New to ARC and the hobby ....

jcasisa

Hello all,

Long time stalker ... first time poster.

I have always loved aquariums ever since I was a kid and had a 55g fresh water tank. I am now in a position where I want to try my hand at salt water, but it seems a little more daunting that fresh. I have the space for about a 75g to 90g tank, but maybe not the budget. So I am looking for some advice and maybe a mentor to help with some of the decisions.

I have been looking through some of the tank builds and I am amazed at the beauty that can be created.

So my first question, I am most likely going to have to do this in stages, so I was going to get the stand and tank first then additional accessories as budget allows. Is a 75g or 90g a good size tank to start with? And if so, any particular features that are 'must haves'?

Thanks,

John

So my first question, I am most likely going to have to do this in stages, so I was going to get the stand and tank first then additional accessories as budget allows. Is a 75g or 90g a good size tank to start with? And if so, any particular features that are 'must haves'?

Thanks,

John

Generally, the rule is that larger tanks are more stable and easier to maintain. Price wise, the 75 and 90g tanks are going to be about the same and use the same equipment. There are very nice aquariums that range anywhere from 3g-25g so don't think you're forced into something that's too large for you. A good, scratchless, used tank is cheaper than buying new and you reduce your startup costs. The pumps and mechanical equipment are another story doh.gif

There are some questions that you have to ask yourself before you start though.

1. How much time and effort do I want to invest? A smaller tank needs to be looked after on a daily basis. That's not to say that you have to test your water every day, but one liter of evaporation in a 10g is a bigger deal than one gallon in a 90g. Larger tanks tend to have more filtration and equipment to maintain them, which is an added expense, but will keep your maintenance time down. On the other hand, smaller tank keepers tend to do more water changes which can cure 90% of all tank issues.
  2. What kind of animals do I want to keep? Everyone has their thing that gets them interested in saltwater aquariums. I'm a fish guy myself so I need a large tank to house them, but coral guys can turn a 29g Biocube into the best thing you've ever seen and be totally happy.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

So after hearing the initial advice I think I will be going with a 90g tank and I definitely would want coral but also I would need a clown fish for my daughter (blame Nemo :P ).

A new question I have, I am a novice woodworker and after looking at many tank stands in stores, I think I could build a nice stand that would match other furniture in the room. I would think a 90g tank would weigh close to 1000 pounds, is that an accurate assumption?

I think I may try to attend the next meeting just so that I can place faces with screen names.

-John

So after hearing the initial advice I think I will be going with a 90g tank and I definitely would want coral but also I would need a clown fish for my daughter (blame Nemo :P ).

A new question I have, I am a novice woodworker and after looking at many tank stands in stores, I think I could build a nice stand that would match other furniture in the room. I would think a 90g tank would weigh close to 1000 pounds, is that an accurate assumption?

I think I may try to attend the next meeting just so that I can place faces with screen names.

-John

A general rule of thumb is ten pounds per gallon but that could very greatly with your scape, also don't forget that you might put a hood on letter to hide lights or equipment so I would be inclined to overbuild the stand just a bit.mi would go with a safety factor of 1.5 if you know what you are putting in it fairly well but it could not hurt to go higher. As for clown fish and coral you could easily get away with a smaller tank if that is all you wanted.

So after hearing the initial advice I think I will be going with a 90g tank and I definitely would want coral but also I would need a clown fish for my daughter (blame Nemo tongue.png ).

-John

About right on the weight.

If you are good with joints, 3/4 ply has no problem holding this much weight without having to use 2x4's or other internal structure. I have a nice oak 75/90 gallon footprint plywood stand from RJ aquatics, and they said they have load tested theirs at over 2000 lbs without failure.

After more investigation, what is the opinion of the 29g Bio Cube as a starter system? I understand because it is smaller I would have to do more maintenance but I think it would be a good learning experience.

-John

I have the option of getting a 55g tank that is currently being used for freshwater and a fluval 306 canister filter for $150. From what I can tell that is a pretty good deal because a new filter alone would cost that. The reviews on Amazon also say it is a pretty good filter and should easily handle this size tank. What is the general opinion about this filter?

Thanks,

John

Canister filters are good for freshwater, but in salt they clog easily and lose effectiveness. They were the mainstream in the 90's but few tanks above 40g use them anymore. The mainstream today for tanks 55g and larger is to utilize an overflow and incorporate a sump. The main reason is because people want to hide the equipment, like a protein skimmer, which can get pretty gnarly.

This hobby should really have a Generally Accepted Reefkeeping Principals (GARP) document published!

Tank drilling is a common method of plumbing the drain and return lines so that you don't see them. If you wanted to incorporate a sump, but don't want to drill, then you can add an external overflow to the tank. A place like www.glassholes.com sells kits and hole saws for both methods.

In general, you should get the largest sump you can. However, you still want to be able to fit all of your equipment in the stand so that it's hidden. It really depends on how much equipment you want, but I would say 29g sump should be your minimum in a 55 or 75g tank. Very sophisticated tanks incorporate a skimmer, 1-3 reactors, and an automatic top off system. There are other bells and whistles as well, but they are mostly aimed at automation. You don't really need all of that to be successful. There are plenty of members on the forums that use very little equipment and have nice tanks. It's all about you.

Archived