Fiji vs. Indonesia Fish

12_egg_omelette

I was wondering if anyone could help me understand why there is a price difference for the same fish from vendors depending on the location they are from. Even though they are the same size and the same fish.

For example Clown Goby, Green (Indonesia) - Small $6.99 Vs. (Fiji) for $8.99

I'm sure logistics are incorporated into the price. Are you looking at liveaquaria?

Also, certain fish's coloration varies from where they are harvested. For instance, the regal angelfish has a more orange-ish body with a blue chest if from the Red Sea, but more of a yellow body with yellow chest if from the Indo-Pacific. The desirability of the color of the Red Sea variants makes them more expensive.

I'm sure logistics are incorporated into the price. Are you looking at liveaquaria?

Also, certain fish's coloration varies from where they are harvested. For instance, the regal angelfish has a more orange-ish body with a blue chest if from the Red Sea, but more of a yellow body with yellow chest if from the Indo-Pacific. The desirability of the color of the Red Sea variants makes them more expensive.

That's exactly what I was looking at, I wasn't sure if it was a cost issue or one fish temperament might be different and better suited for a tank setup differently. But your response does shed some light on this. I've been wanting one of these little guys for a while now.

Typically the indo-pacific I hear has higher survival rates... possibly due to the way they are harvested or the logistics of them arriving in the States.

The red sea one's are prettier in my opinion. I am planning on adding a red sea variant to my tank. I will probably be keeping a real good eye on my zoas and prepared to move them when he decides they look too tasty. The hard part is to get them to eat. I would not buy one that I don't see eating in the store first. Also, smaller one's are usually better to buy as the larger one's tend to have problems adjusting to tank life. Hope that helps!

They had 2 at River City Aquatics the other day. One is from indo-pacific and the other is the red sea variant. They can get both... just call and ask them to and they'll usually be able to get it in very quickly. The red sea one was sold by accident yesterday... was holding it for me, but they are ordering me another one. Just talk to Jake and tell him Ty sent ya! wave.gif

Archived