DIY CARX thoughts

Bpb

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find in order to learn I have to experiment. during experimentation I find things good/bad on the item I acquired. This would get expensive if I didnt mind purchasing items second hand (from here, CL, etc). My current CARX is a CL find from SA, fixed a leak here or there, made an effluent box , got a new regulator, and BAM, in business.... until solenoid wouldnt turn off *lol* Luckily i watch the ph probe from my box closely!

so far i've learned.... less items that allow for leakage points, better off you are. while an effluent cup isnt instantly accurate in the chamber, its plenty accurate as to whats actually going in your tank. takes some tweaking and timing, once thats ironed out... its just as good, and one less leak point.

PUMPS... more often than not, you are better off replacing pumps on anything used. you don't know how the previous owner handled them, then could go bad, leak manufacturing oil int he tank, and tank crash. (pump on a skimmer i bought went bad after about... 8 yrs!)

I believe I paid $350, which is the lower range of your estimate for an SS regulator. I know you said that was outside your budget, but in the course of mulling things over sometimes folks come to terms with the costs of what they really want ;-)

I bought a regulator like Reburn's from his contact in the planted tank world, and it is a thing of beauty!

picts? links? i heard of this regulator, but i didnt ask details sad.png

IMG_20140927_120813.jpg

This is similar to the regulator he's talking about. The fella on plantedtank.net and reef central that builds these contacted me and offered to build one. This is the "cheapest" of the lab grade regulator builds he does. SS Concoa 312 dual stage regulator, with SS swagelock metering valve and SS burkert solenoid for $320 shipped. Will literally last a lifetime. You would never have to replace this regulator. The Burkert solenoid is rated for 1 billion on/off cycles. Think any of us would ever reach that point?

Ty, what do you currently run your carx off of? If I go forward with this I'll need some serious help to figure out tuning.

I ran my Korallin off of a manifold, a Tom's aqualifter, and a maxi jet 600. I think I got the most consistent results from the maxijet.

I currently run my no-name brand CARX (I suspect its a Precision Marine) off of my manifold with a flow valve on it and it's worked just fine as is.

I will most likely build my next one out of PVC and make it giant! But that's a project down the road.

Just a quick note, the Korallin's estimated usage is grossly over exaggerated. It handles a lot less than advertised but typically the stated number the Carx is rated for is for light use on most CaRXs. IME, the Korallin C1502 can handle 100 gallon max for a full SPS tank like my old 125-gallon but most don't run that SPS heavy.

Thoughts on what it is about the MJ pump that made it more stable flow than a manifold? I'm about to upgrade to an oversized return pump and will need to reroute close to half of its flow power in exhaust back down to the sump. I figured that would be PLENTY of flow for a reactor.

None really. They were close to being the same on reliability. I just like the ability to control the CARX feed pump separately if needed.

You'll need to check with the reactor you buy. The Korallin was optimized to work slightly under pressure. Most aren't so feeding it too much will cause issues with leaks and inefficient co2 usage.

My calcium reactor draws water from the manifold and uses a circulation pump to evenly stabilize the pH in the media chamber. I haven't had any problems with this reactor, but my previous one often failed to draw water from the manifold and often went dry. I upgraded in order to avoid using a noisy pump.

I use the Azoo pressure regulator that is sold on Drs. Foster and Smith. I prefer this one over my Milwaukee because I found it easier to use and other reviewers have said the same thing. The company is based in Taiwan, so the instructions are vague at best. I haven't had to touch the regulator after initially dialing it in. This item doesn't come with a bubble counter. I didn't need one for my system, but it's something to think about.

Quick update. I went ahead and got over the sticker shock and bit the bullet on a high-quality dual stage regulator. As with most things in the hobby they appear out of reach until I just carefully save some money and sell some things here and there. The regulator should be here Monday. I am going to do what was suggested and use the small Maxi jet to run the future calcium reactor, mainly because I turn my return pump off to do amino acid and coral feedings and I dont want that to mess with my reactor ph. I'll start that way and keep my eyes peeled for masterflex pump to run it long term.

I have a concoa 312 regulator with burkert solenoid and hoke needle valve coming my way, and ordered a GLA bubble counter with check valve as well. It will take some time for me to come up with the money for an actual calcium reactor, so in the meantime I will test out this regulator on my planted tank.

I also ordered some new bulbs so I am not skipping out on a much needed bulb change.

Never know! I'd likely buy an upgraded solenoid/needle valve and continue using the cheap regulator. Considered trying out the Carbon doser attachment. The reef community seems to think that's the cream of the crop for regulators lol. While the planted tank community shakes their head and laughs.

Woohoo! Regulator arrived. This thing is massive and dense. Must weigh 10 pounds. I may have to consider tying down my co2 tank it may fall over from the weight!

Also, I asked the seller about check valves and he sent me links of where to get the ones he recommended. I was a little disappointed he wasn't going to include them but surprise, he threw one in as well. I'll get it all hooked up tomorrow and post some pics of the planted tank on my journal

Woohoo! Regulator arrived. This thing is massive and dense. Must weigh 10 pounds. I may have to consider tying down my co2 tank it may fall over from the weight!

Umm, it should already be tied down? smile.png

There it is. Super heavy. I'm kind of torn on how to tie down the co2 tank. Maybe just bungee cords hooked together behind the stand perhaps. I dunno.

post-2651-0-64961400-1435158834_thumb.jp

Archived