is a higher risk of bad things coming in, I'm not going to hook up the refugium to the main tank until I'm reasonably sure there isn't too many bad things lurking in it.

Also this came in today! Cant wait to get it set up this weekend.

cO3nCri.jpg

2 hours ago, jolt said:

Never heard of kpaquatics  before,  but their site looks very interesting.  I'll be very curious to see what  comes in on your rock!

I hadn't either until I saw a few build threads of people using them on the nano-reefs forum. The rock looked great in all the builds.  Their website and facebook pages look legit so I figured I'll give them a try. Not having to pick up the rock at the airport is nice too.  I'll be sure to update when I get the rock, I'm probably a week or two out from ordering it.

On 3/29/2017 at 3:32 PM, BornToHula said:

Got the tank moved to the new house last night.  If I ever have to move it again, I'm going to need to invest in some hydraulic dollys or something. My back can't take any more lifts like that :nopity:.

VC1bKAa.jpg

I have the livestock in the temporary tanks currently.  I more than likely wont be able to get the big tank running again for several more days, so I am going to have to look into setting up some temporary lighting for the corals.

4V3o0Iu.jpg

The only loss so far has been the pistol shrimp, which I have a feeling the melanurus wrasse thought looked like a good snack.  I probably should have made a better place for him to hide. 

I also got my water mixing station up and running.  Once the 240 is filled I'm going to pull the stand out a paint it with some waterproof paint. Just didn't have enough time to beforehand.

QJ2xwiP.jpg

Where did you order these containers from?

The specs on TractorSupply,com state that they're not made of food grade plastic.  Should that be a concern or not really?

Can you post a link? The guy at tractor supply told me they could be used for long term drinking water and were food grade. I didn't check the specs online.

I've emailed the guys from KP a few times as they get in some nice gorgonians. Always been super helpful and responsive. I'm sure you'll get some nice LR

Tank looks great. I love the idea of a 75g fuge. Should be great for macro grow, pod proliferation and system stabilization

Found the specs online.  It doesn't say it is food grade, but It's made from Polyethylene which I believe is reef safe in the high density form. Maybe someone else can chime in with info.

Obviously I thought they are reef safe which is why I bought them. We have been using similar tanks for years for drinking water for cattle and quail we raise.

Edited by BornToHula