300g freshwater planted tank?

Captexas

I found a nice 300g tank for sale for an incredible price. I've been looking lately to find a tank around 120 to maybe 180g as I like the 2' wide by 2' tall to do a freshwater planted tank. Not heavily planted, but I like the more natural look of live plants. This tank is 8' long x 2 1/2' wide x 2' tall. Will require completely rearranging my living room! lol The tank is not reef ready which I was kind of preferring so as to hide some stuff in the stand, but it's one of those deals that is almost too good to pass up.

I can't decide what to do! Anyone want to talk me into/out of getting it? lol

Well shoot, just found out I had the dimensions backwords, it's 30 inches tall and 24 inches wide. That height kind of bothers me for a planted tank, really didn't want one that tall due to needing more lighting for that depth.

I'm still debating it. I've read a few threads on various forums today about people running T5's on tanks that deep and having success. So now debating on it not being a reef ready tank to where I could do a sump to hide most of the equipment. That's a big tank to drill and risk breaking it. I've drilled a 240g tank years ago, but it was already reef ready and I was just doing holes for a closed loop.

I dunno yall. It's too big for a lot of high light co2 hungry stems without some metal halides or several radions but what about some big swords, jungle Val, anubias, ect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drilling that big of a tank with the thicker glass should be less risky not more risky if done right. Why do T5s when you can do LEDs and not replace bulbs every year? If they can grow SPS, they can grow FW plants, even at 30" depth...

Drilling that big of a tank with the thicker glass should be less risky not more risky if done right. Why do T5s when you can do LEDs and not replace bulbs every year? If they can grow SPS, they can grow FW plants, even at 30" depth...

I just haven't had the time to read up on LED's as for the different types and controllers and all that stuff. Going to be a big task setting up this tank as it is if I get it. Right now it has some sort of power compact lights. I know the LED's are the big fad right now and yeah, wouldn't be looking forward paying for new bulbs every year.

As for the other post above, yeah I've kind of read the stem plants have a harder time and the ground cover type plants grow at a snails pace so I'd have to be careful about what plants I chose. There are still some nice looking tall tanks I've seen pictures of in a google search.

I've got a drilled 360g tank if you are interested. Water height is 27"

I really wasn't looking for a tank as big as a 300, but just a crazy good deal came up. Unless yours has a canopy and stand and crazy good price I doubt I could afford it or have room for it. lol :-)

Well after going back and forth for a week not being able to decide, I finally talked myself into getting the tank. Got up with the roosters and drove up to Dallas and picked it up today. It's a DAS tank and has the filter housing on one side which I didn't see in the pictures and wasn't used by the previous owner. It's missing parts and takes up too much room in the tank so I'll probably try cutting the silicone that holds in place and see if I can get it out. I need to run a new circuit for power on the wall where it will go. That wall has my laundry room on the other side so I'm going to also see if I can tap into the drain line and water line to make water changes a little easier. Got some work to do before thinking of moving into the house which will be a fun task in itself! lol

Archived