Who/what company builds custom LED fixtures?

jhilt7743

I'm looking for an individual or a company who builds custom LED fixtures, or premade all-around reef fixtures. There used to be a guy here in the US who sold his on Ebay for a decent price (I think around 130-150 a fixture) and if you emailed him he would custom build them for you and give you a discount if you bought 2 or more. He's not on Ebay anymore though as far as I know :/ I believe he used bridgelux LED's for his fixtures. They were similar to these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/165W-Timer-Control-LED-Aquarium-Light-Full-Spectrum-3W-BridgeLux-Chips-Panel-/301487316861?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46320b5f7dbut i'm really wanting to find someone who could possibly custom build them so I can add a few more UV LED's to my liking. If anyone could possibly point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

+1 to BuildMyLED.com If you go to their website they have a section for custom configuration of a fixture. Cool thing is it gives you the spectral and PAR output. There are also several good build threads in the DIY section. Additionally RapidLED has LEDs with solderless connectors so you can custom build a fixture without soldering. Here's a link I posted a couple years ago with a couple DIY LED cannon fixtures but the LEDs can easily be configured on a different heat sink: http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/23988-my-led-pdfs/ A final thought on adding UV is it can strongly promote the production of green flourescing protein in some corals (some are not able to produce it or can produce it only very weakly). This may be a desirable effect, with Acropora tortusa, var. "Cali" it can have very attravtive geen and bluish/purple colors but with some red and orange corals you may loose a lot of the orange or red to green, Lobophyllia hemphrechii being a good example.

I'm not sure the addition of green LEDs is very useful in coral photosynthesis and growth. I know when I was building my own LED light a few years ago it was a pretty hotly contested issue. I haven't followed much of the debates lately, but I don't think many people have found a strong correlation between the green wavelength and coral growth.

That being said, I agree that BuildMyLEDs is a great source for customizing what lights you want. There are also a lot of different companies that produce a wide range of LED style lighting for aquariums. Or if you really want to have them exactly like you imagine, then going to RapidLED and buying your own supplies and building from scratch is a good idea. It's really not as hard as you may think, just learn how to connect the LEDs to eachother on a heat sink, wire them to a driver, and make sure you don't overpower them. I was happy with my build and I had no electronic experience before it

Green light is the excitation spectrum for some fluorescing proteins so obviously corals are doing something with it or trying to get rid of it for some reason. But using white LEDs arguably is going to be a more efficient way to get it since green LEDs are still very ineffecient. A very intrgueing question is raised looking at corals that are using fluorescing or chromo proteins to deal with red and blue light but are absorbing green and yellow.

I watched this video and they touch on the green spectrum. Bonus is its the ceo of build my led in Austin.

LED Lighting in Aquarium Applications Presentation by Nick Klase | MACNA...:

Archived