Pregnant or not!

tropicaldreams

I keep a herd of ponies on a 110g and that stallion is pregnant. I would bet he gives birth any moment now! I would only be worried about bubbles if he's having trouble keeping himself vertical and maybe floats side ways near the surface. He looks perfect in your pictue. Are you having any trouble with him?

I keep a herd of ponies on a 110g and that stallion is pregnant. I would bet he gives birth any moment now! I would only be worried about bubbles if he's having trouble keeping himself vertical and maybe floats side ways near the surface. He looks perfect in your pictue. Are you having any trouble with him?

Do you have any pictures of your tank Tracy? It's a side of saltwater I have absolutely no experience with but it's fascinating!

No he eats like a horse and swims like a fish. We also have a 110 tall. How many horses do you have? Where do you get yours from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently I'm only allowed one more post today so I'll try to make it count! Yes, I have pictures - let me figure out how to upload and I'll be happy to share. Thank you for asking :)

Come next week I'll be up to 6 ponies, and I only purchase the CCB's from Hawaii. It's great to hear your little stallion is healthy, mine are too. Is your 110g dedicated to seahorses? Mine is, and it's certainly no small endeavor.

Apparently I'm only allowed one more post today so I'll try to make it count! Yes, I have pictures - let me figure out how to upload and I'll be happy to share. Thank you for asking smile.png

Come next week I'll be up to 6 ponies, and I only purchase the CCB's from Hawaii. It's great to hear your little stallion is healthy, mine are too. Is your 110g dedicated to seahorses? Mine is, and it's certainly no small endeavor.

Shouldn't be any issues with posts Tracy, if so PM me and I'll make sure everything works.

I have a few mushrooms with mine, and the nicest Mandarin Dragonet you could ever wish for. He's plump and a complete garbage disposal; surprisingly, he's my most valuable cleanup member. I also have a pair of Harlequin Shrimp, a pair of Fire Shrimp, a pair of Scarlet Cleaners and one single psycho Peppermint Shimp (he's a cannibal whenever he runs into his own kind, weird right?), and an assortment of snails.

So has your stallion given birth yet, how'd it go? Btw, is he wild or captive bred?

I have a few mushrooms with mine, and the nicest Mandarin Dragonet you could ever wish for. He's plump and a complete garbage disposal; surprisingly, he's my most valuable cleanup member. I also have a pair of Harlequin Shrimp, a pair of Fire Shrimp, a pair of Scarlet Cleaners and one single psycho Peppermint Shimp (he's a cannibal whenever he runs into his own kind, weird right?), and an assortment of snails.

So has your stallion given birth yet, how'd it go? Btw, is he wild or captive bred?

What are you doing to feed the harlequins? The only specimens I have come into contact with would only eat starfish.

What are you doing to feed the harlequins? The only specimens I have come into contact with would only eat starfish.

Yes, that's what they eat. I feed them 2 chocolate chips per month. It takes them a week to eat one, then they fast after that. After a week they will come out and wave at me when it's time for another one. They're great tank mates for the seahorses; I waited until they were full grown before the ponies showed up so Harleys wouldn't look like food. I have some great pics of them working together to haul the chocolate chip up to their rock; I'll try to find them.

Yes, that's what they eat. I feed them 2 chocolate chips per month. It takes them a week to eat one, then they fast after that. After a week they will come out and wave at me when it's time for another one. They're great tank mates for the seahorses; I waited until they were full grown before the ponies showed up so Harleys wouldn't look like food. I have some great pics of them working together to haul the chocolate chip up to their rock; I'll try to find them.
Ok, I have know a lot of people that are shocked when their harlequins die or eat their favorite linkia.

I've found that asterinas are the perfect harlequin food. They reproduce quickly, are small, and don't require purchasing large stars to carve up as a food source. I would harvest them from my overflow and sump to feed to the harlequins in the tank. It also keeps the harlequins accustomed to "hunting" for dinner.

Ok, I have know a lot of people that are shocked when their harlequins die or eat their favorite linkia.

To be fair, most people can't keep either a linkia or fomia past 3 or 4 months, so at least they're going to good use.

To be fair, most people can't keep either a linkia or fomia past 3 or 4 months, so at least they're going to good use.
This is very true

I've found that asterinas are the perfect harlequin food. They reproduce quickly, are small, and don't require purchasing large stars to carve up as a food source. I would harvest them from my overflow and sump to feed to the harlequins in the tank. It also keeps the harlequins accustomed to "hunting" for dinner.

I like this idea, hadn't thought of keeping them in the sump. I was under the impression Harleys eat through them too quickly to be considered a viable meal. Maybe as a snack?

Where would you find asterinas anyways? They're considered pests by just about any measure :)

@tropicaldreams : I know we're off topic but I'm still holding out to hear about how that pony is doing!

In my 90 the asterinas reproduced quick enough that the harleys could never decimate them. As for pests that discussion has been had here often with the general consensus that there are some bad strains of asterinas but for the most part they're harmless.

Lots of members here have them in abundance, do a search or put a listing up in the Want to Buy forum and you'll be inundated. It doesn't take many to get a sustainable colony going.

I consider them a beneficial CUC member but I've never had any that ate coral or do anything worse than obscuring the view on the front pane of glass.

Do they clean better than a snail would?

I consider them a beneficial CUC member but I've never had any that ate coral or do anything worse than obscuring the view on the front pane of glass.

Do they clean better than a snail would?

Probably not because they're so small. The do some work on film algae, but a few snails would probable be worth hundreds of asterinas.

Personally I'm pretty much done with snails anymore. I'm currently trying some trochus, but the huge snail CUC's that seem to be popular just end up being huge nutrient contributors as the snails slowly die off. I've had much fewer problems since I stopped keeping snails in my tanks.

I have 4 snails in my entire 215-gallon. Sea urchins, giant zebra snails (the size of a racquetball), and sea cucumbers is where it's at! Don't even mention hermit crabs in my presence please. doh.gif

I would do a sea cucumber or urchin if I had a larger tank but with just ten gallons it is just my one peppermint shrimp, the 3 regular snails, a nasarius, and one single hermit that actually does a pretty good job. I could probably get rid of the hermit but I have had it since the beginning with my picotope.

Sorry Tracy I've been a little busy. No birth still bloated. Swimming fine and eating fine.

In the tank I have three seahorses wild, two clowns, two fire fish, a diamond goby, scooter blenny. Corals I have zoas, Duncan's, rock anemones, gorgs, and mushrooms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived