Water changes- How often and how much?

something to reef on

Curious to know what other people are doing. I don't do them routinely, and would like to stop doing them all together, or as infrequent as practical. I have been maintaining elements via dosing 2-part and red sea ABCD trace elements.

I'm keeping mostly lps and a few softies,and have been mostly successful so far (no great feat, I know). I've been having mixed results with sps for the short time I've had them. I think my higher than average alk (11-12), and improperly acclimating to high light levels are the reasons for the bleaching I've seen in a couple of them, some of which are coloring up again already.

What are the cons to not doing regular water changes if I am able to maintain low nutrient levels without them, and replenishing lost elements via dosing?

I'm on the no water changes team. I do think a large volume of water definitely helps with that. I didn't do water changes on my 125-gallon other than a couple at the beginning of its 3-year history. I maintained low nutrients via biopellets, GFO, carbon, and a large skimmer. I added elements back in via my calcium reactor and dosing amino acids... and on occasion iodine. Here was the end result before I upgraded to my 215-gallon.

I kept a mix of softies, LPS, and mostly SPS.

I'm in the water change camp. Here's one of my systems that was started in 1992. Most of the corals have been in this system since the mid '90s. No supplements except maybe a couple times a year araga-might might be added. (And horror of horrors last time I checked phosphates were above 2 ppm.)

And here's a much younger mixed system, again no skimmer but it did have both a calcium reactor and kalkwasser (see Dlebeek and Sprung's Reef Aquarium Vol III) but no other supplements/additives

And here's another skimmerless system started in '97, the small birdsnest is the first coral addition since 2000 and this system has had turkey wing clams successfully reproduce. Again no supplements/additives.

One problem is at best skimming only removes about a third of the TOC, Total Organic Carbon, from a system. There are thousands of compounds that fall under the heading of TOC some of which are refractory in nature meaning they can only be removed by dilution. Juabert demonstrated back in the 80's reef aquaria could be kept without water changes OR additives and supplements for years so going without water changes is nothing new. Here's a series of article on research done by Feldman, et al, at Pennsylvania State University looking at carbon, TOC and skimming:

Ganulated Activated Carbon pt. 1 & 2
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/aafeature1
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/aafeature1

Total Organic Carbon in Aquaria
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/8/aafeature3
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/9/aafeature2

Protein Skimate Analysis
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature

Protein Skimmer Performance
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature2
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature

Bacterial Counts in Aquaria vs Reefs
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature

I've been pretty busy lately. Probably 10 gallons on my 90 every 2 months mainly to make sure that micro nutrients and trace elements aren't completely exhausted. But I would imagine feeding would contribute a lot of these so no idea how much it's actually needed.

But if you can't keep your nutrient levels in check via some method, they're a necessity IMO.

Just based on observation, of keeping a 5, 8, 28, 48, and 90 gallon tanks, the smaller the tank, the more likely they are a requirements. Under 50 gallons, I had a hard time keeping a balance without significant weekly changes. Once I hit around 50, it was almost like a stability switch and I didn't need to do them nearly as much. Around 100 it seems like they are hardly needed at all.

My 8month old 90 gallon system. I have only done 1 20 gallon waterchange. Not my intensions but lifes unfortunate events have limited my budget for my tank. I think it is doing really good though. Things r slow growing but im finally getting coraline on my back glass and the fish look healthy. I feed once a day mysis and plankton for my fish and coral and 2 pieces of shrimp for my snowflake eel. I keep a top off container full of rodi water so the tank keeps stabil salinity. I add 4 drops of lugols iodine every monday. Pretty simple setup. Hope I was helpful

post-1264-0-62644300-1414157320_thumb.jp

I'm in the no water changes camp.

I'm running a 34 solona so I don't run bio pellets or gfo reactors. I only due a water change when I need to bring down a pollutant. Which hasn't been for quite some time. Sometimes I feel guilty and will do a wc out of thin air but it seems even with buffering ph, salinity and alk perfectly something gets pissed off for a couple days. So at the end I just gave up doing water changes unless it is really needed. I dose Kalk in my ato and a hand full of other AAs and elements when my tests show that they are low. I'm in the camp of don't dose something you can't test for with the exception of aminos.

Ever since I upgrade from 30 to 80 gallon total volume. I have done only 5 gallon water changes every 3-4 weeks. My goal is to go to no water changes after I observe and test to see how things go the longer I push off water changes. I have some green hair and some red cyano that has bloomed over past two weeks. Tank has been up since about April 2014. I suppliment and skim and have rowaphos in reactor and passive carbon filtrate. Also I have a refugium.

Wow, I'm surprised at the amount of people doing no or very small water changes. I was under the impression that water changes were a necessity ... I still have lots to learn!

I have been doing a 20 gallon change on my 75 gallon tank once a week or every other week depending on my schedule.

Wow, I'm surprised at the amount of people doing no or very small water changes. I was under the impression that water changes were a necessity ... I still have lots to learn!

I have been doing a 20 gallon change on my 75 gallon tank once a week or every other week depending on my schedule.

One thing to consider is that water changes are directly relate to nitrate export. Some systems have a low bioload and don't need many water changes to export nitrates before they reach excess. Some systems may have means to remove nutrients before they fully decay, like skimmers or manual collection, and some may chemically bind nutrients with GFO. Some systems have a means to export nitrates from the system such as biopellets or macroalgae and may never need water changes if all parameters remain consistent.

• 2 weeks later...

I also don't do water changes and maintain with dosing 2 part and kalk. I have recently started a new project which involves vacuuming the sandbed into a micron filter sock into a 5 gallon bucket then with a TLF carbon reactor I let it run for about an hour then recycle it back into the tank.

I also don't do water changes and maintain with dosing 2 part and kalk. I have recently started a new project which involves vacuuming the sandbed into a micron filter sock into a 5 gallon bucket then with a TLF carbon reactor I let it run for about an hour then recycle it back into the tank.

That actually seems like a pretty good idea

Here is my new and improved Reef Water Recycler (RWR) (cc) (patent pending)

I plug it into a foot pedal from harbor freight that you can pick up for $12 to control power, pull the water into a micron filter clipped onto a bucket. Once the bucket is full I shut off the pump using the foot pedal. Move the super dirty micro filter into another bucket so I can wash it out while the original bucket has a carbon reactor running

I found I was wasting way too much water when attempting to clean my sandbed and causing undue stress to my fish and coral because of the water changes.

Mainly due to temperature differences which affected my fish and the elements in saltwater did not match the elements in my tank so this affected my corals.

With the new RWR I am able to pull out loads of gunk and recycle the clean water saving me money on Salt, RO/DI water, Fish, and Corals.

I am still in the early stages of my project but I am satisfied with the results so far.

post-1271-0-57129800-1415207974_thumb.jpg

post-1271-0-41756900-1415208159_thumb.jpg

First thing that popped in my mind was the hair algae and bubble algae removal wand. Elizzy was experimenting with stainless steel wands sharpened for bubble algae removal ...

Here's v2. It's a bit smaller but easier to put into tight spaces. Still need to zip tie the pump to the handle but as you can see in the vid it's working great. Gets the gunk out and recycles the water without disrupting anything else.

Archived