Pregnant or not!

tropicaldreams

I'm thinking he should have already given birth based on those proportions, which now has me wondering if he's too thin. I'd need to see him at another angle before knowing that. The wilds have a reputation for wasting because they are so picky about food and more prone to illness, but yours is eating. I would watch for internal parasites by keeping an eye on the fecal matter. It should be a nice tight medium grey pellet; if it's white, slimy and/or stringy (though it can have these features if the pony has been fasting) then I'd jump to treating with PrazilPro or an equivalent. I've had good success with that.

Oh, I like him and he looks good. Do you know what species he is? Mine are Erectus and are more barrel-chested. He looks similar to a Borboriensis, those come out of the West Indian Ocean and are about 3-1/2 to 4-inch. How long is he? Do you know where he came from?

• 2 weeks later...

So beautiful. The Reidi is known to have spots. Is that one a female, and is she black or a dark brown?

Do yours ever get fussy about their food? Mine do a lot. I fast them for 24 hours once a week, and that seems to keep them in sync - but they want me to change the menu way more than I expected

I consider them a beneficial CUC member but I've never had any that ate coral or do anything worse than obscuring the view on the front pane of glass.

Do they clean better than a snail would?

Probably not because they're so small. The do some work on film algae, but a few snails would probable be worth hundreds of asterinas.

Personally I'm pretty much done with snails anymore. I'm currently trying some trochus, but the huge snail CUC's that seem to be popular just end up being huge nutrient contributors as the snails slowly die off. I've had much fewer problems since I stopped keeping snails in my tanks.

+1 My 150g has 3 snails and a conch. I swore off hermits a few years back and I don't regret it in the least. I've never had a problem with asterinas. Supposedly the grey ones eat coral and the white ones are safe. I tend to keep a lot of wrasses and they always eat the stars.

I consider them a beneficial CUC member but I've never had any that ate coral or do anything worse than obscuring the view on the front pane of glass.

Do they clean better than a snail would?

Probably not because they're so small. The do some work on film algae, but a few snails would probable be worth hundreds of asterinas.

Personally I'm pretty much done with snails anymore. I'm currently trying some trochus, but the huge snail CUC's that seem to be popular just end up being huge nutrient contributors as the snails slowly die off. I've had much fewer problems since I stopped keeping snails in my tanks.

+1 My 150g has 3 snails and a conch. I swore off hermits a few years back and I don't regret it in the least. I've never had a problem with asterinas. Supposedly the grey ones eat coral and the white ones are safe. I tend to keep a lot of wrasses and they always eat the stars.

My hermit crab does not bother anything but I probably won't get another once this one is gone, him and the peppermint shrimp did a good job cleaning up my dead nasarius snail though.

Archived