Potential ick problem.

My fish may be coming down with ick. My firefish has a bunch of little white dots and it looks to be spreading to my other fish since I've noticed some white dots on them too. Not like the firefish, but they do have some. What do you guys suggest I should do???

I'd post pictures but it's pretty hard to take them when the fish won't stop moving. Haha.

Unfortunately not everyone is taking sand baths :/ it's most likely ich. Any new additions? What other fish do you have with the firefish?

From my experience you have two options, catch everybody and quarantine them with a copper treatment.

Or leave them be and try to make sure they eat, sometimes soaking food in garlic can make it more palatable for the fish.

The crappy news is you can lose guys either way, but by treating the infected fish and leaving the tank fallow for 6-8weeks, and qt'ing any new arrivals. You can rest a little easier knowing you have less chance of free floating parasites in the water column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a greenbanded goby, a yellow goby, yellow watchman goby, pistol shrimp, and an anemone crab. I've seen it on my greenbanded and yellow gobies. Not as bad though. The others are fine. I started noticing the ich like three days ago. I haven't added anything in a while. It's been almost three weeks since i last added something. Everyone is eating just fine. Haven't seen any change in behavior.

All gobies? Awesome! everyone actually is taking sand baths then haha gobies are generally pretty hardy fish. As long as they keep eating, they have a decent chance of fighting off ich themselves. Something could potentially be stressing them. Has anything else changed recently in the tank? Are you able to check salinity?

I'd check your parameters as Bluemoon suggested. An ich outbreak with a new addition is one thing, an ich outbreak with no new additions screams a stressor to me. Something in the tank is causing stress to the fish and they are more susceptible to disease in this state. I'm a proponent of leave them in the tank, feed well, identify and remove the stressor, and allow the ich infestation to go away by itself. This is just my opinion based on my own experiences with my systems. Others may have a different opinion.

Nothing else has changed. I don't have a test kit of my own. So I'll be taking my water to get tested and check the salinity at a lfs.

All gobies? Awesome! everyone actually is taking sand baths then haha gobies are generally pretty hardy fish. As long as they keep eating, they have a decent chance of fighting off ich themselves. Something could potentially be stressing them. Has anything else changed recently in the tank? Are you able to check salinity?

Are gobies known for taking sand baths???

Archived