Help calibrating the 1.1mL/ min BRS dosing pumps

M6S1K3

I have two 1.1mL BRS dosing pumps that I'm assuming I need to calibrate. I see the hole in the top right that has a "+-". How do I know if it's calibrated to 1.1mL/ minute?

I appreciate the help. 44ca36c630b4166c7b4e45879c7eaf43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You let it run for several minutes and measure how much was pumped divided by number of minutes

Hook it up to some RODI water in a tupperware and let it pump into a measuring cup

+1 to Jim. There really is no need to calibrate them for the most part. I would just do what Jim suggested and find out what the dosing rate of your unit is now and then just program their function off of that. If it's dosing 1.3 ml/min now, then program your dosing regiment with that rate, if it's dosing 0.9 ml/min, then do the same with that number. Just my 2 cents.

I appreciate it. Yea there is no way to actually calibrate. But what you said Ty makes sense.

Thanks all for the help!

Don't thank me... Jim's the brains behind the operation... I just take his words and scream them through a megaphone for all to hear! [emoji4]

Haha. I see how Jim tried to get me to that conclusion. I had an extremely kind week so you spelling it out helped nudge me closer to jims words haha.

Run the doser for 10 minutes into a cup that is marked in ml. Once you are done that will give you how many ml/min. So if you hit 10ml in 10 minutes you are at 1ml/min. Make sure you do 10 minutes to get an accurate number.

Problem with me winging anything is I have horrible luck and somehow Id be dosing like 15ml a minute (yes i realize that's high but...) and everything would die haha. And I bought them second hand but new in box. Except one came without a mounting bracket. So I have to engineer something. I called brs and they can't even get them.

To what Reburn said, it's important to measure alk frequently when dosing. That's the best way to get a handle on how much to dose. I measure alk daily and adjust my dosing time almost daily (+/1 a second or so typically), based on current alk consumption. Larger tanks probably can get away less often. Mine is 32 gallons.

Yes, most folks consider the Hanna a great tool. Also, I would add that I have marked my dosing containers in 50ml increments and I watch the consumption there too. I've learned that over time my second doser has started dispensing less than the first so I adjust it so that consumption on both is roughly equivalent over a week.

Archived