Dual Personality Frag Tank

Reburn

If you can change your order for the larger frag tank I think that's a superb idea. 48x24 is fine but I think there's a good chance you would be wanting more space in a relatively short time. Especially when all your support equipment and stand can handle a bigger tank

My metal fabricator buys the feet from his metal supplier. I'm pretty sure they are standard fare.

• Like 1

That's easy. No more than 24" top to bottom. 24-30" front to back. Preferably 30" and probably 60-72" side to side. My ideal is 60x30x24.

But based on this frag tank cost and build time I'm a looooooonnnnnnggggggg way out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is bud. May will be when this bad boy gets spun up. You posted right as I was fixing to post an update too.

After looking a Richards tank and discussing the good and bad and after talking in depth with a commercial coral grower to get the light spread and gradient I'm looking to do I will be running 2 mogul based MH with 20k radiums flying about 14" off the water. I'm going to get both bulbs a 250 and a 400 to start with to test par levels. I will also be running some T5 supplements in the ATI blue plus range. The ballasts are now going to be Solis Tek 400w/250w http://www.solis-tek.com/digital-ballasts/solistek-400-digital-ballast.html
They have the best reviews from the THC growers. They are ordered. The lumenarc reflectors have been ordered as well. They are 20"x20"

Oh yea. And the tank is now maxed to the stand at;
72" long x 32" wide x 12" deep. Total running water volume will be about 180.

• Like 4

Thanks on the lighting Ty I'm really excited about it. A lot of the pieces will be here next week so I can start building the ladder bar.

Reef Savvy is almost always about 6 months lead time. They just have that much work in front of them. There is just Felix (the owner) and one other guy that build them. the reason why I'm ok with waiting for a reef savvy is for the ghost overflow. It is supposed to be the quietest in the business. His glass work,silicone work and attention to build details is also supposed to be second to no one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

The stand is in production and I will have it in about 18 days. At that point I will Rhino Coat it and top it and skin it. It is being built out of 11ga 2" square tubing. The stand will weigh 185lbs and be able to support significantly more weight then the frag tank will ever be.

Here are the final drawings and engineering calculations.

post-3632-0-18085600-1423626904_thumb.jp

post-3632-0-62136000-1423626821_thumb.jp

post-3632-0-98083800-1423626839_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Just patiently waiting for my spot in line. May seems so far away. Since the stand is in production I have been focusing on the skin and top for the stand and getting the light ladder bar built. It is currently on hold waiting for the Hamilton cayman sun reflectors to come in. They were back ordered for 2 weeks. I have all of the T5 fixtures and lamps. I am going to start with ATI Blue plus and UVL 454 lamps for supplement to the 400w and 250w radium lamps. I found a good deal on some metal hot spot diffusers that I'm going to experiment with on the halides. They are 2 different kind of metal diffusers. I don't think one will be needed on the 400w SPS side but for the zoa side I might need one.

On a personal note I am getting anxious, I knew going into this that reef savvy had a 6 month lead time but waiting for it isn't much fun. The upside is it does allow me plenty of time to plan and build all the support systems. The down side is I am trying to hold buying more coral. I had a good opportunity at a space invaders pectina frag for a great price but I had to pass since they can't be crowded with their sweeper tentacles. I know there will be more coral later so I am trying to remain patient.

• Like 1

They are supposed to be really good. We shall see. The waiting does give you plenty of time to upgrade water free. The tank has gone from 48x24x12 to 72x24x12 to the final size maxed to the stand at 72x32x12.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update #1

So I expected to have the stand here by now. I had to bump it for some other projects for work. It is finished but I have yet to go to pick it up. I'm trying to coordinate my trip to Yokaum to take them some material for another project for work. Hopefully I'll make it there next week.

Update #2

The Hamilton Cozumel sun reflectors fiiiinnnaaalllllyyyyy showed up after being on back order for 8 stinking weeks. It was worth it though. They are exactly what I wanted. The Solis Tek E-Ballasts fired up perfectly. Yes one MH fixture is 400w radium and the other is a 250w radium. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks I will start construction on the ladder bar with the 6 24" T5 fixtures. The T5 fixtures will be a mix of ATI blue plus and UVL 454.

post-3632-0-23514600-1427559138_thumb.jp

post-3632-0-03823300-1427559244_thumb.jp

post-3632-0-07585000-1427559271_thumb.jp

All I lack is ordering the bubble counter and 90 degree fitting on the regulator. It is a victor SGT 500 stainless steel dual stage regulator with all SS pieces, a kip 3w solenoid that is capable of closing a 3000psi bottle and a swagelok series 21 needle valve.

I know most reefers don't care but to the planted freshwater guys this is the holy grail regulator combination. Also most 1w solenoids are only capable of closing 1000psi. Which is why the 3w. The kip solenoids also run a lot cooler which decreases the risk of a solenoid failure.

post-3632-0-59016700-1427564808_thumb.jp

post-3632-0-50302100-1427564278_thumb.jp

post-3632-0-54190800-1427564291_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Yea I'm getting excited. It's truely been a slow build but I think all the advance planning will pay off well. Such as having my rock cycled for 4 months and covered in coraline before the tank even starts :)

They are quiet too. No noise and they run cool to the touch. I ran everything for 2 hours or so. The ballets were still cool. The shrouds over the reflectors was warm but not too hot to touch.

The reflectors came with glass shields. Does anyone actually use them on mogul MH? The glass adds a lot of weight to the fixtures and I'm sure traps lots of heat inside.

For moguls I don't, since I'm sure you already know that the SE bulbs already have built-in UV protection. If you are running your lights lower over your tank though, I could see the benefit of glass shields to reduce splatter on the reflective aluminum side.