Does anyone play the Stock Market?

bigsby

Just curious if anyone here buys and sells stocks on a regular basis.

There's an awesome stock I have been following and I am almost 100% certain this is the week it will be breaking out and making a lot of people some real money. It's still super cheap as of Friday at closing. I'm super excited to see what this weekends publicity will do. I am hoping to TRIPLE my investment this week at a minimum, but it should make some good advances regardless. $OWOO...Should be fun to watch if anyone is interested watch it tomorrow and for the next few days.

Watch the ticker. I bought in on an average of $.0057. They now have Oprah Winfrey and Vivian Fox behind them and had an amazing weekend at they Toy Fair in New York with Oprah actually sitting in at their booth. You can still buy in at $.0062 I believe tomorrow morning. But I see this one running hard until at least $.012 pending the resistance just under $.01. I'm sure there will be some people taking their profit as will I. But I will be right back in if it drops after that at all.

Interesting...I did this about 10 yrs ago. The stock just kinda floundered for about 6 mths then out of the blue one day it popped and my $75 turned into $12k...I cashed out!!!! A week later it tanked and eventually went away. I had an extra $40 sitting in my etrade acct from a couple of dividend payments and thought why not roll the dice... :-)

Yeah, otc stocks are substantially more risky. But with proper DD and research and buying in at the right time and getting out at the right time it's pretty easy to double up on your money in a day. You just have to watch the greed factor. I buy all kinds of different stock and as long as you are following trends and have the time and money to play it can definitely be worth the risk. I normally play gold and oil stocks but with the market so crazy like it has been its been difficult to follow traditional trends. I've made a lot of money on $DUST and $NUGT but I will wait a couple more weeks before I start hitting those hard again. At least until I can see what oil and gold will be doing.

Since gold is going back up a bit I will probably throw $1-2k at $NUGT just to turn a small profit this week since I see that one as a value at the moment.

I've always been really money conscience. You sort of have to be if you want to eat. I opened my Roth IRA at 22 and I've been managing it myself ever since. It seemed to make sense to get my degree in Finance and that opened me up to stocks and other instruments. I was a day trader in college, but it wasn't for me. You really have to be anal OCD to be a successful day trader. Penny stocks are super risky and they can be rough. They can launch and crash very quickly. I remember getting burned once buying Trump in 2007 and that left a bad taste in my mouth.

These days I write Stock Options on a regular basis. It is like printing money most of the time, especially in an up market. They're short term capital gains taxed as regular income, so you have to plan for taxes or else you'll be surprised in April.

Learning when to take profit is one of the hardest lessons to learn. The greed factor is deadly. With options I don't have to worry about that.

No but you have the whole time / decay, mental fortitude thing...

I agree with Jestep completely. I just watch and wait and when I feel momentum is slowing I sell and wait for it to drop. Usually after Opening a lot of people dump for profits pretty quick. I follow and then once then 10:00 dump comes I buy in again and wait til I see more profit and just repeat until I don't see much movement

• 4 weeks later...

The Avengers: Age of Ultron is coming out May 1st. The last Avengers movie was the number one grossing film of 2012. Disney owns Marvel. I bought today at $107 and plan to sell on or around May 15th. Attendance is usually up and up the first two weeks and then begins to decline. Some movies can go further but I'm conservative.

I have done the same with the last two Hunger Games movies that came out in 2013 and 2014. The next one is due November 20, 2015.

I entered the trade by writing the $115 put option for $8 in premium. What that means is someone in the market paid me $8 per share to cover the stocks that they already possess. They bought insurance on the stock going down and I sold it because I think it's going up. On May 15th the stock price will determine how much I get on the trade, up to the maximum amount of $8 per share. I will generally close it out when I have gotten 90% of the premium amount. The rate of return on the collateral in the trade is 16%.

I'm sorry that I don't have an easier answer for you. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

I used to play the market a lot, but for the past 4 years, my job has required a lot more of my time so I was not able to pay as close attention / spend lots of time doing research. So I shifted my investing strategy - from about half individual socks, to 0. All of my investments are in very low expense ratio index mutual funds or ETFs. Almost all Vanguard. It's basically the best option to be on autopilot, and still maximize returns. The other benefit is less stress or worry, and it consumes almost none of my time.

Now the only thing I watch for are any major corrections so I can buy more. I try to keep a decent amount of cash ready to buy more ETFs every time the market goes down 5 or more percent.

VO, VOO, VTI, VYM, VOOV, VOOG are some of my favorites.

Basically, read the Bogleheads guide to investing. http://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Larimore/dp/0470067365'> http://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Larimore/dp/0470067365 I know it's not sexy, nor exciting, but it works.

I use Charles Schwab because they allow me to keep all of my accounts in one place. It makes for easy transfers.

Schwab is one of the better options. I think Vanguard, Schwab, and Fidelity are all pretty much the best choices - lowest fees, good funds with low expenses. What stinks is that I can't consolidate all of my (and my wife's) accounts into 1 place. I use USAA for my IRAs, and brokerage account just because they have really low fees, and that's where almost all of my money and insurance is anyways.

Unfortunately I have no company sponsored plan right now so I have to use a regular brokerage account. My wife's company has plans through Lincoln Financial (TERRIBLE!) but, they offer SDBAs (Self Directed Brokerage Accounts) through Ameritrade - which I'm not a big fan of, but at least we get to choose whatever investments there. So we moved all of her money into the SDBAs and just bought some Vanguard Admiral index mutual funds.

No, neither my wife nor I, but both of our fathers were. Meg's dad was in the Air Force, and mine was in the Coast Guard. I love USAA. It's probably the only bank that people actually say nice things about and don't feel like they're just there to screw me over.

It's strange but for some reason a lot of military people are in the reefkeeping hobby. The same was true back in Michigan. Just shows we're in good company I suppose. :)

I'm 3rd generation military. Men in my family have fought in every war since WWII. My wife is also 3rd gen going back to the Korean War. We met in the Air Force back in 2008. Lots of good memories there, but life doesn't always go according to plan.

USAA was planning to open a headquarters here in Austin, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while. They offered me a job, but I didn't want to move to SA. Now I work for the state and it is unlikely I will leave. I agree with you though. It is the most friendly bank I've ever seen. To this day I won't do business with Bank of America due to bad experiences.

That's a crazy cool family history. Being around a lot of friends and family in the military, we always grew up with a lot of respect for people willing to serve.

Nice 47% run on #OWOO today. I just cashed out a $4700 profit!!

I hope some of you sat and waited and are ready for the next week. Cause I think you will see more days like this. Just don't get caught up chasing money and make sure to buy in the dips and sell as high as possible.

This isn't a stock you just hold for life. You flip in and out and when the time is right.

Archived