the jolt 1̶5̶0̶ 180

jolt

1 hour ago, Jnaylor said:

Seriously, amazing collection. Let me know when you start sellin ;)

Will do.  Right now these are growout for my 180, and not sure which ones will make the cut yet.

29 minutes ago, Jnaylor said:

Looking good! Love the anthias :)

Thanks!  I was not a big anthias fan, but after having these I really like them.  They are soooo friendly.  I have bartlett's in my frag tank and I've decided I like the Ignitus a lot more.  The bartlett's just chase each other around.  The ignitus like to school, which is what I was looking for

That frag set up and the contents are amazing! Well done Jolt! You're going to have an instant reef once the corals get in there!

I never kept barletts but always heard they are aggressive to each other. I appreciate the firsthand observations!

27 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

That frag set up and the contents are amazing! Well done Jolt! You're going to have an instant reef once the corals get in there!

I never kept barletts but always heard they are aggressive to each other. I appreciate the firsthand observations!

Thanks Ty.  That was the idea - grow out in the frag tank and then frag into the display tank.  Only coral flesh moves to the DT, and gets dipped on the way over.  The FT is a near identical setup as far as lights, etc., so hopefully that will make the transition smooth.  Right now the DT is still too immature so I'm just cooking things in the FT.  The DT is just really good at growing algae right now :)  But,  I'm actually gonna have to have a clearance sale sometime in the next couple months, but that's a good problem to have!

I should add: I have a really nice chunk of northern lights and also Ty's fakeberry (which is a  nice piece if you ask me!)

• Like 1

Thanks Ty.  That was the idea - grow out in the frag tank and then frag into the display tank.  Only coral flesh moves to the DT, and gets dipped on the way over.  The FT is a near identical setup as far as lights, etc., so hopefully that will make the transition smooth.  Right now the DT is still too immature so I'm just cooking things in the FT.  The DT is just really good at growing algae right now [emoji4]  But,  I'm actually gonna have to have a clearance sale sometime in the next couple months, but that's a good problem to have!
I should add: I have a really nice chunk of northern lights and also Ty's fakeberry (which is a  nice piece if you ask me!)
That's pure genius sir! Man I love my FarmerTy FearlBerry, it almost didn't make the transition to the new house but I have 2 frags of it that did fine. I can't wait for it to grow back out.

1 hour ago, jolt said:

grow out in the frag tank and then frag into the display tank.  Only coral flesh moves to the DT, and gets dipped on the way over.

So how are the frags secured in place in the DT?  Superglue and hope your aim is on point the first time?

44 minutes ago, BobcatReefer said:

So how are the frags secured in place in the DT?  Superglue and hope your aim is on point the first time?

Good question!  I have not transferred any frags yet, but I was thinking to use the epoxy donut approach (learned that one from Ty).  So, pick a spot and see how it does.  Since PAR etc should be similar (same lights tested with PAR meter), then I hope to be able to keep things in the ballpark.  But, I won't take whole frags out of the FT, so if there are problems I will be able to try another piece later so long as I don't crash the FT :blink:

• Like 1

I've actually been thinking about this whole process a bit, as I prepare to spend my lottery winnings....  

Obviously you don't want any contaminants, but clearly you don't want plugs either.  What about using rubble rock as frag plugs?

Take dry rock rubble that has been cycled and treated and then dried.  Glue your frag to that and cure for a minute/overnight in your sump or something.  That way, no plug coming from the frag tank, but still easier to handle and epoxy into place, without the ugly frag plug base look.

9 hours ago, BobcatReefer said:

I've actually been thinking about this whole process a bit, as I prepare to spend my lottery winnings....  

Obviously you don't want any contaminants, but clearly you don't want plugs either.  What about using rubble rock as frag plugs?

Take dry rock rubble that has been cycled and treated and then dried.  Glue your frag to that and cure for a minute/overnight in your sump or something.  That way, no plug coming from the frag tank, but still easier to handle and epoxy into place, without the ugly frag plug base look.

Yeah that would work nicely for sure, I may give it a go!

5 hours ago, Reeflogic said:

The tank is gorgeous, can't wait to see all those frags growing in the DT! 

Me too!   I have a horrible green slime problem in the DT right now that I am trying to tame, so it could be a while.  I have a 6 week sabbatical coming up from my work in November and I hope to spend lots of time on the DT then :)

• Like 1

Looks great Jolt.  Those are some good sized frags in the FT.  Take your time introducing to the DT and you'll be set.  I like the rubble approach as well.  BRS used to sell a rubble kit.  Or just come over and grab a few extra pounds of rocks from my backyard and you'll be set :)

On 8/17/2017 at 7:43 AM, olaggie01 said:

Looks great Jolt.  Those are some good sized frags in the FT.  Take your time introducing to the DT and you'll be set.  I like the rubble approach as well.  BRS used to sell a rubble kit.  Or just come over and grab a few extra pounds of rocks from my backyard and you'll be set :)

I may take you up on that.  I'd love to see your Reef Savvy someday and it's as goods an excuse as any :)