Looking for advice on a new return pump for 230g tank

mFrame

Howdy folks, as the title says I'm looking to replace my return pump. In addition to being about 8 years old it produces a lot of heat. It's a workhorse and hasn't caused me any problems but I'd like something new and shiny.

Currently I'm using an Mag pump (think it's a 9.5) on my 230g with dual overflows and returns.

So, what do you recommend? I've seen the new DC "adjustable" pumps, but don't need tons of bells and whistles. Focus on reasonable cost and great performance (low heat and noise)

I should also mention that the ability to have a pre-filter would be nice as well. Just pulled a ball of chaeto out of the intake of mine that somehow slipped through the system.

I've heard very good things about Octopus and Deepwater DC pumps. Have heard very bad things about jebao DC pumps, so there's a huge quality difference between mainstream and chinese knockoff brands.

Eheim hobby pumps are also pretty unbeatable for submersibles. They are quiet and last a really long time. I think the largest one is close to the flow of the mag.

If you don't have to have submersible, iwaki's are hard to beat and come in about the same price range as the good DC ones.

I'm looking into a DC pump myself and might replace my Sicce Syncra 12.0. I've had decent results with the Jaebo line of circulation pumps so far with one or two going out on me in the last 2-3 years. Not too bad for a pump that's almost 1/6 the price of a MP40.

I might be willing to try their DC return pump since it's going to be on it's 3rd iteration now... DC--->DCT--->DCS line.

Jaebo is also selling an aqua link controller. I'm also not sure what the aqua link controller is all about yet but it looks like you'll be able to control your DC pump speeds and allows you to link to your Apex. It also has a port for you to add a battery backup and has some ATO capabilities if you hook up their ATO sensor and a pump to it. Very interesting indeed.

For $230.00 for both the DCS12000 and aqua link controller, that sounds like a pretty good deal, assuming the return pump lasts more than 2-3 years. You could also get a Vectra for $450... and pray it also gives you back rubs and bakes cookies for you for that price. grin.png Obviously you can tell I'm a value shopper... I'm just hoping I don't get stuck with a trash pump in the end though... risk/reward factor there is always dicey.

Wow, guess I don't know how good I've had it with the Mag. I bought it used for about $60 and have been using it going on seven years.

I am looking for in-sump, no room outside for it. I'm leaning Eheim right now...

I've got the RODC5500 return pump and RODC5500s for the skimmer. They are extremely quiet, generate basically 0 heat, and run like champs. Both have 5 speeds, but I'm running them at full power all the time so meh. The soft start feature is actually quite handy. I also have a Jeabo for my salt mixing tank and it works decent, but generates some heat and is nowhere near as quiet as the RODC's. But it was like half the price so what can you expect.

Another quick note on the DC stuff, even running full power my RODCs only pull like 50 watts. It's really quite impressive the amount of water they move for that little energy.

Eheim is the way to go! I had one on my freshwater tank for about 5 years and then used it in my salt water tanks for about 2 more. It was working like new still when I sold it. They are great pumps with little heat and no sound. Only draw back to them is the size. I would check out the dimensions to it before you get it, they are kinda bulky. Only return I'd get tho, I wish they made little ones for my aio :P

Started out with an old used Eheim 1262. It was an old work horse and never had a problem with it, but it was bulky and produced a good amount of heat. They sell for around $165 these days and would last a good long time. But what you get in gph is what you get. No control and another AC line going into the water. Switched to Sicce pumps a little on the expensive side and was always having to shake to get running, clean etc...Nice and compact quiet and powerful pumps, but not really so dependable. Then I switched to Jabeo DCT 8000 second generation and so far so good. Very quiet powerful and so far dependable (6 months). I like the DC component and the fact it is variable speed and a feed mode. Also has a run dry stop feature and is controllable from APEX or DA. They run about $135 and are 2000+ gph. Been real happy so fr. Guess we will see. But you cant go wrong with the Eheim if you just want a plain old pack mule.

Mike I have been running a Mag18 and am considering a switch to just bc it is old and I want a spare. I am thinking about a Mag24 and using the 18 as the spare but have been holding off while thinking about the Jebao DC and waiting for longer term feedback on them. Good luck. Let us know what you choose and why. That is always interesting to hear...

I bit the bullet and preordered the Jaebo DCS12000 and aqualink controller. I'll be sure to post feedback for everyone once the pumps and controller actually start shipping. I have no idea when they are supposed to be released but hopefully soon.

Archived