BPB's 75 gallon planted

Bpb

WOW it's been a while since an update.

My substrate became problematic. The amount of organic matter was just uncontrollable. No matter how high I ran co2, how much excel I dosed, how low I ran the lights, or how much much water I changed, the algae was unreal. I grew a full carpet of cladophora algae that I would peel up in mats weekly. The maintenance was ruining it for me. Had to do something.

So I sacrificed 7 bags of floramax and tore the entire tank down. Tossed 90% of the plants. Kept only a few stems which I soaked in peroxide. For substrate I laid down 2 inches of black diamond blasting grit. And popped in a grid of osmocote tabs every few inches. Eheim filter also crashed so I replaced it with a sunsun.

Also replaced one t5ho fixture with a BuildmyLED Dutch XB strip as well. Brings us to today.

I've tossed the AR and a couple other species that just weren't working for me. I'm sticking with what works and the scape is more conservative now. Much to my surprise, dwarf hairgrass LOVES the tank and is growing like mad. The carpet you see started as a single tissue culture pack from petco, planted sparsely. About 2 dozen little crowns. It's filled in a lot. Here 'tis. Growth has been slower but the algae is under control and the plants are ALOT happier. Cannot seem to get red in my rotala though. Either of them

781ae8bbdbefad9d297fdd5e1690f511.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived