SChrisEV's 185g 60l x 30d x 24h

SChrisEV

Hey, I think I recognize that screen name? You're alive? grin.png

Yeah, 13' long wall, it's time for mega tank SChrisEV. You got the dream house, let's make it a dream tank too! Unless you're picking up Jimbo's tank and filling that space with two tanks, then I will allow that and gift you with the honor of my presence from time to time to stare at the tanks. whistle.gif If it's only the 5' tank there, I will boycott your place sir. poke.gif

Well I'm 100% on board with the idea of the dream tank... just need to see how (or maybe WHEN) I can make that happen. smile.png
You have 6-8 months sir. Let's start looking!

LOL, think I have not already? :) I'm going to get a price on a new one, thinking PVC bottom, maybe 84 x 30 x 24? I really like the 30" width I have now. Course the big tank means a bigger skimmer, etc. so my pricing all goes up! :)

Maybe I should post in the WTB section for a larger tank. ;)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, I'll only have a 9' ceiling in the sump room, so I'm not sure I can fit a skimmer larger than yours in there!

I barely scratch 5' with heels on, surely we can find a skimmer taller than me for you.

I don't want to talk about your personal life... you in heels. Does your wife know about this? NEVERMIND, Let's keep this about aquariums!

Why do you think I married her? She accepts my quirkiness and she wears the same shoe size as me. shifty.gif

I don't want to talk about your personal life... you in heels. Does your wife know about this? NEVERMIND, Let's keep this about aquariums!

Why do you think I married her? She accepts my quirkiness and she wears the same shoe size as me. shifty.gif

rofl.gif

This is the basic room layout. I need to figure out where everything will go. There is no door from the study (read Aquarium room) to the sump room, I'll need to go out to the garage to gain access, probably not idea, but hey, I have a sump room! smile.png

post-2161-0-08816000-1469812073_thumb.pn

For anyone that has plumbed a sump that is not under the display, any words of advise is very appropriated. I have a Reeflo Snapped/Dart Hybrid 3600/2600GPH that I am running at 2600 right now, I suspect with the added run I'd need to go back to the 3600, if that is strong enough. Depending on how I layout the sump room it could be as little as 10/12" more head length, or 4/5 feet.

If cost is not a function, I say get a nice acrylic sump. But if you want to keep costs lower and most likely people aren't going to go into your sump room often enough for you to show it off, just get the tub and call it a day. You will have less flexibility to have segmented chambers with different water levels for different purposes (refugium, skimmer chamber, etc) but if that doesn't matter to you, then tub it.

Black bin = stock tank. ;) Yeah, well like most things in life, cost is a factor. One really nice thing I'm looking forward to (I hope) is with a sump not under my tank, it should be a lot easier to change things up as I need. I do really like the idea of an acrylic sump tho.

This is my first draft design for the fish/sump room. It's a tight space for all that I am trying to do. Your thought are very welcome! I have not figured out the sump chambers yet so don't know the water volume it would add, but the total sump size is about 100g total. Maybe get 60ish in water volume. Have a 40g ATO reservoir, small utility sink, and a rack for a couple tanks, quarantine etc. I'll only have about a 3 x 4 area in the center that is open. I'd have shelves where it makes since for storage etc.

post-2161-0-43116700-1470764144_thumb.pn

I was/am debating not putting a sink in the room, maybe have one outside the door to maximize work space, but I really like the idea of it being in the same space.

I agree with having the sink in the same room. I like the setup but wish you could put that return pump somewhere else. You'll have to maintain and clean it on occasion and it seems like it might be hard to get to once you get the QT racks in there. Maybe you can run it in front of the sump?

I agree with having the sink in the same room. I like the setup but wish you could put that return pump somewhere else. You'll have to maintain and clean it on occasion and it seems like it might be hard to get to once you get the QT racks in there. Maybe you can run it in front of the sump?

Yeah I struggled with that a bit as well. I do think it is a thing, but the sump "platform" will be just a bit off the front, few inches, while the QT rack could/would be a bit higher so I could get into the pump... but it is less accessible than I'd like.

Putting it in front... that is an idea. I'd have to make that platform a bit wider, eating a bit more open space.

I guess I could put the pump on the QT rack itself, that would add a couple feet of head pressure getting back to the tank. Or put the return on the left of the sump, again adding some head pressure, but maybe have a little better access.

Yeah I struggled with that a bit as well. I do think it is a thing, but the sump "platform" will be just a bit off the front, few inches, while the QT rack could/would be a bit higher so I could get into the pump... but it is less accessible than I'd like.

Putting it in front... that is an idea. I'd have to make that platform a bit wider, eating a bit more open space.

I guess I could put the pump on the QT rack itself, that would add a couple feet of head pressure getting back to the tank. Or put the return on the left of the sump, again adding some head pressure, but maybe have a little better access.

I like it! Just didn't want one of those emergency situations where you have to service the pump ASAP and theres a bunch of QT tanks in front of it making it difficult. I like the idea of just putting it on the QT racks somewhere.

Thinking about this a bit more, if I have the first shelf of the QT rack about standard desk height, then I can use the underside for salt/dry good storage etc. (maybe on rollers) and pull it out of the way when maintenance is needed. Much like crawling under a desk to get to the pump. I'll continue to play with it.

• 7 months later...
On 7/15/2015 at 10:22 AM, FarmerTy said:

It's not the aquascaping, it's the size of the tank. If that scape was in a 300 gallon for instance, perfect. emoji41.png You start looking for that bigger tank and I'll rally the tank moving crew together again. emoji12.png

LOL, @FarmerTy I was looking back over this post and what did I see????  You planted some subliminal message in this post!!!  And here I have a new bigger tank!  Are you ready to rally the tank moving crew again? :D

LOL, [mention=463]FarmerTy[/mention] I was looking back over this post and what did I see????  You planted some subliminal message in this post!!!  And here I have a new bigger tank!  Are you ready to rally the tank moving crew again? [emoji3]

Didn't I send you the link to that tank too? [emoji41] Enabler!

The only crew I'm a part of these days is the diaper changing crew! If he's over his fussiness next week, I'll make an appearance to help you move sir. Who wants to help the guy who's got a 4-week old help this guy move his tank for 30 mins? [emoji4]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Didn't I send you the link to that tank too? emoji41.png Enabler!

The only crew I'm a part of these days is the diaper changing crew! If he's over his fussiness next week, I'll make an appearance to help you move sir. Who wants to help the guy who's got a 4-week old help this guy move his tank for 30 mins? emoji4.png

@FarmerTyLOL, already 4 week isn't he walking yet?  Maybe he can help!!

Archived